or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Reshafting Irons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reshafting Irons - Page 2

post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Bumping an old thread in hopes of some guidance. I'm hoping @LBlack14
 or @WUTiger
 pick up on this for me.a1_smile.gif

I"ve got a set of X-22s (non-tour) that carry some sentimental value. The issue is, they have A-flex graphite shafts. I don't like the feel of graphite in my irons and I suspect the A-flex would be terrible for me anyway. I would love to reshaft the 5-9 irons in steel and put them in my bag.

I can get all the stuff I need to reshaft myself for around $215 shipped. This would include the following:
  • 5x DG .370 shafts  (I think this is the right size?)
  • Epoxy
  • New ferrules, I like a taller ferrule than the stock nubbies on the X-22
  • 5x NDMC grips
  • 1 grip kit, full set 14 clubs

I already have a blowtorch and can either buy a vice or MacGyver something up with c-clamps.

Where I need guidance is pretty much everywhere, as I'm a total neophyte.

For starters, is it even worth doing this myself, taking into consideration that I'll need to buy some supplies I won't likely use again?

Am I missing anything from my shopping list?

Is .370 indeed the correct diameter for an X-22 reshaft? Additionally, are there any issues resifting a graphite model with steel? Hoping I don't need to get into any shimming headaches.

My understanding is that the x-22 is not a true bore-through and that the cap on the sole is just cosmetic, is this correct?

Are any of you club fitter guys willing to walk me through it all and show me the tricks so I get it right the first time?




I realize that I could probably buy a set of mint X-22s in any flex I wanted for around 250-300 bills, but like I said, sentimental value.

Sorry for the late reply. You may want to read this from Jeff Summit of Hireko Golf. Also this from Golfworks. I myself have never reshafted any Callaway irons.

http://blog.hirekogolf.com/2009/08/how-to-re-shaft-callaway-irons/

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp?ai=36

Hope this helps.

-Landon
post #20 of 37
Thanks guys.
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets2806 View Post

... I thought I heard somewhere that after you reshaft a club it doesn't do as well as before.

 

If someone messes up the reshafting, this might be the case.

 

If you get a good quality reshaft job, you could find one of the following:

  • Improved performance if the new shaft fits your swing better than the old shaft. I got my X20 Tours reshafted, moving from a 115 gr. PX 5.0 to a 97 gr. NS Pro 8950 R.flex that is about a half a flex softer than the PX. I've picked up about 12 yards a club in distance, and distances for each club are more consistent. I was fortunate enough to have a demo 6i that matched my set, and I tested different shafts in the demo head to select a replacement.
  • Poorer performance. If you reshafted with a shaft that did not fit your swing better.
  • No real change in performance. This might indicate you have a swing problem, not a shaft problem.

 

After a reshaft, you might need a lie angle check after a few rounds. If you move to a lighter shaft, you may have more shaft toe down (shaft bowing downward on downswing). This might mean you need a more upright lie on your irons.

post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Bumping an old thread in hopes of some guidance. I'm hoping @LBlack14 or @WUTiger pick up on this for me.:-)

 

I"ve got a set of X-22s (non-tour) that carry some sentimental value. The issue is, they have A-flex graphite shafts. I don't like the feel of graphite in my irons and I suspect the A-flex would be terrible for me anyway. I would love to reshaft the 5-9 irons in steel and put them in my bag. ...

 

 

Ernest,

 

Sorry I missed  your first posting on this.

 

X22 irons (non-T) had a parallel tip (PTIP) hosel, which is .370 tip.

 

I'm most familiar with the X20 and X20 Tours - I tested the X22 family also, but never liked them as much as the X20s. Not sure what to tell you about the bore-through vs. cap on X22.

 

For borethrough reshaft, you'll need some bore pins (plastic polymer) to plug the bottom of the shaft after insert. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW2004

 

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but reshafting into a borethrough hosel has its own special challenges. Some golfshops will send out a borethrough job to a specialist if they don't have much practice doing it.

 

If you have a significant weight difference between the old and new shaft, or the old and new grips, both of these can change the set's swingweight. Be aware of this.

  • For the X22, the graphite shafts are 1/4" longer than the steel Uniflex, but swingweight for graphite (D0) shafts is lighter.
  • I can't find weight for X22 graphite shaft. But, I suspect the Dynamic Gold is about 30 grams heavier. Again, this influences swingweight.

 

Here's X22 specs from CPO: http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/x-22-irons/irons-x-22,default,pd.html?cgid=iron-sets 

post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post
 

 

Ernest,

 

Sorry I missed  your first posting on this.

 

X22 irons (non-T) had a parallel tip (PTIP) hosel, which is .370 tip.

 

I'm most familiar with the X20 and X20 Tours - I tested the X22 family also, but never liked them as much as the X20s. Not sure what to tell you about the bore-through vs. cap on X22.

 

For borethrough reshaft, you'll need some bore pins (plastic polymer) to plug the bottom of the shaft after insert. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW2004

 

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but reshafting into a borethrough hosel has its own special challenges. Some golfshops will send out a borethrough job to a specialist if they don't have much practice doing it.

 

If you have a significant weight difference between the old and new shaft, or the old and new grips, both of these can change the set's swingweight. Be aware of this.

  • For the X22, the graphite shafts are 1/4" longer than the steel Uniflex, but swingweight for graphite (D0) shafts is lighter.
  • I can't find weight for X22 graphite shaft. But, I suspect the Dynamic Gold is about 30 grams heavier. Again, this influences swingweight.

 

Here's X22 specs from CPO: http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/x-22-irons/irons-x-22,default,pd.html?cgid=iron-sets 

Thanks for the info.

 

As far as I can ascertain, the X-22s are not borethrough, the little plastic cap on the bottom is just for looks. There may or may not be a weighted plug under it though.

 

I find the clubs a touch light feeling as is, so a heavier shaft may be a good thing. When I hit the ball well I have a very high ballflight. I'm a little concerned that the X-22s will balloon on me so I may want a heavier and stiffer shaft?

 

I keep changing my mind as to whether or not this is a good idea or a dumb one...:-\

post #24 of 37

Ernest,

 

The Dynamic Golds are quite heavy shafts. Raw shafts in the parallel tip versions from R200 at 124 grams, to X300 at 137 grams. DG taper tip shafts have slightly different weight ranges.

 

Low launch is a hallmark of the classic DGs, so I suspect you'll get what you want! 

post #25 of 37

Just got off the phone with Callaway. Great news, they will rehaft and regrip my 5-9 plus the PW and AW for $145.00 + $30 shipping. That's about half what I was budgeting based on Golftown's pricing. This would be for True Temper Speedstep 85 shafts and Callaway's standard grip, which is some kind of Lamkin.

 

I can upgrade to DG R300 for an extra $55.

 

I can also get NDMCs for an extra $10 per club.

post #26 of 37
If I'm not badly mistaken there were 2 versions of those, one bore through and one not. No questioning one from the other, the non had no shaft to be seen on the sole. Heat one up and pull it to find out.

That doesn't sound like great news to me, sounds like a RIP. JMHO.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

If I'm not badly mistaken there were 2 versions of those, one bore through and one not. No questioning one from the other, the non had no shaft to be seen on the sole. Heat one up and pull it to find out.

That doesn't sound like great news to me, sounds like a RIP. JMHO.

I'm not sure I catch your drift on this one.. Callaway will do the work so I can't see there being an issue? RIP = rest in peace?

post #28 of 37
Sounds over priced, but then that's me. I would not hesitate to reshaft those myself even though I've never done a set of Cally bore through.
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

Sounds over priced, but then that's me. I would not hesitate to reshaft those myself even though I've never done a set of Cally bore through.

 

You do realize that most people don't have the tools or want to mess with that sort of stuff, right? :-)

 

Before PURE Grips I paid someone else to regrip my clubs. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of having the right stuff, doing it "for the first time" every time I had to re-do it, re-purposing a hair dryer to get the tape off, blah blah blah.

 

Plus, he said it's half the price of GolfTown.

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

Sounds over priced, but then that's me. I would not hesitate to reshaft those myself even though I've never done a set of Cally bore through.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

You do realize that most people don't have the tools or want to mess with that sort of stuff, right? :-)

 

Plus, he said it's half the price of GolfTown.

Yeah, I just double checked and the shafts are $22 at golf town so $154 in shafts alone. Add $15 per shaft for install and I'm already there and haven't even bought grips yet. Plus the guy who works the proshop at my golf town is a butcher.

post #31 of 37
Sounds like a good deal to me. Obviously I have no basis for that statement though.

Keep us posted on how they work after you get them back.
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

You do realize that most people don't have the tools or want to mess with that sort of stuff, right? a1_smile.gif

Before PURE Grips I paid someone else to regrip my clubs. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of having the right stuff, doing it "for the first time" every time I had to re-do it, re-purposing a hair dryer to get the tape off, blah blah blah.

Plus, he said it's half the price of GolfTown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

Sounds over priced, but then that's me. I would not hesitate to reshaft those myself even though I've never done a set of Cally bore through.

c2_beer.gif
post #33 of 37

Alright, pulled the trigger this afternoon. 5-GW reshaft (so 7 clubs) with DG R300 and standard grips (some kind of lamkins) for $265 CDN shipped, tax in.

 

I wonder if I'll notice an impact on my scores. My current clubs are over 12 years old but they are CBs. Pretty sure they don't make a club that won't hook into the trees or pull into the lake...I guess I'll get a little help on the fat and thin shots...at least they'll be nice and shiny...

 

:-$

post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Just got off the phone with Callaway. Great news, they will rehaft and regrip my 5-9 plus the PW and AW for $145.00 + $30 shipping. That's about half what I was budgeting based on Golftown's pricing. This would be for True Temper Speedstep 85 shafts and Callaway's standard grip, which is some kind of Lamkin.

 

I can upgrade to DG R300 for an extra $55.

 

I can also get NDMCs for an extra $10 per club.


Pretty good price, I think Callaway irons offer Winn grips as their standard grip?  You should be able to specify.

 

The DG R300 should give you a decent launch / ball flight.

 

They should also give you a good feel at impact.

 

Good luck & enjoy.

 

Club Rat

post #35 of 37

UPDATE:

 

Bright new shinny clubs arrive September, 11.

 

I have a pub scramble on the 15th.

 

:dance::banana::dance::banana::dance::banana::dance::banana::dance::banana::dance::banana:

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

UPDATE:

Bright new shinny clubs arrive September, 11.

I have a pub scramble on the 15th.

c3_clap.gifc5_banana.gifc3_clap.gifc5_banana.gifc3_clap.gifc5_banana.gifc3_clap.gifc5_banana.gifc3_clap.gifc5_banana.gifc3_clap.gifc5_banana.gif
I had a seizure from this post. You got new clubs? Or re shafted the old ones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Reshafting Irons