or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Chella Choi Cheating. What is the LPGA doing about it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chella Choi Cheating. What is the LPGA doing about it? - Page 5

post #73 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

So do we know how long exactly the putt was? I know the camera's depth perception doesn't always do this justice. Just wondering. 

 

Best angle to judge is from this video that shows the lip-out that led to the putt.

 

Looks like 12" or so.....

 

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/choi-assessed-two-shot-penalty-wds-herself-instead/

post #74 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Looked to be 12"-18" to me. Actually looked like 6" but due to camera angle I suspect closer to a foot or so. Of course as we all know, a one footer on the LPGA is roughly equivalent to a 5 footer on the PGA. Those girls suck at putting.

 

See that's crazy to me. Why even cheat on an 18" putt?? What else must she be doing out there if she's insane enough to cheat on a putt of that length :hmm:

 

I don't get it. How hard is it to bury a putt of that length on nice greens, spike marks or no spike marks? Absurd. 

 

If she just accepted the penalty, I doubt anyone would have cared too. 

 

Weird. 

post #75 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

See that's crazy to me. Why even cheat on an 18" putt?? What else must she be doing out there if she's insane enough to cheat on a putt of that length b5_confused.gif

I don't get it. How hard is it to bury a putt of that length on nice greens, spike marks or no spike marks? Absurd. 

If she just accepted the penalty, I doubt anyone would have cared too. 

Weird. 
No kidding. See my first post in this thread. Even Bubba sink those. a1_smile.gif
post #76 of 305

As I recall, the rule states that you place your mark immediately behind the ball.  So both the mark and subsequent replacement were clearly wrong.  I don't know if doing the slightly to the side mark is considered acceptable on tour (I suspect that it's not).  If it is, I guess I could I can see how she possibly brain farted.  But I don't think the side mark is under the rules of golf and I sincerely doubt that it's considered acceptable on professional tours.  

 

I think a suspension is warranted but I can't bring myself to get all worked up because nobody gives a shit about the LPGA.

post #77 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

No kidding. See my first post in this thread. Even Bubba sink those. a1_smile.gif
FIJAM would probably miss a2_wink.gifb2_tongue.gifc5_banana.gif
post #78 of 305

Also, the spike mark rule is dumb.

post #79 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
 

I don't know if doing the slightly to the side mark is considered acceptable on tour (I suspect that it's not).  If it is, I guess I could I can see how she possibly brain farted.

Yeah, but that string of events is only plausible if she marks it, picks it up, walks away, waits, and comes back later ... you know, with some actual time to let her brain wander.  In this case, the ball was never more than an inch off the ground and wasn't off the ground for more than about a second.  It traveled MORE horizontally while in her hand than vertically.  It's hard to look at it and think anything other than she deliberately just moved it over.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
 

Also, the spike mark rule is dumb.

Agreed.

post #80 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Yeah, but that string of events is only plausible if she marks it, picks it up, walks away, waits, and comes back later ... you know, with some actual time to let her brain wander.  In this case, the ball was never more than an inch off the ground and wasn't off the ground for more than about a second.  It traveled MORE horizontally while in her hand than vertically.  It's hard to look at it and think anything other than she deliberately just moved it over.

 

 

 

Sure, but here's what I mean (and this all depends on whether that's acceptable, and I assume that it's not):

 

She marks ball, realizes she put the mark too far to the side of the ball, thinks merely of the fact that she marked it by the side, and when replacing simply adjusts by going to the OTHER side accidentally, not remembering.  

 

It's unlikely, of course.  

post #81 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

 

See that's crazy to me. Why even cheat on an 18" putt?? 

 

For that matter, why even mark, replace, line up, putt out? Just tap the damn thing in.

 

Except, perhaps, she thought, 'I could improve my chances by moving it a little to the left if I mark it.'

 

Cheater. 

post #82 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Looked to be 12"-18" to me. Actually looked like 6" but due to camera angle I suspect closer to a foot or so. Of course as we all know, a one footer on the LPGA is roughly equivalent to a 5 footer on the PGA. Those girls suck at putting.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


d4_w00t.gif

*i have nothing to back that up, but I don't care. b2_tongue.gif

What are you talking about??  Don't you remember the Kraft Nabisco from two years ago:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

If she just accepted the penalty, I doubt anyone would have cared too.

 

Weird.

Yes, totally.  It would have been brushed off as an honest mistake (even if it wasn't) and never made the news beyond "the cut line moved down one stroke, allowing 18 more players to play the weekend, because one player was assessed a 2-stroke penalty for an improper mark."  That would have likely been the end of it - even before anything started, and she could have happily gone on to a long career of cheating playing golf.  Now, not so sure.

 

It's the same curious, "what were they thinking" reaction as a lot of the baseball guys - specifically Clemens and Palmiero and Arod - had when the steroids hit the fan.  They could have gone the Giambi or Pettitte route and came out on the other side just fine, but instead, well, I don't know what else to say either except, "weird."

post #83 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
 

As I recall, the rule states that you place your mark immediately behind the ball.  So both the mark and subsequent replacement were clearly wrong.  I don't know if doing the slightly to the side mark is considered acceptable on tour (I suspect that it's not).  If it is, I guess I could I can see how she possibly brain farted.  But I don't think the side mark is under the rules of golf and I sincerely doubt that it's considered acceptable on professional tours.  

 

I think a suspension is warranted but I can't bring myself to get all worked up because nobody gives a shit about the LPGA.

 

 

While the rules say that a mark should be placed directly behind the ball, they do not require it.

 

Decision 20-1/19

 

 

20-1/19

Placing Object Marking Position of Ball Other Than Behind Ball

 

Q.When marking the position of a ball, must the ball-marker be placed behind the ball, or may it also be placed to the side of or in front of the ball?

 

A.There is no restriction. However, if a player positions his ball-marker in front of the ball on the putting green and in the process does something to the green that improves the line of putt (e.g., presses down a raised tuft of grass), he is in breach of Rule 13-2.

 

Placing a ball-marker in front of the ball is not recommended but it is not a breach of Rule 16-1a because this Rule permits touching the line of putt in lifting a ball, and marking the position of the ball is part of the lifting process.

 

 

 

No "brain fart" there though......the ball was picked up and immediately put back down.  Not even close.  That had to be intentional.

post #84 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

 

WhileNo "brain fart" there though......the ball was picked up and immediately put back down.  Not even close.  That had to be intentional.

 

Most likely, but I just can't say that with any certainty.  Whatever the case, she should have accepted the penalty when showing the video evidence.  I haven't seen her give an explanation.  Just that she "disagreed."  

post #85 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
 

 

Most likely, but I just can't say that with any certainty.  Whatever the case, she should have accepted the penalty when showing the video evidence.  I haven't seen her give an explanation.  Just that she "disagreed."  

 

I can. There are two options. She moved it intentionally, or she's blind. Seeing as she's a pro golfer, I'm going to rule out the latter...

post #86 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguirre View Post
 

 

Most likely, but I just can't say that with any certainty.  Whatever the case, she should have accepted the penalty when showing the video evidence.  I haven't seen her give an explanation.  Just that she "disagreed."

OK, that's fine.  Technically, I can't say it with certainty either because I'm not a mind reader.  But I can pretend that this was a court case and say that there is certainly enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was intentional.

post #87 of 305

I can't wait to hear what she has to say for herself. Anyone troll her on Twitter yet? JK. :-P

post #88 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

OK, that's fine.  Technically, I can't say it with certainty either because I'm not a mind reader.  But I can pretend that this was a court case and say that there is certainly enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was intentional.

+1 ditto
post #89 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

What surprises me just as much is her thinking that no one would notice.  There are cameras everywhere, fans and other competitors watching.  It is like a guy who robs a bank without a mask.  

 

Well, it's the LPGA, so maybe she didn't consider that one of their four cameras would be on her… :-)

post #90 of 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Well, it's the LPGA, so maybe she didn't consider that one of their four cameras would be on her… :-)

Rofl, bazinga!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Chella Choi Cheating. What is the LPGA doing about it?