or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The how do YOU Practice? Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The how do YOU Practice? Thread. - Page 3

post #37 of 46

the only shot I tend to practice is the finesse shots.... flops, short chips, thin lies etc. 

post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by galunga View Post
 

the only shot I tend to practice is the finesse shots.... flops, short chips, thin lies etc. 


Why? Are you just content to be a 6.2?

 

Those types of shots have very little Separation Value™.

post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 


Why? Are you just content to be a 6.2?

 

Those types of shots have very little Separation Value™.

Content? for now. I just don't have a lot of time to 'practice' any more. 

 

The wife already hates that golf 'takes all day'. If I want to get back down to where I was before I know what it takes. I know, for me, that the 'feel' shots are the first to go so that is what I practice. 

 

I cannot get down to a 1-2 without playing and practicing daily. I cannot practice daily without a death or divorce.  ;-)   I am not hoping for either any time soon so I will have to be content.... for now.

post #40 of 46

Erik (@iacas), do you think I should work on putting more or ball striking. My last 5 competitive rounds I have averaged 13.2 GIR. I have averaged 34 putts per round. I am wondering if I should continue to work on my ball striking or do you think it would be a good idea to work on putting? My chipping isn't bad at all. I am missing a ton of 6-10 foot putts. I have had 1 penalty in 5 rounds and have a scoring average of 73.2. 

 

I think that working on my weakness in this case could lower my scores faster than continuing to try and get better into the greens for the next month or so. But you are the pro so I thought it would be a good question for you. Should I continue to shoot for 18 GIR even though I have a 73.33% GIR percentage which would be at the top of the PGA Tour? I know I am not playing their courses, but I would be willing to bet my GIR percentage is around the top of the field I am playing against as well. 

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

Erik (@iacas), do you think I should work on putting more or ball striking. My last 5 competitive rounds I have averaged 13.2 GIR. I have averaged 34 putts per round. I am wondering if I should continue to work on my ball striking or do you think it would be a good idea to work on putting? My chipping isn't bad at all. I am missing a ton of 6-10 foot putts. I have had 1 penalty in 5 rounds and have a scoring average of 73.2.

 

Probably, yes, I'd work on your putting. But also if you're leaving yourself 6-10 feet after the GIRs you miss, I'd work on an SV③ skill too - Greenside Shots.

 

Buy Lowest Score Wins.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

I think that working on my weakness in this case could lower my scores faster than continuing to try and get better into the greens for the next month or so. But you are the pro so I thought it would be a good question for you.

 

No.

 

When you get your copy of LSW, pay attention to the C-Value and what it is for Approach Shots.

post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Probably, yes, I'd work on your putting. But also if you're leaving yourself 6-10 feet after the GIRs you miss, I'd work on an SV③ skill too - Greenside Shots.

 

Buy Lowest Score Wins.

 

 

No.

 

When you get your copy of LSW, pay attention to the C-Value and what it is for Approach Shots.

It is my lag putting that is leaving me the 6-10 feet on super fast greens. I can putt fine in rounds at a local public course but when it comes to a 30 footer in a tournament, I either blow it past or come up way short. I will admit I would like my proximity from the hole with my irons to get better but tournament golf = center of the green for me unless I have a wedge in my hand. Wedge in my hand I am looking at around 15 feet on average from the hole at 115 and in. About 20 foot average from 135 in. I am playing smart golf though too that is why my lag putting is putting me in a bad spot to grind out 6 footers all day. Getting up and down I would say is around 65-75 percent so the majority of the time I am not having trouble getting up and down. I typically only don't get up and down within 30 feet of the green if I short side myself from going at the pin.. I just know that everyone here will puts a stronger value on long game and that is great but I think at a certain level of play, when everyone can stripe the ball, it comes down to the flat stick and a wedge. The guys who are putting win the tournaments, the guys who aren't finish in 8th place like me. I get that you have to get to the green in regulation before you can putt.. but where I am losing strokes against a field of players is on the greens, not from the tee or fairway. 

post #43 of 46

We're veering off topic into specifics for YOU, so I apologize for the brevity.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

It is my lag putting that is leaving me the 6-10 feet on super fast greens. …I either blow it past or come up way short.

 

 Putting - DO NOT Accelerate Through the Ball - Even the hard-core guys who came to the outing last month here in Erie almost all had "bad" acceleration profiles.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

I just know that everyone here will puts a stronger value on long game 

 

Not to someone who hits 73% GIR.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

… I think at a certain level of play, when everyone can stripe the ball, it comes down to the flat stick and a wedge. The guys who are putting win the tournaments, the guys who aren't finish in 8th place like me.

 

In general, no, that's incorrect.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post
 

I get that you have to get to the green in regulation before you can putt.. but where I am losing strokes against a field of players is on the greens, not from the tee or fairway. 

 

If you're hitting 73% GIR and shooting over par, your putting needs work. I already agreed with that.

post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

We're veering off topic into specifics for YOU, so I apologize for the brevity.

 

 

 Putting - DO NOT Accelerate Through the Ball - Even the hard-core guys who came to the outing last month here in Erie almost all had "bad" acceleration profiles.

 

 

Not to someone who hits 73% GIR.

 

If you're hitting 73% GIR and shooting over par, your putting needs work. I already agreed with that.

Thanks for the help. Yes I really do need help putting. I absolutely suck at putting, almost to the point where it is embarrassing. Going to buck up and get a putting lesson.. might even attend one of those clinics for beginners just to break it all the way down where there are like 5 people who never played golf before in a group.. it is bad right now. 

post #45 of 46

I try to work on what is hurting my scores the most, right now I feel if I can get the 40-75 yard shots more accurate then maybe I could get 1 or 2 strokes eliminated.

post #46 of 46
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHIN0011458 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

 

If you haven't already this would be a great book for you to check out, think you would enjoy it. I think rather than thinking about things in terms of strengths and weaknesses you need to start thinking about what kind of practice is going to help you shoot the lowest score you can. Working more on the short game isn't going to do that, the stats from people that are a lot smarter than back that up. A tour player shoots lower scores than a scratch golfer because they're better ball strikers, there isn't that much of a "gap" with the short game. You could beat a tour player in a putting match, you're not going to beat them in a GIR competition from 170 yards (I just picked a random distance).

 Lowest Score Wins - a first-of-its kind golf book for anyone who wants to lower their score 
I Played a tourney this weekend. 75-72-76. Putting 35-32-36. Ball striking by far the best out of my grouping all three days(2nd to last group going into Monday).. should I work on putting or should I continue to work on ball striking? Finished 8th overall; http://www.rhonegillis.com/GREENVILLE%20LABOR%20DAY%20FINAL%202014.pdf
putting. The guys I play with that are shooting like you are dropping 4-6 strokes putting per round so something is up with the short stick.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The how do YOU Practice? Thread.