or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Like a Girl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Like a Girl

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 

 

As I said on my blog post:

 

Quote:

I've been guilty of saying this in the past few years, despite having a daughter who might very well have kicked the shit out of the 10-year-old me at lots of things.And I'm aware of that… but it's just so baked in as "something you say" that I've said it without thinking.

So, this is my commitment to try to do a whole lot better at this. I don't remember the last time I said "Like a Girl," but if it was after the age of 12 or so, it was too recently.

 

Note: that's not to say things still aren't true. Women are, in general, different than men. Men are often better at some things. But that's a generalization, and "like a girl" is negative and specific.

post #2 of 55

Bravo! Well said, generalizations (in general :-$) suck.

post #3 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post




As I said on my blog post:


Note: that's not to say things still aren't true. Women are, in general, different than men. Men are often better at some things. But that's a generalization, and "like a girl" is negative and specific.

Very interesting video... Excluding things that are only specific to one gender or another, I'm more inclined to say men are better at most things, not just something's..

From cooking all the way to scientific discoveries to sports and a lot of things in between. What I'm not saying is that every man is better, as there are women better than men specifically, but not in general no.

Ok, so how soon before this thread is locked? :)
post #4 of 55

I don't ever remember saying that.

 

Maybe because one of my first athletic memories was getting smoked badly by a girl in an elementary school race... when I was absolutely certain I was the fastest in the school. :bugout:

 

Where I heard it said most was from one girl to another when I was coaching some fairly high level high school age girls softball.

 

BTW. It usually only takes a very short time with a "Four Corners Drill" for a girl (or a boy) to close their front shoulder and never "Throw like a girl" again. :-D

post #5 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

From cooking all the way to scientific discoveries to sports and a lot of things in between. What I'm not saying is that every man is better, as there are women better than men specifically, but not in general no.


When much of the world systematically denies girls and women education, job opportunities, and respect, yeah, they're probably not going to figure out cold fusion.
post #6 of 55

Warning:  If you're a dude, currently at work with a bunch of other dudes, especially if you happen to have a little daughter ... don't watch this video!!  :cry:  (Specifically 0:39-1:04)

 

Thanks a lot Erik!!!

 


On a serious note:  I am definitely guilty of using "like a girl" in negative ways, but I don't think I've done it in awhile.

post #7 of 55

 Thank you @iacas:

There are so many put downs out there, can't remember the last time I used that one (thankfully).

post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

When much of the world systematically denies girls and women education, job opportunities, and respect, yeah, they're probably not going to figure out cold fusion.

That is why I mentioned cooking first! Anyway, those are just three examples I mentioned, my point was to just change the wording from something's to most things, and not to get into why that it is the case as I know for example that they don't have the physical attributes as men.. Wasn't a choice of theirs!
post #9 of 55

Nice video, iacas. It's Always (ha!) a good idea to remember that our words sometimes carry meaning that we don't intend.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post


Very interesting video... Excluding things that are only specific to one gender or another, I'm more inclined to say men are better at most things, not just something's..

From cooking all the way to scientific discoveries to sports and a lot of things in between. What I'm not saying is that every man is better, as there are women better than men specifically, but not in general no.

Ok, so how soon before this thread is locked? :)

 

I don't disagree. I can remember in college in a literature class when my favorite professor (a man) said that we would not be reading any female writers from the particular time period because they weren't up to snuff. The reason? Because they just weren't as educated as men, nor had the same varied life experiences as men from which to draw their inspiration. And that's a fair argument. 

 

Men have always been allowed to excel because they have always been expected to excel. Whereas women have almost always been expected to get a husband, have babies, keep a home. And were taugh the skills needed for those things, and those things alone. And that leaves women with a whole lot of catching up to do in the grand course of history. The mistake is in thinking that women are incapable of being better or as good as men at different things and forgetting that, historically, women just haven't been allowed or encouraged to do certain things. These days we can't say that as much, but it still leaves women catching up. 

 

As for athletics specifically, men and women are different and there is no reason to pretend we aren't.

post #10 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Ok, so how soon before this thread is locked? :)

 

That probably depends on how much you continue to post the kind of stuff you just posted.

post #11 of 55

Dunno about cold fusion, but I do know Large Hadron Collider. The ATLAS project, one of the biggest scientific experiments ever, run by Fabiola Gianotti:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabiola_Gianotti 

 

If you've ever seen the LHC grounds, what a huge piece of intricate machinery it is and all the egos she had to deal with, quite an accomplishment.

post #12 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

That probably depends on how much you continue to post the kind of stuff you just posted.

I was actually kidding around when I asked when this thread will be locked... Sheesh!

But I guess only political correct answers are expected these days and I understand that.. You have a website to run..

By the way thank you @Moxie Dawn, your post was a breath of fresh air!

Respectfully leaves this thread!
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Respectfully

Too late...

post #14 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

But I guess only political correct answers are expected these days and I understand that.. You have a website to run..

 

Uhm, nice way to try to frame the opinions of people who disagree with your backwards, centuries-old outlook on human beings, many of whom (homosexuals, people who are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, and now women) have done a heck of a lot more than you've done or ever will do in your life.

 

It's not "politically correct" - it's just not looking at human beings as if the way we treated them in the 1500s is how they should be treated or viewed in the 21st century.

 

Thank $_DEITY you don't have a lesbian daughter who, one day, becomes addicted to something and wants a little love and respect from her father.

post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

That is why I mentioned cooking first! Anyway, those are just three examples I mentioned, my point was to just change the wording from something's to most things, and not to get into why that it is the case as I know for example that they don't have the physical attributes as men.. Wasn't a choice of theirs!
If you think that women weren't (and aren't, still) discriminated against in the culinary world, you don't understand culinary history. I'm talking about hundreds of years of male dominance across multiple cultures, here.
post #16 of 55
My 14-yr old daughter showed me this a couple months ago and I even thought about posting it here, glad u did. I tear up just a bit every time I watch it.

It's true too, you do not want to be lined up against her in a vball game, she's 6'0" tall and a monster on the court.

We played a dads v kids game against her team and they destroyed us, some of the dads had college experience too. They are athletes, no doubt.

(Sorry for bragging a little)
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post


If you think that women weren't (and aren't, still) discriminated against in the culinary world, you don't understand culinary history. I'm talking about hundreds of years of male dominance across multiple cultures, here.

 

+1.

 

A fun movie (for the whole family) to watch that'll give just a little insight to that.....

 

post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

+1.

A fun movie (for the whole family) to watch that'll give just a little insight to that.....


I always meant to watch that movie. Have to make a note of it.

To put it in context, how many hundreds of years does French culinary history span, and Julia Child managed to break through just this past century?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Like a Girl