or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Reclined airline seats debate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reclined airline seats debate - Page 5

Poll Results: Do you recline your seat on an airplane?

 
  • 54% (27)
    Yes
  • 46% (23)
    No
50 Total Votes  
post #73 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

Erik you couldn't be more wrong. The seats aren't hinged. If you recline the seat that my knees are already touching it pushed more on my knees. If what you stated is true, then how can my knees crammed against a seat prevent the seat from reclining? Unusual for you, but you're totally wrong on that.

I'm not wrong. If the head moves 2 inches the area near your knees moves about half an inch. The hinge is near the base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

Also, poor logic regarding 2" no comfort no discomfort. If I pressed a 2x4 against your knee lightly, then without moving your knee I pressed it another 2"...you'd be pretty uncomfortable.

A) the seat doesn't move 2 inches at your knees.
B) 2 inches can change the level of comfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

When my knees are pressed against a seat, I can't shift at all, I'm stuck. Expecting someone to put up with the seats as they are especially when they're average size isn't asking much.

That is a minority opinion. Many disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

But to actually cause significant discomfort to someone so you can recline a couple of inches is Assanine. You really blew this one. Dead wrong about the seats.

Please go back and reread my few posts in this thread. I never said that I have ever reclined when someone's knees were even close to touching the back of my seat.

I recline about 10% of the time I'm on a plane that offers reclining as an option.

BTW please quote the parts to which you're responding. I think you missed the part where I pointed out a logical issue with your argument. (you said that 2 inches doesn't matter for comfort. I simply flipped that around and said then it shouldn't matter for discomfort either.)
post #74 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

The seats aren't hinged.

If they're not hinged, you're not reclining. You'd just be sliding back.
post #75 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post


Correct me if I'm wrong but two of the three recent issues were because of the trays- not leg room. In one case a woman was resting her head on a pillow on the tray. In another, a guy was using his laptop on the tray.

I'm sure the tray stayed where it was, but the seat came into contact with the woman's head or the laptop screen, from what I understand.

The talk of legroom might be overblown- it seems to me it's just as much about your "personal space" in front of your body. Some can feel invaded by the top of the seat encroaching on them above the tray.

That said, not a big deal to me. Recline away. I typically choose not to recline myself because of the chance it would bug the hell out of someone. Life's too short to add drama at 30,000 feet in a tiny tube.

You're wrong, he said with tongue firmly planter in cheek.  The recent issues were not because of trays or legroom ... they were because of idiots. ;)

 

But, seriously, I don't know about the other two issues, you are probably right.

 

But in my experience - and I'm on the bigger side - no amount of seat reclining or tray jostling or silent farting or headrest grabbing or aisle standing or rushing to get on the plane or rushing to get off the plane is enough to make me stress out and raise my blood pressure.  I've got enough issues as it is. :)

post #76 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

But in my experience - and I'm on the bigger side - no amount of seat reclining or tray jostling or silent farting or headrest grabbing or aisle standing or rushing to get on the plane or rushing to get off the plane is enough to make me stress out and raise my blood pressure.  I've got enough issues as it is. :)

Indeed. All too often these days people seem to be awfully eager to get ticked off at something or another.

I prefer, as you do, to just go with the flow.
post #77 of 116
Childish. I'm not fat. You I could handle with ease. I fly first class because I spent years in school to earn the money to do it. It's my opinion and I haven't read anything convincing me reducing another persons limited space is an ok thing to do. You assumed I'm fat, I'll just assume you're a low income uneducated plug. Fair enough?
post #78 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post

Give us a break. Many people have back issues and need to recline. You're a jerk declaring a discussion is over per your views. The airlines install them, people use them. Simple.
You're a big guy? probably fat and over weight so we can't recline and up upset you're fat a**
Unbelievable !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

Childish. I'm not fat. You I could handle with ease. I fly first class because I spent years in school to earn the money to do it. It's my opinion and I haven't read anything convincing me reducing another persons limited space is an ok thing to do. You assumed I'm fat, I'll just assume you're a low income uneducated plug. Fair enough?
vlcsnap-2011-11-10-19h19m39s159.png
post #79 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
 

You're a big guy? probably fat and over weight so we can't recline and up upset you're fat a**

Unbelievable !

 

Well, one thing's for sure -- you're redundant as hell.

 

All fat people are overweight and vice versa.

post #80 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post

 In one case a woman was resting her head on a pillow on the tray. 

That sounds like too many in-flight gin and tonics.

post #81 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

Nope. Never recline. It's not like you get such an amazing amount of comfort by the few inches you get when reclining. However, for big guys like me every single inch of leg room matters. Reclining is rude and selfish. Period. No argument. Discussion closed.
If you recline, you're just a jerk. You're much like the people who cut lines, hit two tee balls when a group is waiting, etc. No, be quiet .... No argument. Discussion over.

Give us a break. Many people have back issues and need to recline. You're a jerk declaring a discussion is over per your views. The airlines install them, people use them. Simple.

You're a big guy? probably fat and over weight so we can't recline and up upset you're fat a**

Unbelievable !

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsk View Post

Childish. I'm not fat. You I could handle with ease. I fly first class because I spent years in school to earn the money to do it. It's my opinion and I haven't read anything convincing me reducing another persons limited space is an ok thing to do. You assumed I'm fat, I'll just assume you're a low income uneducated plug. Fair enough?

Gentlemen.  Please chill a bit.  This can be a calm, logical discussion and you should not resort to name calling and insults.  You can and will be restricted from the thread if it continues.

post #82 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

That sounds like too many in-flight gin and tonics.

 

Au contraire mon ami........that sounds like just the right number of in-flight gin and tonics!   ;-)

post #83 of 116

Here's a solution...

Require all passengers to recline, then all will be equidistant.

post #84 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by That is Good View Post
 

Here's a solution...

Require all passengers to recline, then all will be equidistant.

 

I wouldn't have a problem if the seats simply didn't recline at all. Some airlines have done this, I think.

post #85 of 116

I guess I'll make a trade.

 

To anyone concerned - I'll stop reclining for a minor bit of comfort for you.  In return, when you are sitting next to me, I'd like you to pull your arms and elbows in over your legs and keep them off of the armrests (for that matter, from pushing over into my seat space) we are sharing.

 

Clearly using an arm rest is incredibly discourteous and intrusive - fat and sweat, etc.  I know the airline provided you half an arm rest but seriously, just for the comfort of those on either side of you since you can't seem to only use one half (plus a courteous extra space to keep from touching).

 

this is about the most equivalent argument I can make.

 

(I wonder how many of those that want to ban reclining were outraged that they couldn't smoke when the airlines cut that ban in - rightly so - put it in perspective - smoking was the worst of all - makes being upset about a slightly tilted seat seem like a petty little thing)

 

 

 

actually - I wouldn't care to recline if the seat wasn't shaped to push the skull forward two inches - the neck isn't built to have a couple right angles forced into it

 

Seriously, what the heck kind of masochistic torturer wannabe designed this thing?  Are they completely angry with humanity?

 

post #86 of 116
Taking an international flight in a few hours, will be reclining my seat, and will not ask anyone for permission to do so.. Unless the airlines stop this feature, but that means I am SOL!

I'm sure people will be complaining more about my 3 kids under 5 before they do about the seats, but that is for another discussion!
post #87 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Taking an international flight in a few hours, will be reclining my seat, and will not ask anyone for permission to do so.. Unless the airlines stop this feature, but that means I am SOL!

I'm sure people will be complaining more about my 3 kids under 5 before they do about the seats, but that is for another discussion!

Not really, in the attempt to keep airline tickets low, airplanes have been reduced to human cattle cars.  Seats are smaller (despite statistic trends which state we're taller and more obese), less legroom and just about every flight is filled or it gets cancelled.

 

I don't mind kids if they are well mannered, in reach of a parent and don't kick the persons seat in front of them the entire time.  In any case, the problem isn't really the kids, it's the parents who don't know how to discipline their kids.

post #88 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Taking an international flight in a few hours, will be reclining my seat, and will not ask anyone for permission to do so.. Unless the airlines stop this feature, but that means I am SOL!

I'm sure people will be complaining more about my 3 kids under 5 before they do about the seats, but that is for another discussion!
Lord, 3 kids under fives? I'd rather die. For months I've advocated all kids get shipped off to Guam until their 13.
post #89 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Not really, in the attempt to keep airline tickets low, airplanes have been reduced to human cattle cars.  Seats are smaller (despite statistic trends which state we're taller and more obese), less legroom and just about every flight is filled or it gets cancelled.

I don't mind kids if they are well mannered, in reach of a parent and don't kick the persons seat in front of them the entire time.  In any case, the problem isn't really the kids, it's the parents who don't know how to discipline their kids.

I agree to a certain extent.. But when the kids are 2 or 3 there is very little the parents can do in terms of discipline in my opinion! Especially if it is hysterical crying for example, or just yelling and excitement!

The majority of stories of parents being deboarded have been for kids crying without stop.. I try and make sure I have snacks, water and juice and they are clean, if thy are still crying then I'm really just unlucky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH999 View Post

Lord, 3 kids under fives? I'd rather die. For months I've advocated all kids get shipped off to Guam until their 13.

They are the pearls of my eyes, you'll understand someday! ;) 2 boys and a littler princess.. Who's name is translated into princess by the way, but that is OT! "Ameera"
post #90 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post
 

(I wonder how many of those that want to ban reclining were outraged that they couldn't smoke when the airlines cut that ban in - rightly so - put it in perspective - smoking was the worst of all - makes being upset about a slightly tilted seat seem like a petty little thing)

 

What was that, like 30-plus years ago? I didn't do a lot of flying back then and if I did, I would've been all for the ban. Most people who smoked back then are dead.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

In any case, the problem isn't really the kids, it's the parents who don't know how to discipline their kids.

 

Yep, just like in most other instances, the parents are at fault when children are a problem.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Reclined airline seats debate