or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf...cool or not???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf...cool or not??? - Page 5

Poll Results: Is golf cool?

 
  • 75% (41)
    Yes
  • 24% (13)
    No
54 Total Votes  
post #73 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

A lot of people wear polo shirts. Even people who don't golf.

 

That's not even an opinion.

 

But I don't even know that this is particularly relevant. I don't know that "dressing like a golfer" means golf isn't cool. I'm currently dressed like a soccer player… because I have a soccer game coming up.

You lost me dude! All I remember is you chimed in when I made the comment about why is it that I see more jerseys in sports bars/lounges and poker rooms then I do golf polos. not your regular everyday polo but golf polo. If you think golf is cool thats awesome! I don't see it thats all I'm saying and thats why I started this thread in the first place cause I wanted to know what people think of a game they play. I bet there are people that think D&D or world of Warcraft is cool, But I bet that there are others that probably think it is dorky but they like it and thats all that matters to them. its a release from their reality. I play fantasy football, hockey and baseball. I think all of those are completely nerdy but I like the challenge when I play with friends and we all dump in our $50-$150 for the season and play for something. But you can ask people that play fantasy sports and some might not think its nerdy.  

post #74 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

You lost me dude! All I remember is you chimed in when I made the comment about why is it that I see more jerseys in sports bars/lounges and poker rooms then I do golf polos. not your regular everyday polo but golf polo. If you think golf is cool thats 

 

 

They are kinda the same thing. I wear golf polos and reagular polos to work, to go out to dinner, to a bar, and to play golf. They are interchangeable. 

 

 

After the golf polo thing you lost me, now you went to DnD, then fantasy sports. Your all over the place man. I think you are loosing your self here. 

post #75 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

But I don't even know that this is particularly relevant. I don't know that "dressing like a golfer" means golf isn't cool.

I believe @BrownCoast is asserting that coolness is somehow linked to how many people dress like the professionals who play the sports. Which I feel is flawed argument, because professional sports players wear sweaters because it's their uniform. And uniforms are totally uncool.

 

Golf has a dress code, but no uniform requirements. So long as one remains within the confines of the code, one is free to wear whatever they please. You want to wear a white belt with a giant buckle? Sure thing. Purple shirt? That's okay, too. Alligator skin shoes? You bet. Knee high socks and knickers? If that's you thing, go for it. Cabbie hat? That's the epitome of cool. Point is, you rock whatever style you want. That's cool.

post #76 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


You must play with some pretty cool cats because most of the hacks around here play golf in cotton.

 

I play in cotton because it keeps me "cool".

 

Don't like synthetics because they are uncool. :-D

 

Actually I'm having a little fun with this thread but since the OP appears to be serious:

 

IMO being "cool" is something a person brings with them and it doesn't make much difference what they are doing. Whatever the cool kid in class decides he wants to do is suddenly cool and the other kids want to do it too.

 

Some have it and some don't and some couldn't care less. Nothing is worse than somebody trying to be cool when they are not.

 

If it's an uncool sport there sure are a lot of the coolest people in the world playing it (or trying to). ;-)

post #77 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

They are kinda the same thing. I wear golf polos and reagular polos to work, to go out to dinner, to a bar, and to play golf. They are interchangeable. 

 

 

After the golf polo thing you lost me, now you went to DnD, then fantasy sports. Your all over the place man. I think you are loosing your self here. 

It all started with what we think is cool. I mentioned that I notice more people in sports team jerseys out in public then golf polos. Another example would be (and maybe a better one) I see more football team hats or hockey team hats or baseball team hats then I do golf hats. Maybe it is cause I live in Canada and here Hockey is the number one sport. our hockey program has way more funding then golf Canada. Golf polos can be worn out for everyday life I'm not disputing that. but it is easy to distinguish that shimmery look of a "golf polo" then the dull look cotton brings. Then it started to shift to fashion and what was worn  and I think they thought I was under the assumption that golf attire out in public isn't cool. which finally lead to people dressing like their fav golfers or some crap like that. and finally we got so off topic about if people think golf is cool or not that it strictly became about fashion. I don't care about the fashion I was only saying I had noticed more of one thing then the other.

 

The D&D and fantasy was an attempt to get back on topic that just cause people play D&D or fantasy sports doesn't mean that outsiders might think its cool and doesn't mean that the people playing it even think its cool. I know a lot of people that don't play either of those and they don't think it is cool. I like fantasy sports as I like golf, Don't think either is cool. I play them cause I like them. I no longer play in a band but I think playing in a band is cool.   

 

none of this was about golf is uncool therefore its stupid. It was started cause I had noticed a boom in golf's popularity when Tiger hit the scene and now it is no longer there. So I wanted to see what people thought.

 

The golf polo thing, well it just seems like some people were stuck on that one thing (which as it seems was a poor decision on my part for an example) and missing the point of if we think something we enjoy is cool to us. The popularity has dropped everyone knows that I just wanted to know what we think of the game we all enjoy playing


Edited by BrownCoast - 8/22/14 at 7:48pm
post #78 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

Lets get one thing clear right away, I don't think jerseys in public are fashionable or cool. I have nothing against it just couldn't care less if i see it or not. However the point you guys seem to be missing is what golfers wear on the course is generally different from the polos i see people wearing on an everyday basis. On the course I see puma with wild patterns, same goes for adidas and loud mouth. out in public I see toned down polos, simple white, black or red with no pattern and usually a basic cotton. Both golfers and non golfers wear pants yet I don't see people wearing golf pants out in public compared to just your regular slacks or pants that i see people wearing either to work or with a sport coat at a restaurant.

I don't see NASCAR fans wearing fireproof jumpsuits, women wearing those cute little tennis outfits or guys wearing baseball pants to bars either so not sure what your point is. 

post #79 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I don't see NASCAR fans wearing fireproof jumpsuits, women wearing those cute little tennis outfits or guys wearing baseball pants to bars either so not sure what your point is. 

I see a lot of people wearing nascar jackets and hats or clothing advertising their sport or sports team and if you took a second to read the last thread you would see this had nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with how we think of golf!!! So maybe you would know the point I was trying to make was about the game and popularity of it opposed to the fashion. the shirt comment was an example. 

 

and safety equipment...thats your best dumbass retort. and a lot of women wear short skirts with the shorts sewn in them. I think they're called skorts or some sh*t like that. and just cause they don't wear the pants doesn't mean they don't wear the jersey. And this was never about fashion!!!

 

Some people will never get it!?! :doh: 

post #80 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post

And this was never about fashion!!!

Not until you made it about fashion, it wasn't.
post #81 of 125
Way cool!
post #82 of 125
Youre proving your own point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post

Some people will never get it!?! d2_doh.gif  

Golf is cool? Who f-ing cares? Its what Im passionate about.
post #83 of 125

Yep golf is cool!

 

post #84 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

if you don't know, you probably aren't cool. a3_biggrin.gif

I was a nerd in HS although I was pretty athletic. Never part of the "cool" crowd. Most of them died of drug overdoses. b1_ohmy.gif

I have been called a "cool dad" though.

As for golf being "cool", I could care less if someone that isn't a golfer thinks golf is not cool.
post #85 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangator View Post

Never part of the "cool" crowd. Most of them died of drug overdoses. b1_ohmy.gif
These two sentences are hilarious.
post #86 of 125

I looked up the word "cool" as used in this thread's context. Says it's "fashionably attractive, or impressive". So with that, I am not "fashionable" when I golf. I am definitely not "attractive". I sometimes hit an impressive shot, but over all my game is not "impressive" to anyone under a 12 handicap.

 

So, golf is not cool. :doh: 

post #87 of 125
Most of my shirts are cotton and have a big stain on the front. I do have one shimmery shirt though somewhere. I'll try to find it. a1_smile.gif
post #88 of 125
Given the options of cool or not cool I would choose cool. I don't think golf is something you would be embarrassed to admit you play. However being a golf fan and watching it on TV is not cool.
post #89 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

 

They might not dress like her but how many people see Miley Cirus with her shaved side of head and followed in that trend on stick their tongue out like she does. How many people wore one glove when MJ came out with thriller. Look at all the crazy hairstyle brought on by musicians. Red leather jackets, bandanas tied around an ankle or wrist men wearing eyeliner or painting their nails black. music spawned a lot of fashion

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

I see a lot of people wearing nascar jackets and hats or clothing advertising their sport or sports team and if you took a second to read the last thread you would see this had nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with how we think of golf!!! So maybe you would know the point I was trying to make was about the game and popularity of it opposed to the fashion. the shirt comment was an example.

 

and safety equipment...thats your best dumbass retort. and a lot of women wear short skirts with the shorts sewn in them. I think they're called skorts or some sh*t like that. and just cause they don't wear the pants doesn't mean they don't wear the jersey. And this was never about fashion!!!

 

Some people will never get it!?! :doh:

You made it about fashion by claiming the golfers wear tech fabrics with brighter colors and people out at bars wear polo's but not they weren't as brightly colored and made of cotton.  Not all golfers wear wild colors.  Tiger usually wears solids (black and red on Sunday), Rory played today in solids.

 

So my point was why do fans going to a bar have to wear the exact colors and fabrics a professional golfer does when we don't expect the same from other sports.  If you think a skort that a women wears to a bar looks the same as WTA tennis attire you really shouldn't discuss fashion at all.

post #90 of 125
If people are actually debating whether something is cool or not... It's probably not cool.

Cool is a state of being... so I don't see how golf, or any sport or piece of attire, could be considered cool.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golf...cool or not???