or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf...cool or not???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf...cool or not??? - Page 4

Poll Results: Is golf cool?

 
  • 75% (41)
    Yes
  • 24% (13)
    No
54 Total Votes  
post #55 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangator View Post

What does cool mean?

 

Coolness is in the eye of the beholder, making this discussion a bit complicated.

 

Quote:
 Coolness is an admired aesthetic of attitude, behavior, comportment, appearance and style, influenced by and a product of the Zeitgeist. Because of the varied and changing connotations of cool, as well its subjective nature, the word has no single meaning. It has associations of composure and self-control (cf. the OEDdefinition) and often is used as an expression of admiration or approval. Although commonly regarded as slang, it is widely used among disparate social groups, and has endured in usage for generations.

 

I like this theory:

 

Quote:
Cool as a positive trait

 

According to this theory, coolness is a subjective, dynamic, socially-constructed trait, such that coolness is in the eye of the beholder. People perceive things (e.g., other people, products or brands) to be cool based on an inference of “autonomy”. That is, something is perceived to be cool when it follows its own motivations. However, this theory proposes that the level of autonomy that leads to coolness is constrained - inappropriate levels of autonomy, such that the autonomy is too high or opposes a legitimate norm, do not lead to perceptions of coolness. The level of autonomy considered appropriate is influenced by individual difference variables. For example, people who think of societal institutions and authority as unjust or repressive perceive coolness at higher levels of autonomy than those who are less critical of social norms and authority.

post #56 of 125

Who said golf isn't cool?

 

 

 

 

 

I voted no because I know better....but don't care...

post #57 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

The polo shirts I see people wearing out in public are nothing like the polo shirts I see on the golf course.

 

:sigh:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

And If you think nobody wears jerseys then you haven't been to a sporting event or sports bar in a very long time.

 

:sigh:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

I know that golfers don't-duh-have jerseys. But they do wear a more socially acceptable outfit yet people wear the cotton polo to work maybe a basic colour not the dri-fit wild colours and patterns you see in the stores.

 

 

Crazy! WIld!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

No I never said these were facts I simply said I notice more of one then the other. But it seems like you are upset over the whole football jersey comment anyway and you are only going to look at this in one way and thats your way. If you want to continue to be close minded on the subject, knock yourself out. 

 

You seem to put tremendous weight on your opinions and what you think you see.

 

I'm not upset, and you also seem to make a lot of assumptions.
 

Close-minded? Ha. Thanks for the chuckle. :-) 

post #58 of 125
Thread Starter 

And for those thinking I'm only equating cool with socially acceptable. Britney Spears would release an album and sell millions and millions of copies. Same with Lady Gaga n'sync and whatever other bubble gum teenie bopper group was out there. I never thought their music was cool. I personally think it is horrible and to be called music might as well slap musicians the world over in the face. But it was my opinion on cool, others love that type of music and think it is cool. Opinions are a great thing. We live in Countries that give us this freedom. I like when people don't see things my way and give a reason as to why. Cutting down opinions and observations (never stated as facts) shows a lot for ones character. 

post #59 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

Cutting down opinions and observations (never stated as facts) shows a lot for ones character. 

 

Knock it off. Talk about the topic, not the people discussing the topics or the disagreements they have with not only your opinions, but how you go about expressing them.

 

It's generally considered poor form to express opinions as you do. At best, they're generalities, and yet you say them as if they're just a fact. They may not even be generally true.

 

I don't care if golf is "cool" or not. Depends on the person you ask. I care if it's fun, or rewarding, or a great way to spend time with my friends or family. Whether it's "cool" or not is WAY down on the list.

post #60 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post

And If you think nobody wears jerseys then you haven't been to a sporting event or sports bar in a very long time.
LOL that's like going out to the boardwalk and saying, "Wow, a lot of people wear bikinis in public nowadays!"

But in all seriousness, have you considered the fact that sports team jerseys tend to stand out more than just a regular collared shirt or polo, so your mind registers more people wearing jerseys? I know lots of people who wear polos who don't even golf.
post #61 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Knock it off. Talk about the topic, not the people discussing the topics or the disagreements they have with not only your opinions, but how you go about expressing them.

 

It's generally considered poor form to express opinions as you do. At best, they're generalities, and yet you say them as if they're just a fact. They may not even be generally true.

 

I don't care if golf is "cool" or not. Depends on the person you ask. I care if it's fun, or rewarding, or a great way to spend time with my friends or family. Whether it's "cool" or not is WAY down on the list.

Yet here you are talking about it. I would be impressed if you can find where I said any of this was fact. Most of my statements come with a (IMO) as in "in my opinion" 

 

Whats poor form? expressing what I have noticed in my short term of being on this earth? Noticing that I see (in the places I have been) that there are more people wearing other sporting apparel then golf. 

 

And I'm the one that started this thread because I have noticed that golf is not talked about the way it once was. Numbers are down in golf across the board (that is a fact!) so is it due to not being "cool" anymore or in part by something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


LOL that's like going out to the boardwalk and saying, "Wow, a lot of people wear bikinis in public nowadays!"

But in all seriousness, have you considered the fact that sports team jerseys tend to stand out more than just a regular collared shirt or polo, so your mind registers more people wearing jerseys? I know lots of people who wear polos who don't even golf.

The people that wear polos are they your typical cotton polo or your golf style polo i.e dri-fit style shimmery material? What i notice for the ones wearing polos out in public is that they are of the basic cotton. Ones I don't generally see on the course

 

 

Hey I finally figured out that multi quote :banana: took me enough tries :doh:

post #62 of 125
I'm 15, in highschool, and I consider it cool. I'm on the jv golf team and a lot of kids think it's pretty cool. When i golf with my buddies that don't golf as much as me( I mean don't have handicaps and only play with friends every now and then) they think it's pretty cool all the shots I can hit and everything that comes with being a decent golfer
post #63 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliek98 View Post

I'm 15, in highschool, and I consider it cool. I'm on the jv golf team and a lot of kids think it's pretty cool. When i golf with my buddies that don't golf as much as me( I mean don't have handicaps and only play with friends every now and then) they think it's pretty cool all the shots I can hit and everything that comes with being a decent golfer

 

Thats awesome, and its nice to hear from someone younger and what they and their friends think about the game. I hope you stick with it and add a little of your own personal flare to the game. It seems like maybe by playing more with your buds that don't golf as much and having them see the shots you make might get them out more and help build the game up again.

post #64 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

Yet here you are talking about it.

 

Why shouldn't I?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

I would be impressed if you can find where I said any of this was fact.

 

Please read what I've written. I said that you seem to put a lot of weight on your own statements, what you see, what you think you see, etc. For example, "Also I've been out in public and I see either at the bar/sports lounge, poker table or just local coffee shop, more people will wear a hockey jersey or football jersey of their fav team or player. golf I usually only see hats."

 

This contradicts the fact that "out in public" (not just in the sports bar, etc. but actually "out in public") there are a LOT more people wearing polo shirts than jerseys. Even in a football stadium you'll find a good number of people wearing polo shirts.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

Whats poor form? expressing what I have noticed in my short term of being on this earth? Noticing that I see (in the places I have been) that there are more people wearing other sporting apparel then golf.

 

Clearly, I was referring to the comment I quoted. Nobody, or at least not I, am saying that you can't share what you've "noticed." It's in poor form to say things that imply bizarre leaps of judgment about someone's "character" because they point out that what you've "noticed" is not the most solid of foundations.

 

Besides, a lot of people might think Nicki Minaj is "cool" but they don't go around dressed like her all the time… so considering how people dress is, IMO, a poor way of determining how "cool" something is.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

And I'm the one that started this thread because I have noticed that golf is not talked about the way it once was. Numbers are down in golf across the board (that is a fact!) so is it due to not being "cool" anymore or in part by something else?

 

IMO, most likely other things. Time, expense, the expansion of the work week (time), the increased role of the father in raising children… the difficulty of the sport.

 

Whether it's "cool" or not is likely way down on the list. It's not really ever been cool. There are plenty of studies out there that say that Tiger just happened to come along at a time when golf would have boomed regardless. It's not like he causes a surge in minorities playing golf, for example. It was a boom time, so people spent more lavishly. Golf benefitted for awhile. It's now adjusting and self-correcting. IMO.

post #65 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post

The people that wear polos are they your typical cotton polo or your golf style polo i.e dri-fit style shimmery material? What i notice for the ones wearing polos out in public is that they are of the basic cotton. Ones I don't generally see on the course
You must play with some pretty cool cats because most of the hacks around here play golf in cotton.
post #66 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post

Yet here you are talking about it. I would be impressed if you can find where I said any of this was fact. Most of my statements come with a (IMO) as in "in my opinion" 

Whats poor form? expressing what I have noticed in my short term of being on this earth? Noticing that I see (in the places I have been) that there are more people wearing other sporting apparel then golf. 

And I'm the one that started this thread because I have noticed that golf is not talked about the way it once was. Numbers are down in golf across the board (that is a fact!) so is it due to not being "cool" anymore or in part by something else?
The people that wear polos are they your typical cotton polo or your golf style polo i.e dri-fit style shimmery material? What i notice for the ones wearing polos out in public is that they are of the basic cotton. Ones I don't generally see on the course


Hey I finally figured out that multi quote c5_banana.gif  took me enough tries d2_doh.gif
I only own one actual golf polo, the rest of mine are just normal business casual shirts. Most people I know don't even wear those "golf polos" you are talking about on the course.
post #67 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Why shouldn't I?

 

Please read what I've written. I said that you seem to put a lot of weight on your own statements, what you see, what you think you see, etc. For example, "Also I've been out in public and I see either at the bar/sports lounge, poker table or just local coffee shop, more people will wear a hockey jersey or football jersey of their fav team or player. golf I usually only see hats."

 

This contradicts the fact that "out in public" (not just in the sports bar, etc. but actually "out in public") there are a LOT more people wearing polo shirts than jerseys. Even in a football stadium you'll find a good number of people wearing polo shirts.

 

 

Clearly, I was referring to the comment I quoted. Nobody, or at least not I, am saying that you can't share what you've "noticed." It's in poor form to say things that imply bizarre leaps of judgment about someone's "character" because they point out that what you've "noticed" is not the most solid of foundations.

 

Besides, a lot of people might think Nicki Minaj is "cool" but they don't go around dressed like her all the time… so considering how people dress is, IMO, a poor way of determining how "cool" something is.

 

 

IMO, most likely other things. Time, expense, the expansion of the work week (time), the increased role of the father in raising children… the difficulty of the sport.

 

Whether it's "cool" or not is likely way down on the list. It's not really ever been cool. There are plenty of studies out there that say that Tiger just happened to come along at a time when golf would have boomed regardless. It's not like he causes a surge in minorities playing golf, for example. It was a boom time, so people spent more lavishly. Golf benefitted for awhile. It's now adjusting and self-correcting. IMO.

 

They might not dress like her but how many people see Miley Cirus with her shaved side of head and followed in that trend on stick their tongue out like she does. How many people wore one glove when MJ came out with thriller. Look at all the crazy hairstyle brought on by musicians. Red leather jackets, bandanas tied around an ankle or wrist men wearing eyeliner or painting their nails black. music spawned a lot of fashion 

post #68 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post

Thats awesome, and its nice to hear from someone younger and what they and their friends think about the game. I hope you stick with it and add a little of your own personal flare to the game. It seems like maybe by playing more with your buds that don't golf as much and having them see the shots you make might get them out more and help build the game up again.
I have all the plans to stick with golf (I quit playing AAA Baseball to pursue golf) as for a personal flare and to add on the cotton golf shirt talk, I own about 10 polo shirts that are strictly made for golf( puma, slazenger, pebble beach brand) and at my golf club, 95% of the people id say wear non cotton golf shirts
post #69 of 125
At the High School, Golf is certainly not up there with basketball or football. However, every single kid on the Golf Team is a star on the football, basketball, or baseball team.
post #70 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliek98 View Post


I have all the plans to stick with golf (I quit playing AAA Baseball to pursue golf) as for a personal flare and to add on the cotton golf shirt talk, I own about 10 polo shirts that are strictly made for golf( puma, slazenger, pebble beach brand) and at my golf club, 95% of the people id say wear non cotton golf shirts

I remember you started a thread a few days back about struggling with part of your swing (I posted about growing pains and body still developing and chicks being a distraction). Just stick with it, you'll figure out the kinks. 

 

I'm with you, I see mostly dri-fit style shirts on the course but thats just what I see and own.  

post #71 of 125

To everyone that voted that golf is not cool:

 

 

golf-cart-hovercraft.jpeggolf-lingerie-set.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLqyqKh6Y0jxxV33zUrA-XjF7x2Kj7DUuusn4TaYMsPhedYZfyhgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4CplHONL6fEK4S3cfgYNG08NAVdoLmWZYdOKfVgzDiN71ch9QIQ

 

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_-oBO_hpQypn1daA5YxlGcKd-4g56qfLU505ScXorQbkvCyvQKgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv-ZuAoK8pJF_2HGgpGSqltvs6LENmwzSChloih_CQSDL8Wvqw_w

post #72 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

They might not dress like her but how many people see Miley Cirus with her shaved side of head and followed in that trend on stick their tongue out like she does. How many people wore one glove when MJ came out with thriller. Look at all the crazy hairstyle brought on by musicians. Red leather jackets, bandanas tied around an ankle or wrist men wearing eyeliner or painting their nails black. music spawned a lot of fashion 

 

A lot of people wear polo shirts. Even people who don't golf.

 

That's not even an opinion.

 

But I don't even know that this is particularly relevant. I don't know that "dressing like a golfer" means golf isn't cool. I'm currently dressed like a soccer player… because I have a soccer game coming up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf...cool or not???