or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › best blades of all time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best blades of all time

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
what do you guys beliveve are the best blades of all time?

Golf Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Blade 2 was my favorite ;) MP 33's
post #3 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

I would put my money on a modern set of Miura blades being the best blades of all time.
post #4 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Without a doubt MacGregor's Muirfield Customs. Forged in the USA by Hoffman with a true copper underlay (rather than nickel like today's irons), they are the softest clubs I have ever hit. It's too bad Hoffman doesn't make golf clubs any more because the quality of their work surpasses anything I have ever seen.
post #5 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Mizuno mp33
post #6 of 58
Thread Starter 

Re: best blades of all time

Originally Posted by JaY_B View Post
I would put my money on a modern set of Miura blades being the best blades of all time.
they are great blades, i really love kzg they are amazing heads.
post #7 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Anything with 'Ben Hogan' on it. Forged clubs...can't be beat.
post #8 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Originally Posted by naples golf18 View Post
they are great blades, i really love kzg they are amazing heads.
Have you seen their newest blade out here

It is the most beautiful club I have ever seen
post #9 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

The Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blade.
post #10 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

The new Miura MB 5003 for Japan issue is really receiving rave reviews as the best Miura blade ever. Made for the Japanese market but you can check it out and buy it at Tourspecgolf. Best source for Japanese gear.
post #11 of 58
Thread Starter 

Re: best blades of all time

Originally Posted by JaY_B View Post
Have you seen their newest blade out here

It is the most beautiful club I have ever seen
very nice looking club. bet it plays well too.
post #12 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Well, i've been trying out blades for the last 2 months in order to buy a set, and my personal top 3 are as follows:
3.) Titlest 755i
2.) Taylor Made RAC TP/MB
1.) Mizuno MPXX (57 or 60) <--to me they felt the same

I went ahead and purchased the Taylor Made's a few days ago because (1) I felt very comfortable with either 3 (they were all close in feel and playability) and (2) I didnt want to break the bank and got them for a great price. It's my first set of forged clubs so I figured i'd use these for the next few years and then hopefully get the latest and greatest in 2010 or 2011...
post #13 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Hogan Apex from 1972.
post #14 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Originally Posted by gas_can View Post
Without a doubt MacGregor's Muirfield Customs. Forged in the USA by Hoffman with a true copper underlay (rather than nickel like today's irons), they are the softest clubs I have ever hit. It's too bad Hoffman doesn't make golf clubs any more because the quality of their work surpasses anything I have ever seen.
I just started to play with the Macgregor Jack Nicholas Muirfield 20th edition for few months, it did not improve my swing but improved my concerntration / focus throughout the shot and that somehow made me score better!! It's really old set but when I got them, they're practically new!
It's got shorter shaft and weeker loft compared with my KZG Forged
Cavitiy II but I'm really getting to enjoy this set and hope my score keeps improving. Gas_can, do you have ay info regarding the spec. of the set?
Last time I bought them to a club fitter, they didnt have a clue.
post #15 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Originally Posted by yamhang View Post
I just started to play with the Macgregor Jack Nicholas Muirfield 20th edition for few months, it did not improve my swing but improved my concerntration / focus throughout the shot and that somehow made me score better!! It's really old set but when I got them, they're practically new!
It's got shorter shaft and weeker loft compared with my KZG Forged
Cavitiy II but I'm really getting to enjoy this set and hope my score keeps improving. Gas_can, do you have ay info regarding the spec. of the set?
Last time I bought them to a club fitter, they didnt have a clue.
yamhang,

They are significantly different specs than today's clubs. They were made back in the day when golf balls spun like the dickens and getting the ball in the air wasn't as big of a challenge.

The specs are based off a 50 degree wedge going up in four degree increments from there. The five iron is an inch shorter than today's standards I believe at 37 inches, add and subtract in half inch increments from there.

Great set of clubs, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only old goat on this board who hasn't forgotten about some of the old classic clubs.
post #16 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Mizuno MP-32 irons are the best that I have hit. The most consistant soft feel, and clean look throughout the set, plus it won several awards from all the magazines.
post #17 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Originally Posted by gas_can View Post
yamhang,

They are significantly different specs than today's clubs. They were made back in the day when golf balls spun like the dickens and getting the ball in the air wasn't as big of a challenge.

The specs are based off a 50 degree wedge going up in four degree increments from there. The five iron is an inch shorter than today's standards I believe at 37 inches, add and subtract in half inch increments from there.

Great set of clubs, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only old goat on this board who hasn't forgotten about some of the old classic clubs.
gas_can,
Really appreciate your info regarding the club spec. and you're absolutely right about these vintage classic clubs; you see I'm no bigger hitter and my 7-iron goes about 155 to 160 but when I play with the vintage Macgregor set, I actually somehow gain 10 yards in every club (except the 3 iron). May be that is because my "hit-rate" with these forged blades are better compared with my KZG's. Dont know why smaller head with weaker loft, shorter shaft ly go further. How about some opinion from you?
post #18 of 58

Re: best blades of all time

Originally Posted by useless149149 View Post
Hogan Apex from 1972.
There's an answer I like to read without me having to post it. The moment I read that these were supposedly the best blades the Hogan company ever made I've been hunting for a set on ebay ever since. Finally won an auction for them last month. I didn't want to play them, but found out that the serial numbers don't match so I decided to start playing them.

I must say, I wouldn't mind trying out a set of these Miura Retro Blades. Those are HOT! Those Black Wedges look pretty sweet too.
LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting

Golf Gear mentioned in this thread:

TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › best blades of all time