or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Fitness and Exercise › Healthy Meals?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Healthy Meals?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

It is that time of year again, golf season is over and time to start getting in shape for next year. 
Along with my lifting and running/walking routine I am changing up my diet. Cutting out junk and eating healthy.

 

I have breakfasts and dinners and mid day snacks all taken care of, however lunches are tough.

 

I try to eat healthy and inexpensive, my typical lunch is 1/2 cup rice,  1/2 cup black beans and a dap of franks red hot. Or I have a salad with some left over chicken or maybe a tuna wrap with some greens and avocado.

 

However this can become monotonous. 

 

Can any offer some suggestions that is low on prep time, low on cost and I can bring to work and eat at my work station?

post #2 of 13

From the latest studies, avoid saturated fats and carbs --- IOW -- a low carb diet with less saturated fats and some lean protein.

 

Lunch -- try organic black bean soup without the rice -- it is prepackaged and  you can find low sodium alternatives ... you might try tomato, squash soup, etc. The packaged soup is good -- I typically will add hot sauce to black bean soup; I also do smoked chicken breast after peeling off the skin; Add an apple, carrot, or a small amount of fresh broccoli, or a salad. I also slice up strawberries, blueberries, etc for desert. I do an apple around 2:30 for a snack. Lots of water.

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

From the latest studies, avoid saturated fats and carbs --- IOW -- a low carb diet with less saturated fats and some lean protein.

 

 

Oh lets not go there again :-D

 


 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post

 

Can any offer some suggestions that is low on prep time, low on cost and I can bring to work and eat at my work station?

 

You can always break out the slow cooker. Buy some cheaper cuts of meat, and go the stew realm. Great way of making a large quantity in advance. You could also just make a basic roast, and then take the cooked meat and form other meals. Like I would take a roasted beef, simply seasoned and then use it for different style of sandwiches. So you can take the most expensive item, Protein. Get a cheaper cut, and prepare a large quantity. Then get multiple recipes by just varying how you use it. 

post #4 of 13

Don't know what to say ... there is a new study released, it seems, every year or so, saying something different.

 

The low carb, less but some saturated fats, protein is the new study -- 

 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?ref=health

 

Interesting ... not enough protein/fat and you lose muscle mass ... bad.

 

I think there are general rules ... my general rule is balance and avoid too much saturated fat, and then you need to discover how your body reacts to a diet ... and you need a starting point, which is typically blood work.

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Don't know what to say ... there is a new study released, it seems, every year or so, saying something different.

 

I meant that comment, one to tease you a bit, and two as not to proceed further with the discussion on Saturated Fat, as to keep this thread from being hijacked away from the main topic of actual meal ideas. 

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

I meant that comment, one to tease you a bit, and two as not to proceed further with the discussion on Saturated Fat, as to keep this thread from being hijacked away from the main topic of actual meal ideas. 

Thx. I recognized it. I am now of the opinion that I have no opinion... it's whatever works for me.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
 

It is that time of year again, golf season is over 

 

Huh?

 

Plus, let's try to eat healthy (or at least healthier) all year-round rather than just during the winter, eh?

post #8 of 13

I keep it pretty basic: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. I'm not an expert in nutrition but sticking to those foods seems to work for me.

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Huh?

 

Plus, let's try to eat healthy (or at least healthier) all year-round rather than just during the winter, eh?

I try, and try and try but I tend to fall off the wagon come summer time. 
My wife follows Medifast (which works for her), but considering she is out of work all summer long we may order out a little more often.

Not to mention during the summer time I seem to either be at a cook out or hosting a cookout and the beer just flows. We find outselves at amusement parks or someplace with the kids and it can be difficult to be healthy, but we try.


Lastly I play in my golf league and outings more during the summer which means more beer and grabbing a bag of burritos on the way home for dinner!

 

But with the new school year upon us it makes it alot easier to plan both our meals and stay focused!

 

But thanks for all suggestions!

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
 

I try, and try and try but I tend to fall off the wagon come summer time. 
My wife follows Medifast (which works for her), but considering she is out of work all summer long we may order out a little more often.

Not to mention during the summer time I seem to either be at a cook out or hosting a cookout and the beer just flows. We find outselves at amusement parks or someplace with the kids and it can be difficult to be healthy, but we try.


Lastly I play in my golf league and outings more during the summer which means more beer and grabbing a bag of burritos on the way home for dinner!

 

But with the new school year upon us it makes it alot easier to plan both our meals and stay focused!

 

But thanks for all suggestions!

Quickest way to lose?

 

Stay off alcohol, dairy products, and bread, and then eat in a balanced way.

 

And move ... 

post #11 of 13
Golf season is almost over? Are there polar bears on your door step? a1_smile.gif
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangator View Post

Golf season is almost over? Are there polar bears on your door step? a1_smile.gif

My golf league ends tonight (which I playing for the championship),

I have our fall get away for my league and atleast another round, but when you are married and have young kids and spend alot of time being "Mr Mom", your fall ball is limited.

 

And up here in the northeast the sun starts to set early, which means during the week I would have leave work super early to get 18 in. And I just cant afford to take that time off ( I save it for  the summer time)

post #13 of 13

Things I do for lunch (I work in an office at a computer and quite a lot of time I unfortunately eat there).

Salad: Before you slam me and saying it's girly, hear me out: spinach (or other dark leafy greens), sliced or chopped apple (doesn't really matter what kind), sliced boiled egg (I usually take the yolk out because i hate the texture), nuts (walnuts are good, or I bought a mix of sunflower seeds and other seeds that works well too), dried cranberries (if I have them I put them in, they add a hint of sweetness), blue cheese (or another cheese of the sort), meat (if I have chicken or bacon around, I'll cook it up, cut it and throw it in), dressing (extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar...simple but works perfectly, and it's so much cheaper and better for you than buying dressing). I usually eat this salad for lunch once a week and I use whatever I can find in my cupboards and fridge. It's a nice hearty salad. It only takes about 5 minutes to put together (minus boiling the eggs but I boil them while doing something else so it's not an issue). Do it the night before and pack the dressing in a little container on the side.

Other things I send to do: baked chicken with steamed veg, homemade soups and stews (particularly during wintertime...lentil soup with loads of extra veg in it is really good), and I pretty much take my dinner from the night before as my lunch as much as possible, too. That saves on time and effort.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fitness and Exercise
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Fitness and Exercise › Healthy Meals?