or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Chella Choi Cheating. What is the LPGA doing about it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chella Choi Cheating. What is the LPGA doing about it? - Page 7

post #109 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

If that's true, I place it in the same basket as Tim Clarke's need for a long putter because he has an arm/elbow issue.

Someone jokingly said maybe she was blind, so that post was in jest only.

 

Only thing I've disagreed with was the derogatory names thrown around, but that's because I'm not the type of person to call names. She cheated, therefore I agree that she's a cheater but not with any other name that she's been called. However that's not really here nor there, the OP was simply what is the LPGA going to do about what she did and others have take the opportunity to call her names instead of discuss proper penalties and repercussions. 

 

You must agree that thief fits though?  If she cheats, and gains a stroke on the field, how much money did she "steal" from her competitors?

post #110 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post

Well, she took an improper drop.
d4_w00t.gif
Horrible, but still funny.
b2_tongue.gif
post #111 of 305

Wait @Shorty, best buddy, what did she do wrong again?

I watched what she did and it seems pretty similar to what I do all the time whenever there is something in the way of my ball on the green...

post #112 of 305
Was this televised on The Golf Channel and therefore played under the new Relaxed Golf Rules?
post #113 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Wait @Shorty
, best buddy, what did she do wrong again?
I watched what she did and it seems pretty similar to what I do all the time whenever there is something in the way of my ball on the green...
I just declare it GUR.
post #114 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

You must agree that thief fits though?  If she cheats, and gains a stroke on the field, how much money did she "steal" from her competitors?

By default someone who cheats in a competition is gaining money they don't deserve, that's not the same thing as being a thief though. That's my opinion, though, and I can see how others may see that as thievery.

post #115 of 305
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
 

 She just does not have the ethics to be a professional golfer.

That I can live with. :-)

post #116 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

By default someone who cheats in a competition is gaining money they don't deserve, that's not the same thing as being a thief though. That's my opinion, though, and I can see how others may see that as thievery.

I'm with you here.  I see the differences between this and outright thievery, but also see that a lot of people see them as exactly the same and would not try to argue with them at all.

post #117 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

 

You must agree that thief fits though?  If she cheats, and gains a stroke on the field, how much money did she "steal" from her competitors?

By default someone who cheats in a competition is gaining money they don't deserve, that's not the same thing as being a thief though. That's my opinion, though, and I can see how others may see that as thievery.

 

Fair enough.  Count me in the group that sees it as stealing though.

post #118 of 305

There are many times I have marked, and been asked to move it aside one or two head widths. Then when replacing it, I "try" to put it back in the same spot. I'm pretty sure there is an error of +/-3/4" when I replace some balls.

 

Luckily most of them are within 1/8" or less.

 

I'll take @Shorty 's word for it if he thinks she cheated, but this just makes me think that it's so much more critical to get the angle to the hole right as well as the radial position than I previously thought? On top of that it was a tap in for a foot or less, it kind of also looked like she was being lazy replacing the ball or something stupid. Nevertheless, she should have simply accepted the penalty.

post #119 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

There are many times I have marked, and been asked to move it aside one or two head widths. Then when replacing it, I "try" to put it back in the same spot. I'm pretty sure there is an error of +/-3/4" when I replace some balls.

 

Luckily most of them are within 1/8" or less.

 

I'll take @Shorty 's word for it if he thinks she cheated, but this just makes me think that it's so much more critical to get the angle to the hole right as well as the radial position than I previously thought?

You're so good at math that next time we play I'm going to request that you move it 2 5/16 putterheads and see how close you still get when you put it back.:-P

 


Did you watch the video?  It's not about remembering exactly where she marked because she never moved.  The ball didn't get an inch off the ground.  Just mark, off the surface high enough to rotate it and slide it over at least an inch and then put it back down.  No chance to forget where it was.

post #120 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

You're so good at math that next time we play I'm going to request that you move it 2 5/16 putterheads and see how close you still get when you put it back.:-P

 


Did you watch the video?  It's not about remembering exactly where she marked because she never moved.  The ball didn't get an inch off the ground.  Just mark, off the surface high enough to rotate it and slide it over at least an inch and then put it back down.  No chance to forget where it was.

 

True enough. She didn't even stand up. I'm still thinking "laziness".

 

BTW, I'm going to add some tick marks to my putter. :-$

post #121 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
 

I disagree totally. It is things like this that define a person's real character.  

If you had an employee who you thought was a good worker and you discovered that last weekend he did something utterly shameful and refused to accept responsibility for it - even mocked authority over it, would you give him a pass? 

 

 

I will say that a person who throws rubbish out of a car window is a scumbag. If I saw you do it,as an adult,  it would forever change my perception of you.

I will say that a person who is cruel to animals is a scumbag.

 

It doesn't matter what else they do - it is the little things that truly define character.

This woman gave us an opportunity to see who she really is.

 

I'm not talking about a momentary lapse in judgement or a dumb mistake which is atoned for.

I'm talking about actions which can not possibly defended.

 

It's not the 98% of good that matters, it's the 2% of (very) bad that affects perception and that you can't hide from.

The people of Steubenville didn't get this simple equation.

That's left field, but I'm talking about principles.:-)

You and I are not going to agree so lets let this go. 

post #122 of 305

The player did not agree and decided to withdraw from the competition,” LPGA rules official Dan Maselli told GolfChannel.com in an email response to a request for an explanation of the violation. “She gave no reason for the withdrawal.” 

 

If she Truly thought she didn't do anything wrong, then why not appeal the LPGA's ruling, instead of withdrawing..?  Kinda makes ya go Hmmmmmmm....;-) 

post #123 of 305

The more I see the video, the more I doubt it is intentional cheating. I have never seen anyone miss a 1 foot putt where there could have been a better lie and not missed.

 

Does she have an attitude problem? Yes.

 

Basically, I subscribe to the "lazy golfer theory". She already missed a critical putt, and in her laziness to place the ball properly on the follow up putt led to a rules violation. The fact that she misplaced the ball, could be purely from apathy. However, her reaction to the ruling is the main issue. She obviously still does not think she did anything wrong, and that is the root of the problem.

 

The first mistake she made was that she didn't care enough to replace the ball properly after missing a critical putt.

 

The second mistake was to deny that she made a rules violation.

post #124 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

The more I see the video, the more I doubt it is intentional cheating. I have never seen anyone miss a 1 foot putt where there could have been a better lie and not missed.

 

Does she have an attitude problem? Yes.

 

Basically, I subscribe to the "lazy golfer theory". She already missed a critical putt, and in her laziness to place the ball properly on the follow up putt led to a rules violation. The fact that she misplaced the ball, could be purely from apathy. However, her reaction to the ruling is the main issue. She obviously still does not think she did anything wrong, and that is the root of the problem.

 

The first mistake she made was that she didn't care enough to replace the ball properly after missing a critical putt.

 

The second mistake was to deny that she made a rules violation.


Nah... I don't buy that. It took effort for her to move the ball from one side of the mark to the other. She wasn't being lazy, she was cheating. I'd guess she's probably done this before and knowing that she was around the cut line, wanted to make sure that she made the putt. I appreciate that you're trying to see the good in people, but if you aren't seeing a cheater in that video, then I'm not sure what you are watching.

post #125 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Wow.

She should be suspended immediately. The WD should be changed to a DQ. Isn't it a rule that you have to provide a medical reason?

The story I heard was she refused to sign her scorecard after it was pointed out she incurred a penalty for playing a ball from the wrong position. Not signing a scorecard is a DQ.
post #126 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post
 


Nah... I don't buy that. It took effort for her to move the ball from one side of the mark to the other. She wasn't being lazy, she was cheating. I'd guess she's probably done this before and knowing that she was around the cut line, wanted to make sure that she made the putt. I appreciate that you're trying to see the good in people, but if you aren't seeing a cheater in that video, then I'm not sure what you are watching.

 

She put it exactly on the opposite side of the marker. That also seems curious.

 

The question I still have is how much difference a 1 foot putt from 5 degrees counterclockwise would buy her? I still don't see the advantage?

 

However, from a rules perspective, she's wrong and needs to be DQ from this tournament for refusing to accept the ruling. She should have accepted the ruling immediately.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Chella Choi Cheating. What is the LPGA doing about it?