or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › HOOK! NEED HELP ASAP!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOOK! NEED HELP ASAP!

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I am a 6 handicap. I hit a baby draw with my short irons and often in the center of the club face. My swing is on plane but my issue is that I roll my wrists. Golf is all about timing recently. If I'm hitting it good the roll is after the ball. If I hit it bad the it's during the ball and a snap hook. I played terrible yesterday and shot a 41. I need help!!!! Advice please.
post #2 of 29
Tried to delete
post #3 of 29

Keep the clubface pointed more to the right. Stop rolling the wrists so much. It's unnecessary to draw the ball.

post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
I try... Do you know any drills to keep me from turning over the face?
post #5 of 29
You could try the 3-9 swing drill. Make sure when you stop at 9 o'clock in the follow through, your club face is not excessively closed.
post #6 of 29

I have the same problem.  How I usually fix it and get back to the right follow through is to exaggerate a high finish.  This is obviously best done first on the range.

 

Practice holding the club face open toward the target through the ball as long as possible.  Make this the last part of your practice swing before hitting the ball.  Club still pointing at the target a good foot past the impact point.  

 

This can obviously cause you to push and/or cut the ball.  But that's okay.  If you do that, you're fixing the problem.  Then you work backwards to get to a comfortable spot.

 

EDIT--Another problem you may have is rotating your hips too quickly before you start your downswing.  I sometimes have this problem as well.  To combat this, I make a conscious effort to start moving my arms a split second before I make any hip rotation.  But I would try the above first, since this approach can really **** with your timing, which may not be the problem at all.

post #7 of 29
I just picture myself holding the face square for as long as I can through impact, as I have the same miss (I'll hit a pull-hook if I shut the face down).
post #8 of 29

I'm slowly becoming a hooker (snicker...) after a life time of slicing. I have a fairly strong grip which I'd rather not change for other reasons. I've started to experiment with having the face a little open at address which is pretty scary as I was hitting epic pushes at the beginning of the season. It seems to be helping reduce the differential between face and path, plus, as an added bonus, It's a great visual cue to your brain to not stop pivoting because you know if you do you'll push it three fairways over.:-P

post #9 of 29

I had a random hook issue crop up out of nowhere for about a month and half earlier this year ... never been so frustrated.    After much trial and error ...  turns out I didn't have to change my swing at all - found out that my grip was too strong ... I slightly weakened my left hand, and it totally fixed it.    Pretty amazing actually what a slight (I mean SLIGHT) grip change will do ...

post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im15 View Post

I try... Do you know any drills to keep me from turning over the face?

 

post #11 of 29

I've been fighting a hook for a long time.  

 

Do your divots point to the right?  Do you push your longer irons sometimes and other times hook them?  

post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im15 View Post

I am a 6 handicap. I hit a baby draw with my short irons and often in the center of the club face. My swing is on plane but my issue is that I roll my wrists. Golf is all about timing recently. If I'm hitting it good the roll is after the ball. If I hit it bad the it's during the ball and a snap hook. I played terrible yesterday and shot a 41. I need help!!!! Advice please.

 

 

The Under the Pole drill is designed to help you prevent a hook by avoiding a sever inside/out swing path. 

Summary:
 

1. Take a set up with a short or mid iron at first. Then take a driveway pole (swing plane pole) and place it outside the toe of your club and about a foot down the target line.

2. If you have been hitting a true hook you have been swinging too far inside/out coming into the ball. Your goal now is to learn to come in on a proper arc and finish on a proper arc. It's a finish that goes low left instead of high right (for right handed players). Your goal here is to swing under the pole after impact.

3. Take a few slow motion swings at first without hitting the ball to get acclimated to where the pole is and assure yourself that you won't hit it. After you feel comfortable start hitting balls making sure to miss the pole and finish low left to prevent an inside/out hook.

 

post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skype apirlp71 View Post
 

The Under the Pole drill is designed to help you prevent a hook by avoiding a sever inside/out swing path. 

Summary:

1.                              Take a set up with a short or mid iron at first. Then take a driveway pole (swing plane pole) and place it outside the toe of your club and about a foot down the target line.

2.                              If you have been hitting a true hook you have been swinging too far inside/out coming into the ball. Your goal now is to learn to come in on a proper arc and finish on a proper arc. It's a finish that goes low left instead of high right (for right handed players). Your goal here is to swing under the pole after impact.

3.                              Take a few slow motion swings at first without hitting the ball to get acclimated to where the pole is and assure yourself that you won't hit it. After you feel comfortable start hitting balls making sure to miss the pole and finish low left to prevent an inside/out hook.

Hmm. My hooks must all be pull-hooks then because I'm pretty darn certain from high-speed video that my swing isn't "extreme" in to out. 

post #14 of 29

I've had this problem, among others.  But, for me, what helps is to imagine rotating the back of the clubface on the backswing to match the swing plane once it crosses hip level. Then, rotate the front of the clubface to match the swing plane on the follow-through once it crosses hip level.  On both the backswing and follow-through, I imagine the clubface sliding along the plane once it matches it on each side to finish the move.  Maybe this doesn't make sense to you, but it's a mental thing.  I just do several back and forth practice swings concentrating on not over-rotating or under-rotating the club face.  It helps me achieve a groove with the correct timing of having a square clubface at impact. 

post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 

My cluface normally points left after impact

post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im15 View Post
 

My cluface normally points left after impact

Points left of what? If, after impact, it points left of the target then you are completely normal. Look at the golf swing of any pro and you will see that it rotates "left" after impact (if they're right handed). What matters is the face angle during impact.

post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

I'm slowly becoming a hooker (snicker...) after a life time of slicing. I have a fairly strong grip which I'd rather not change for other reasons. I've started to experiment with having the face a little open at address which is pretty scary as I was hitting epic pushes at the beginning of the season. It seems to be helping reduce the differential between face and path, plus, as an added bonus, It's a great visual cue to your brain to not stop pivoting because you know if you do you'll push it three fairways over.:-P

Yeah, the hooks and pulls are killing my drives and consequently my scores. Seems like such a small margin of error between a hook and a slice.

 

Just came back from the range to specifically work on this. This may sound stupid but I've had success with it...

 

With the alignment rod and club face aligned to the target line, I position the line on the ball slightly right and my feet and body aligned to that slightly right-facing angle. I try to concentrate on the swing path maintaining the outward path after contact (as Aguirre suggested).

 

The results were pretty good - decent ball flight with very little side spin and the ability to keep the ball on right side of the range. The only time the ball went left was when I opened up my hips too soon and even then it was more of a push than a hook. Almost all the shots would have remained in play (yes, I'm still "range drunk" with the results).

 

If I understand the ball flight laws this shouldn't work and the ball should hook. More than likely, this alignment is compensating for my club face opening slightly at impact and my swing path not being as in to out as it feels. If I simply close the club face at address or try to close it at impact, I'll hook the ball. If I open face and try to swing more in to out, I'll push or push slice.

 

In any case, I'm not suggesting this method to anyone, just trying to dial in a more repeatable driver setup. 

post #18 of 29

I'm also going thru bouts of hooking as well.

This has works for me:

1) snap hooks. go find a side ways stance with ball above feet and snap away just aim left and  gradually change the grade so ball is level to feet. I usually am able to smooth out my tempo so my hands dont turn as quickly.

2) duck hooks. usually cause from being off balance and swinging too much down on my woods. this hasnt happen to me for a while as I like to hit up now.

3) pull/sweeping  hooks- coming too much from the inside. usually happens with my driver or 3 wood. this happens to me from time to time. I try to go slow and wide on my back swing and make more of an oval radius . sometimes this means compensating by address the driver more at the toe .

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › HOOK! NEED HELP ASAP!