or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Brandel at it again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brandel at it again - Page 3

post #37 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


You're clearly being facetious, but it's a sport. You don't need to understand biomechanics and physics to do it well.

 

 

And you don't need to understand bio mechanics to learn how to swing a golf club, or understand how to swing it, or teach someone else how to swing it. Loads of good instructors don't know anything more than what a good swing looks like plus several key fuindamentals and they can easily teach someone else how to swing a club. No need for flight laws, physics, geometry or anything else. 

 

Lee Trevino once claimed the answer was in the dirt. He could play plenty.

post #38 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

Loads of good instructors don't know anything more than what a good swing looks like plus several key fuindamentals and they can easily teach someone else how to swing a club. No need for flight laws, physics, geometry or anything else. 

 

I disagree.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

Lee Trevino once claimed the answer was in the dirt. He could play plenty.

 

Lee Trevino could play. This is about instruction.

post #39 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

 

 

And you don't need to understand bio mechanics to learn how to swing a golf club,

I said that already.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

 

 

Loads of good instructors don't know anything more than what a good swing looks like plus several key fuindamentals and they can easily teach someone else how to swing a club. No need for flight laws, physics, geometry or anything else. 

Really? How is an instructor going to fix anyone's swing if he doesn't know how the swing works? Show a guy a bunch of videos of Rory and tell him to swing more like that? If I go to this instructor and tell him I'm struggling with a hook, how is he going to solve my problem?

 

Plenty of people know what a good car looks like, and some other stuff, I'm sure. You gonna give them your car when your transmission breaks down, or a real auto mechanic?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

Lee Trevino once claimed the answer was in the dirt. He could play plenty.

Again, said that already. In the quote that you quoted, in fact.

post #40 of 86
Phil Mickelson swears the secret's at the bottom off a bowl of mashed potatoes.
post #41 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Phil Mickelson swears the secret's at the bottom off a bowl of mashed potatoes.

You eat mashed potatoes out of a bowl???!!?!?!

 

Weirdo.

post #42 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Phil Mickelson swears the secret's at the bottom off a bowl of mashed potatoes.
+569
post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

You eat mashed potatoes out of a bowl???!!?!?!

Weirdo.
What? You eat it right out of the pot?
post #44 of 86

I usually eat mashed potatoes off of a plate

post #45 of 86


Just a thought, but maybe Tiger should go back to punching porno stars and anything else that will hold still.  He seem to play pretty good when he was humping everything that walks, no wonder he has a bad back. 

post #46 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehook840 View Post


Just a thought, but maybe Tiger should go back to punching porno stars and anything else that will hold still.  He seem to play pretty good when he was humping everything that walks, no wonder he has a bad back. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

I think we need a study about if your sex life affects your golf game. I mean, it is a FACT Tigs was a better golfer when he was banging a steady stream of porn stars, strippers, and cocktail waitresses. a3_biggrin.gifa3_biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

He was better banging a steady stream of hookers, socialites, and cocktail waitresses, I tell ya!
We share the same thought process in life.
post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


What? You eat it right out of the pot?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndslmhttr3 View Post
 

I usually eat mashed potatoes off of a plate

Ah, a civilized one. ;)

post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


Ah, a civilized one. ;)
I don't like mashed potatoes.
post #49 of 86

All the discussion of Chamblee vs. Harmon based on their number of PGA wins is just kind of silly, IMO.  There is a simple reason why Harmon should be listened to and Chamblee should not.  Harmon has spent decades working with golfers, learning how to teach, coaching, etc.  Some of the best players in the world pay him large amounts of money because of his knowledge of the swing and his ability to communicate that knowledge in a meaningful way to his students.

 

Chamblee, OTOH, has spent the last decade or decade and a half saying the most outrageous things he can come up with, usually about Tiger, in order to draw an audience.  No one is offering him large amounts of money to work with their swing.  No one thinks so highly of his technical golfing knowledge to put their career into his hands as their coach.

 

I could be wrong about this but I do not think you really need to have technical knowledge of your swing to be successful playing.  But I think you do need to have technical knowledge of the swing to teach it.  Harmon has the track record to show he knows what he is talking about.  Brandel does not.  It really is just that simple, IMO.

post #50 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I disagree.

 

 

Lee Trevino could play. This is about instruction.

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post
 

I said that already.

 

Really? How is an instructor going to fix anyone's swing if he doesn't know how the swing works? Show a guy a bunch of videos of Rory and tell him to swing more like that? If I go to this instructor and tell him I'm struggling with a hook, how is he going to solve my problem?

 

Plenty of people know what a good car looks like, and some other stuff, I'm sure. You gonna give them your car when your transmission breaks down, or a real auto mechanic?

 

Again, said that already. In the quote that you quoted, in fact.

 

 

 

Neither of these guys sound like biomecahnical geniuses, but both of them could play and both of them knew how to swing a club and could teach someone else to swing a club. If you believe neither Snead nor Trevino could teach someone how to swing a club then I disagree with both of you. Additionally, I think a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about what Brandle Chamblee does or does not know.

 

What is biomechanics anyway? The study of mechanics in sports movement. You think he doesn't know how the body is moving in a golf swing? I think everyone on tour understands it well enough. How good they are at explaining it, who knows. But I think they understand the basics.

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJsZcGatEo

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v71vh9uKW4&index=2&list=PL72639F80CF379CB0

post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

 

Neither of these guys sound like biomecahnical geniuses, but both of them could play and both of them knew how to swing a club and could teach someone else to swing a club. If you believe neither Snead nor Trevino could teach someone how to swing a club then I disagree with both of you. Additionally, I think a lot of people are making a lot of assumptions about what Brandle Chamblee does or does not know.

 

What is biomechanics anyway? The study of mechanics in sports movement. You think he doesn't know how the body is moving in a golf swing? I think everyone on tour understands it well enough. How good they are at explaining it, who knows. But I think they understand the basics.

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJsZcGatEo

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v71vh9uKW4&index=2&list=PL72639F80CF379CB0

 

 

I think being able to swing a golf club is totally different than being able to give meaningful improvement to someone else's swing. 

 

I doubt many golfers on the tour can actually scientifically describe what goes on in their golf swing. All they probably know is how their swing feels and how that feel produces a shot. How does describing what they feel happens actually helps anybody else but them? 

 

All Snead is doing is telling what he did. I don't think anyone here is Sam Snead. 

post #52 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

I think being able to swing a golf club is totally different than being able to give meaningful improvement to someone else's swing. 

 

I doubt many golfers on the tour can actually scientifically describe what goes on in their golf swing. All they probably know is how their swing feels and how that feel produces a shot. How does describing what they feel happens actually helps anybody else but them? 

 

All Snead is doing is telling what he did. I don't think anyone here is Sam Snead. 


Unlike most people on this site I don't even think anybody has to be a good player to be a good coach. All of the people mentioned may be able to teach somebody just fine, or they may completely suck at teaching.

 

A big factor is whether the players trusts and believes in what the coach is trying to get him to do.

post #53 of 86
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

Neither of these guys sound like biomecahnical geniuses, but both of them could play and both of them knew how to swing a club and could teach someone else to swing a club.

 

The bold does not follow. Great players don't necessarily make great instructors. In fact, quite often, they make some of the poorest instructors… because they have never struggled with things. They've done it very well (and only really "one way" - their way), but teaching is another ball of wax entirely.

 

It's about as close to factually wrong as an opinion can get to say "because Person X was a great golfer, he will be good at teaching others."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

If you believe neither Snead nor Trevino could teach someone how to swing a club then I disagree with both of you.

 

And your experience in this realm is… what exactly? Players don't necessarily make good instructors, and again, quite often, make some of the poorer instructors. In fact, the better the player, quite often the poorer the instructor.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post
 

What is biomechanics anyway? The study of mechanics in sports movement. You think he doesn't know how the body is moving in a golf swing? I think everyone on tour understands it well enough. How good they are at explaining it, who knows. But I think they understand the basics.

 

You have some strange opinions, man. PGA Tour players are good at hitting a ball. That's about it. For technique, quite often, they're stupid monkeys. They can't be out there thinking about the hows and whys - they just have to execute.

post #54 of 86

What's all this talk about Lee Trevino?

 

:-$

 

Here is the Merry Mex, waxing about Tiger, 4.5 years ago... 

 

 

Where do you think Tiger is with his game?

As much as Tiger works at the game, as good as he is and with all the shots he knows how to hit, I can't believe he can't figure out a way to drive the ball straight. The key to golf is the driver. If you don't have the key, you can't start the car. No. 1, I think he's trying to hit it too far. He doesn't need to. No. 2, I don't think he should be playing graphite. I think he should find a lightweight steel, and I think he should go back to a 43¾- or 44-inch driver. It would give him better control. If he hits it down there 290 in the fairway, he'll win every single golf tournament. The only reason people beat him is because he sprays the driver.

 

Lee Trevino

Photo: Popperfoto/Getty Images

Would you suggest any swing adjustments?

Well, since his operation he's getting a little more flex in his left knee at impact, which will help with his control. But I'd like to see him go with a power fade off the tee. Strengthen his grip, push his hands a little forward at address and really hold it off through impact. And then he can hit it as hard as he wants to, and it'll fade just a little bit off the left rough line every time. All Tiger has to do is look at Paul Azinger. When Azinger is on the range hitting balls, Tiger should wander over and take a look.

Do you think Tiger might frown on a power fade as a compromise?

He might. With a driver, there's no distance limit, and Tiger probably doesn't like accepting a limit. But I think if he had a yardage in mind, like he does with the other clubs, it would help him. I mean, see how accurate he is with a 6-iron, but if he tried to hit it as hard as he can, he wouldn't hit a green. With every other club, he has a specific distance, and he should do the same with the driver. Make it a controlled golf shot, not a blast. I'd love to see him drive the ball straight. Damn it, I don't see any reason he can't.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Brandel at it again