or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf...cool or not???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf...cool or not??? - Page 3

Poll Results: Is golf cool?

 
  • 75% (41)
    Yes
  • 24% (13)
    No
54 Total Votes  
post #37 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Chicks dig banjos!

:-P


Yeah if I get out the clubs and the banjo the chicks just can't stay away. :-D

post #38 of 125
"Cool" is over rated, I think only 16 year olds care about cool.. Having said that, I doubt golf would get a very high percentage of non golfers to vote yes on this poll!

I respectfully abstain ;) from the vote
post #39 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 


Yeah if I get out the clubs and the banjo the chicks just can't stay away. :-D

LMAO the only thing that picture is missing is the tumble weed rolling through. Great pic.

post #40 of 125
If you think about it:

Football, you wear funny looking pads all over your body, even on your buttocks, same with hockey.

Baseball, you wear tights with funny labels on them.

Rock climbing and cycling you wear stupid "happy" looking clothing, and hang gear off your belt. Note that I did mountaineering and I mostly looked like a puffy penguin in brightly colored parkas.

No sport is without "uncool".

Golf is a tad bit more dignified IMHO. a3_biggrin.gif
post #41 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

If you think about it:

Football, you wear funny looking pads all over your body, even on your buttocks, same with hockey.

Baseball, you wear tights with funny labels on them.

Rock climbing and cycling you wear stupid "happy" looking clothing, and hang gear off your belt. Note that I did mountaineering and I mostly looked like a puffy penguin in brightly colored parkas.

No sport is without "uncool".

Golf is a tad bit more dignified IMHO. a3_biggrin.gif

I do agree that uniforms are worn in sports and some do look funny. with the padding, thats more a protection issue. Also I've been out in public and I see either at the bar/sports lounge, poker table or just local coffee shop, more people will wear a hockey jersey or football jersey of their fav team or player. golf I usually only see hats.

post #42 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

I do agree that uniforms are worn in sports and some do look funny. with the padding, thats more a protection issue. Also I've been out in public and I see either at the bar/sports lounge, poker table or just local coffee shop, more people will wear a hockey jersey or football jersey of their fav team or player. golf I usually only see hats.


The pads are still "uncool." Nobody wears those to the bar.

 

Golf clothes are perfectly fine in a business setting on casual days. The same is rarely true of a football jersey, or baseball pants, etc.

post #43 of 125
We could always get six or eight kids together and play football, tackle football that is without pads.. And without uniforms, we play flag football now a days.. We can still do the same with "wiffle" ball but it is just another version of baseball and that had no uniforms..

I think hockey is on the same level as golf as it wasn't easily accessible so not many people are interested in it.

Golf is just more of an individual sport so they will always have a hard time getting people involved.. Soccer, baseball, football are just more intriguing that's all!
post #44 of 125
What does cool mean?
post #45 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

We could always get six or eight kids together and play football, tackle football that is without pads.. And without uniforms, we play flag football now a days.. We can still do the same with "wiffle" ball but it is just another version of baseball and that had no uniforms..

 

You can always play mini golf. Or disc golf. Or just make a course in your yard with wiffle balls (Bubba style).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

I think hockey is on the same level as golf as it wasn't easily accessible so not many people are interested in it.

 

You have heard of roller hockey right? We got kids together and played it in the streets.

post #46 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 


The pads are still "uncool." Nobody wears those to the bar.

 

Golf clothes are perfectly fine in a business setting on casual days. The same is rarely true of a football jersey, or baseball pants, etc.

some polo shirts are, not many people will wear some of the wild stuff that has been released over the past few years. and generally in the past golf has had some very "questionable" fashion. Where as most team jerseys (not all) come in very toned down colours and will be worn by fans out in public more so then golf shirts. Mainly cause (IMO) football and hockey and baseball are cooler to the masses then what golf is. During the world cup, euro cup, or champions league you always see fans wearing the jersey of their country or favourite team. they fly mini flags from car windows. During a golf major or even rider cup you don't see that out in public.

post #47 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangator View Post

What does cool mean?

if you don't know, you probably aren't cool. a3_biggrin.gif
post #48 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

if you don't know, you probably aren't cool. a3_biggrin.gif
Yeah most of us can just look in the mirror and answer that question!c2_beer.gif
post #49 of 125

I have reached that age where I could care less ... in fact; shitting yourself is acceptable at my age ... and this the ultimate uncool. :-D

post #50 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

some polo shirts are, not many people will wear some of the wild stuff that has been released over the past few years. and generally in the past golf has had some very "questionable" fashion. Where as most team jerseys (not all) come in very toned down colours and will be worn by fans out in public more so then golf shirts. Mainly cause (IMO) football and hockey and baseball are cooler to the masses then what golf is. During the world cup, euro cup, or champions league you always see fans wearing the jersey of their country or favourite team. they fly mini flags from car windows. During a golf major or even rider cup you don't see that out in public.

 

You really should stop speaking as if your opinion or perception of things are facts.

 

Too many instances of such to respond to them individually. I'll just say that if you think that more people wear jerseys out than polo shirts, you live in a very unusual place.

 

Golfers don't - duh - have "jerseys" that fans can wear out in public. Plus, unlike most sports, golfers aren't relegated to ROOTING for others to play the game. The vast majority of NFL fans don't play anything resembling NFL football. The same is untrue of golfers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post
 

I have reached that age where I could care less ... in fact; shitting yourself is acceptable at my age ... and this the ultimate uncool. :-D

 

How much less could you care? A lot? A little?

post #51 of 125
Thread Starter 

Living in Canada hockey is all most sports fans talk about, not to say they only like hockey. The accessibility of the sport was always there, from road hockey to leagues to playing with mini sticks in the basement with a rolled up ball of tape. Yes hockey is a very expensive sport to play. from the equipment to league fees and booking extra ice time for practice. But that doesn't mean people cant play the game. Like I said, the accessibility was always there. Not everyone could play in leagues but it wasn't hard to just own a stick and play street hockey. Here hockey is cool weather you're a fan of the sport or not the notoriety the sport brings to the masses is what makes it so "cool". When team Canada plays hockey non sports fans can be seen wearing hockey jerseys out in public. It just is what it is. Sadly golf is a more individual sport and therefore doesn't get the team bonding mentality other sports get. 

 

So when a guy like Tiger comes along and a game gets flipped into a craze that makes people want to golf that have never golfed before. Companies willing to venture into a new sports market from what they were currently know for then yes (IMO) that is when golf was "cool" just absorbing all the hype it got when you see what a single person did for the game is truly amazing. Everyone from all ethnic backgrounds wanted to be a part of golf in some way shape or form. I think it has fizzled out not which is a shame because baseball found a way to make the game fun to watch again (no not for all) hockey fixed the "boring" 1-0 games that took place in the mid 90's. Football is always exciting (not so much for me). but come sunday I'll even check out scores or watch a game and fantasy football made it even better. 

 

I like golf a lot but I think it has fizzled out and something is missing or needs to be changed. when you watch on tv all you see is a drive then sky and then camera following the rolling ball assuming the camera man hasn't lost track of it. But when they show the shot tracker you actually see the flight path of the ball. Making it easier to watch.

 

I think with the play 9 campaign and the relaxed rules popularity might help the sport out and more people will benefit.  

post #52 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

I do agree that uniforms are worn in sports and some do look funny. with the padding, thats more a protection issue. Also I've been out in public and I see either at the bar/sports lounge, poker table or just local coffee shop, more people will wear a hockey jersey or football jersey of their fav team or player. golf I usually only see hats.

Even though, I disagree with the facts of this statement in general, you seem to be equating "cool" as being more acceptable to general public.

As Iacas stated, I think more people wear golf shirts (or polo shirts) in general than team jerseys.  You just don't seem to realize that polo shirts which are ubiquitous are worn by golfers and general public.  You just can't distinguish people who play golf and wear their polo shirts in public from those who do not play golf but also wear polo shirts in public.

 

If you think wearing hockey or football jersey is cool, you are solely mistaken--at least in my book, they are the least "cool" shirts. 

post #53 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

You really should stop speaking as if your opinion or perception of things are facts.

 

Too many instances of such to respond to them individually. I'll just say that if you think that more people wear jerseys out than polo shirts, you live in a very unusual place.

 

Golfers don't - duh - have "jerseys" that fans can wear out in public. Plus, unlike most sports, golfers aren't relegated to ROOTING for others to play the game. The vast majority of NFL fans don't play anything resembling NFL football. The same is untrue of golfers.

 

 

The polo shirts I see people wearing out in public are nothing like the polo shirts I see on the golf course. And If you think nobody wears jerseys then you haven't been to a sporting event or sports bar in a very long time. I know that golfers don't-duh-have jerseys. But they do wear a more socially acceptable outfit yet people wear the cotton polo to work maybe a basic colour not the dri-fit wild colours and patterns you see in the stores. However at the bar people will wear a jersey which is less fashionable then a polo, especially a new age golf dri-fit style polo. 

 

No I never said these were facts I simply said I notice more of one then the other. But it seems like you are upset over the whole football jersey comment anyway and you are only going to look at this in one way and thats your way. If you want to continue to be close minded on the subject, knock yourself out. 

post #54 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
 

Even though, I disagree with the facts of this statement in general, you seem to be equating "cool" as being more acceptable to general public.

As Iacas stated, I think more people wear golf shirts (or polo shirts) in general than team jerseys.  You just don't seem to realize that polo shirts which are ubiquitous are worn by golfers and general public.  You just can't distinguish people who play golf and wear their polo shirts in public from those who do not play golf but also wear polo shirts in public.

 

If you think wearing hockey or football jersey is cool, you are solely mistaken--at least in my book, they are the least "cool" shirts. 

Lets get one thing clear right away, I don't think jerseys in public are fashionable or cool. I have nothing against it just couldn't care less if i see it or not. However the point you guys seem to be missing is what golfers wear on the course is generally different from the polos i see people wearing on an everyday basis. On the course I see puma with wild patterns, same goes for adidas and loud mouth. out in public I see toned down polos, simple white, black or red with no pattern and usually a basic cotton. Both golfers and non golfers wear pants yet I don't see people wearing golf pants out in public compared to just your regular slacks or pants that i see people wearing either to work or with a sport coat at a restaurant. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf...cool or not???