or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Super Stroke Putter Grip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Super Stroke Putter Grip

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
I am building a Snake Eyes Sight-Line M360 putter and will be installing a super stroke putter grip on it to try it out. KJ Choi just won his 2nd tournament using the grip and I am starting to see a few around.
Has anyone used one? What do you think of them?
post #2 of 44

Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

I've never used one.

Most of the reviews advertise "relaxing your hands" and "preventing wrist movement".

If you get one let us know how it is.
post #3 of 44
Thread Starter 

Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

Originally Posted by Bowker View Post
I've never used one.

Most of the reviews advertise "relaxing your hands" and "preventing wrist movement".

If you get one let us know how it is.
As I get older, turn 55 this month, my hands have more movement in them than they used too, so maybe this will help. No big yips yet, but I can feel toeing or heeling a long putt. I am anxious to try it out.
post #4 of 44
Thread Starter 

Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

Each year I try to make an effort to improve in a particular area of my game that needed improvement from the previous golf season. More often than not it usually is the short game and more specifically putting.
I am not big on golf gimmicks, but this winter I purchased a Super Stroke putter grip:
http://www.superstrokegrip.com/
I put it on my putter and have had a chance to putt with it on the practice green as well as test drive it for 9 holes. Here is my observations: (1) experiment with the orientation of the grip. In other words, the flat portion of the grip can be normal (facing out), turned out (facing front) and turned back (facing back). The best feel I got was facing out with the flat side facing front. (2) the grip completely takes any small muscles out of the swing, ie. the hands, especially the right hand and forces you to use the big shoulder muscles giving you that nice pendleum swing. (3) you grip pressure is very light and consistant allowing great feedback on the putts.
Installation is easy and adjustable. But to make it USGA compliant you have to allen screw the bottom 2 screws into the shaft and epoxy the holes. But until I am firm in where I want the grip positioned I am leaving that step out.
I know everyone putts differently and everyone has a different feel with grips, but for me I am going to use it this year because I see the improvement in my stroke already.
KJ Choi does not seem to have any problem using it. I am guessing I will be seeing others begin to use it. Right now I am the only one at my course that has played this winter using it.
post #5 of 44

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

a lot of people have come in to golf galaxy and asked about this and I guess the only advice I have is if you like it get it, but I can't deal with putting with such a large grip, but it helps when u get nervous or can't get the right feel everytime.
post #6 of 44
Thread Starter 

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

I agree. It will not be for everyone. Obviously, I am not pushing this grip on anyone, but only giving my observations and opinions. Heck, I may ditch it by summer who knows. I just know for now it helps my putting stroke.
post #7 of 44

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

I'd be too embarrassed to pull that thing out on every hole.
post #8 of 44
Thread Starter 

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

Originally Posted by Rusterson View Post
I'd be too embarrassed to pull that thing out on every hole.
Too embarrassed to improve your golf score? That is what you are saying if this grip did improve your putting stats. I would rather keep using my same putter grip and averag 1.9 putts per round and not feel embarassed rather than use the super stroke grip and watch my average putts per round drop to 1.7 or less. I hope you were being sarcastic. That logic makes no sense. Obviously if the grip does not improve your game then don't use it. I have to admit it does look weird, but don't knock it if you have not tried it. To me it looks no worse than the under the chin long putters someone has sticking out of their golf bag.
post #9 of 44

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

I tried a Winn Jumbo grip because I liked how it felt and bought it on impulse. I played it for a month before I realized that it not doing much for me because it had changed the swingweight in my putter causing me to lose the putterhead. I used some lead tape but in the end I went back to what I started with because there was never really a problem. I was just looking for something better. If it had worked, I would still be using it.

If it works for you then use it. KJ has made a ton of money with it.
post #10 of 44
Thread Starter 

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post
I tried a Winn Jumbo grip because I liked how it felt and bought it on impulse. I played it for a month before I realized that it not doing much for me because it had changed the swingweight in my putter causing me to lose the putterhead. I used some lead tape but in the end I went back to what I started with because there was never really a problem. I was just looking for something better. If it had worked, I would still be using it.

If it works for you then use it. KJ has made a ton of money with it.
That was my point. It will not be for everyone. That is why there are 6 zillion different putters and grips on the market. It does affect the swingweight so knowing that going in you find a putter with a heavier head weight like in the 350g or higher range if swingweight is a problem. You guys are acting like I am a Super Stroke grip salesman. I had not seen anyone give there observations from using one so I posted mine. You can trash it all you want.
post #11 of 44

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
That was my point. It will not be for everyone. That is why there are 6 zillion different putters and grips on the market. It does affect the swingweight so knowing that going in you find a putter with a heavier head weight like in the 350g or higher range if swingweight is a problem. You guys are acting like I am a Super Stroke grip salesman. I had not seen anyone give there observations from using one so I posted mine. You can trash it all you want.
Hey Gap, I was just giving my experience of a similar, but not the same, product (ie huge putter grip). Where did I trash anything? I think that my point of swingweight which you confirmed but did not mention in your intitial review is valid and something that adds to this discussion.
post #12 of 44
Thread Starter 

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post
Hey Gap, I was just giving my experience of a similar, but not the same, product (ie huge putter grip). Where did I trash anything? I think that my point of swingweight which you confirmed but did not mention in your intitial review is valid and something that adds to this discussion.
Tour,
You and I are buddies. Not trying to flame anyone. I appreciate your input. I guess this post has run its course. Most large putter grips would indeed make the swingweight get lighter and thus a loss of putter head feel. A heavier putter like my Ping CrazE G5i putter is a high MOI putter and I still get the feel using the Super Stroke grip. I always appreciate reading your posts and input.
post #13 of 44

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
Tour,
You and I are buddies. Not trying to flame anyone. I appreciate your input. I guess this post has run its course. Most large putter grips would indeed make the swingweight get lighter and thus a loss of putter head feel. A heavier putter like my Ping CrazE G5i putter is a high MOI putter and I still get the feel using the Super Stroke grip. I always appreciate reading your posts and input.
Ditto Gap.
post #14 of 44

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

I wonder how this grip would work with one of the "Heavy Putters" which is supposed to do the same thing. You sure would have a hard time noticing the weight differential.
post #15 of 44
Thread Starter 

Re: Gimmick or the real deal? Super Stroke grip

Originally Posted by doberman View Post
I wonder how this grip would work with one of the "Heavy Putters" which is supposed to do the same thing. You sure would have a hard time noticing the weight differential.
If with my Ping CrazE G5i I can still feel the head of the putter with this grip you for sure will have no problem with the Heavy Putter that has a head weight of over 400g. The Ping is around 355g.
The thing that impresses me about this grip is the light grip pressure I can put on it. With the high MOI rating of my putter there is no twisting whatsoever in the head on mis-hits.
post #16 of 44

Superstroke Grip

Has anyone had an experince with the super stroke putting grip? ive really been struggling lately, and i heard some good things about this via the internet. just asking for ur guys opinions. I know it looks really wierd, but if its good and it helps, why not right?
post #17 of 44

Re: Superstroke Grip

Superstroke Review - I to have struggled with shorter putts (inside 6 ft) and from everything that i read, the larger size would eliminate the wrists in the stroke. Went to local golf galaxy looking for a large style grip (Winn or Tiger Shark) which were sold out, but they did have the Superstroke. NOTE - this grip does not go onto the club in the typical manner. It has 6 set screws that you allen wrench onto the shaft. To make the club tourney ready, you must pierce the shaft with the lowest screws and then put glue into the screws to make it permanent. I am not 100% certain why this is necesary when you don't have to do this for the moveable weight clubs, but this is what was described in the instruction manual. Not a big deal, but you do need to know how this attaches.

PROS - it did perform as described. Close range putts were much easier and more consistent. Large size was OK for medium size hands - ML golf glove size.

CONS - long range putts were very difficult to get close. Consistency was a big issue for me. Also due to the way that the grip installs it created a funny sound on impact with my Futura. Not sure why, but it was annoying. Cost might be an issue for some - $50 for the colored version.

I kept it on for 3 rounds and probably 2 hours of practice and just could never get used to it.

In my next trip back to golf galaxy, they did have a winn large paddle (can't remember the model) and i had this installed. Installs in the typical manner. This is still an oversize grip and cost was approx. $18 installed. (cost was not a factor, so i am not 100% certain).

The super stroke was just not right for me. The disadvantage of the long range inconsistency was to much to get around, and the sound was the final deciding factor.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
post #18 of 44

Re: Superstroke Grip

I tried it for a couple of months and didn't like it. It seemed to make my putter a little off balance and top heavy. I took it off and went back to a normal small grip and everything feels normal again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Super Stroke Putter Grip