or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Worst Advice Ever?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Worst Advice Ever? - Page 2

post #19 of 37

Re: Worst Advice Ever?

Worst golf tip:

"Take up Tennis."

Maybe I should have listened.

Seriously, go to any driving range and listen to what some people are telling each other. It will make you cringe. "I think you need more lag in your swing" doesn't help the guy that is aligned 40 yards to the right of the target. You all know what I mean. Watching a guy teaching his wife is the best entertainment going..."Knees bent, keep your head down, feet apart, take it back low and slow, keep your head down, don't sway, keep your head down, grip it lightly, did I tell you to keep your head down..."
post #20 of 37

Re: Worst Advice Ever?

Seven years ago, my first game on a regulation course. Got there early so I could familarize myself. I'm looking for the putting green and a guy on the patio yells "it's right in front of you, dude!". It was the 18th green.

To hear the rest of this true story, I need to get to know you better...
post #21 of 37

Re: Worst Advice Ever?

Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post
Watching a guy teaching his wife is the best entertainment going..."Knees bent, keep your head down, feet apart, take it back low and slow, keep your head down, don't sway, keep your head down, grip it lightly, did I tell you to keep your head down..."

The H.P. piece about how a man shouldn't teach his wife golf or how to drive a car, and she shouldn't teach him how to play bridge seriously applies here.
post #22 of 37

Re: Worst Advice Ever?

Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post
Worst golf tip:
Watching a guy teaching his wife is the best entertainment going..."Knees bent, keep your head down, feet apart, take it back low and slow, keep your head down, don't sway, keep your head down, grip it lightly, did I tell you to keep your head down..."
You sure this was about golf??
post #23 of 37

I know I'm digging up a long dead thread, but I figured this was the place to post this instead of starting a new one.

 

On the range today, before my 9 holes, a mid-30s guy walked over and complimented me on my swing. He asked if I would mind watching him hit some balls and offer some advice. I said sure. So I walked over behind him. Two spots down was another guy, who overheard the gentleman ask me for advice and decided he too would offer his two cents. The guy hits a few balls. He was swaying instead of turning and all that movement made it very difficult for him to strike the ball well. I showed him what I was talking about. Before he could hit a ball, the other guy came over and inserted that the man's grip was all wrong. He was baseball gripping the club, but that wasn't the main reason he was hitting the ball so poorly. It was then that I heard one of the most illogical statements I've come across.

 

"Expert Joe" informed the poor guy that because his right thumb was on top of the shaft, it was causing his left shoulder to drop... And that if he just placed his thumb on the side of the shaft, his swing worries would simply vanish. 

 

Now I didn't take any anatomy courses in college, but I'm fairly confident that the placement of the right thumb on the grip has no consequence on the left shoulder. 

post #24 of 37

Since this thread got bumped, I suppose I'll add the worst tip I ever received. This piece of advice has caused me so many hours of despair and frustration that I cannot help but think of the person who gave me the trip—a good friend—with a sense of seething resentment.

 

The tip: "You really should give golf a try. You'll love it."

post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbear View Post

 
You sure this was about golf??

I wasn't there but a friend claims to have told the bride to keep her head down and follow through as part of his best man wedding toast.

post #26 of 37

Played a round with a co-worker once, we were newly acquainted so not like we are long time buds.

 

It got awkward really fast.  On the first couple holes I would be mid-address on nearly every shot and he would be giving me tips about my swing.  At hole 3 at the tee box I had taken a practice swing was addressing and he started with the advice again and I couldn't take it anymore and told him that if he wanted to finish the round with me he was going to have to stop telling me how to play.  

 

It was about 3 holes before the mood lightened again.  I should have known this would have happened, I went to the range with him once prior and he was the same way at the range.  His "best" advice for me kept being to put the ball further back in my stance as opposed to middle of my stance, then I wouldn't hit it fat anymore. 

post #27 of 37

Some old guy was watching me hit on the driving range.  He had been duffing and so he backed off for a while to watch other people.  I was smoking my 19* hybrid pretty well.  After four or five minutes I topped a ball really bad - like 20 yards - and so I backed off and regrouped myself to stretch my back, take off my glove etc.

 

The old guy walks over and picks up a practice ball and he says "They have these two horizontal marks so that you can aim at the ball better."

 

I say "Thanks sir what do I owe you?"

 

He kept quiet after that but I felt bad for being rude.

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Some old guy was watching me hit on the driving range.  He had been duffing and so he backed off for a while to watch other people.  I was smoking my 19* hybrid pretty well.  After four or five minutes I topped a ball really bad - like 20 yards - and so I backed off and regrouped myself to stretch my back, take off my glove etc.

 

The old guy walks over and picks up a practice ball and he says "They have these two horizontal marks so that you can aim at the ball better."

 

I say "Thanks sir what do I owe you?"

 

He kept quiet after that but I felt bad for being rude.

a3_biggrin.gif, he got what he deserved though.

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

The old guy walks over and picks up a practice ball and he says "They have these two horizontal marks so that you can aim at the ball better."

 

I say "Thanks sir what do I owe you?"

 

He kept quiet after that but I felt bad for being rude.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

a3_biggrin.gif, he got what he deserved though.

I am not a big fan of unsolicited advice, but that was pretty harmless- either meant to be funny or so stupid that you could ignore it pretty easily.

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by France46 View Post

 

I am not a big fan of unsolicited advice, but that was pretty harmless- either meant to be funny or so stupid that you could ignore it pretty easily.

Thanks, it really didn't bother me too much but I've told the story a few times.  I feel like I have a knack for being a "people person" (outside sales in oil & gas) so I feel like I know when someone is trying to joke or make small talk.  This guy was dead serious and I wasn't the only one rolling my eyes at him.  Didn't bother me much as I gave him my quip and continued as normal.  

 

As a matter of fact I was at a country club in Houston and he was a Mexico native.  One of the obnoxious one who has too much dirty money and more "hobbies" than he has garage space.  Lol.

post #31 of 37
Over fade one ball just into the rough... "You came over the top on that one, try _______". This from a guy who has hit 17 straight over the top slices nearly 3 fairways over.
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post

Watching a guy teaching his wife is the best entertainment going..."Knees bent, keep your head down, feet apart, take it back low and slow, keep your head down, don't sway, keep your head down, grip it lightly, did I tell you to keep your head down..."

This was me last night.  We had a great time though even though we got some chuckles from neighbors on the range.  I don't mind. I think her and I both know the best part of it is she gets to play dress up in tight skirts and cute golf shirts.

post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

This was me last night.  We had a great time though even though we got some chuckles from neighbors on the range.  I don't mind. I think her and I both know the best part of it is she gets to play dress up in tight skirts and cute golf shirts.

My wife and I took a lesson together last summer. It was a great deal, and I didn't feel like it robbed us of any time because the instructor would tell  me something, then I would work on it and he would tell her something, and he did a good job.

 

The bad part of that, is that my wife knows I was there when she took her lesson and wants me to teach her all across the course. I don't mind trying to help her at the range, but I keep telling her I don't know any more than she does because I still slice a good bit myself and all I can do is repeat what I heard him say. But I hate doing it on the course. I am trying to get ready for my shot, and she gets mad if I don't come stand behind her and help her aim and get ready. I've threatened to quit playing with her if she does it, but usually by the back 9 she has gotten more comfortable and doesn't ask anymore. 

 

We have fun playing together typically, but it is obnoxious to have to try to teach someone while they are on the tee box, especially when you don't know that much yourself.

 

The worst advice I've received is from my dad. He just started playing for the first time in his life last summer, and has had only one lesson that he didn't even take anything from, and he constantly gives me advice. He has kind of an ugly swing, although he can crush his driver at times when he does everything straight. But he will give me some tip about bending my left elbow back more because that helps him, as I am lining up my shot. Really irritating to get advice on the tee box, and especially when it's the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post

My wife and I took a lesson together last summer. It was a great deal, and I didn't feel like it robbed us of any time because the instructor would tell  me something, then I would work on it and he would tell her something, and he did a good job.

 

The bad part of that, is that my wife knows I was there when she took her lesson and wants me to teach her all across the course. I don't mind trying to help her at the range, but I keep telling her I don't know any more than she does because I still slice a good bit myself and all I can do is repeat what I heard him say. But I hate doing it on the course. I am trying to get ready for my shot, and she gets mad if I don't come stand behind her and help her aim and get ready. I've threatened to quit playing with her if she does it, but usually by the back 9 she has gotten more comfortable and doesn't ask anymore. 

 

We have fun playing together typically, but it is obnoxious to have to try to teach someone while they are on the tee box, especially when you don't know that much yourself.

 

The worst advice I've received is from my dad. He just started playing for the first time in his life last summer, and has had only one lesson that he didn't even take anything from, and he constantly gives me advice. He has kind of an ugly swing, although he can crush his driver at times when he does everything straight. But he will give me some tip about bending my left elbow back more because that helps him, as I am lining up my shot. Really irritating to get advice on the tee box, and especially when it's the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

Advice on the course, BAH HUMBUG! That's what the driving range is for.  I don't even care for someone assessing their own swing on the tee box.  Throws me off if I listen to them so I just block them out while they complain about their swing etc.  Totally feel you on that.  Having dear old dad give you swing advice when he is not much better... that's classic.  Wish I could say the same but my old man is a scratch golfer and a great addition to our company scrambles a3_biggrin.gif

 

I've told my lady that we won't be playing on the course until she is consistent.  Told her don't expect a tee time for a couple months.  No sense in holding up another group (or joining them and hitting split tees).

 

I hope she gets good enough to take it up and be competitive from the forward tees without embarrassing me.  :-P

post #35 of 37

no offense but "you should take a lesson" was the worst advice so far.  problem is there are far too many duds of instructors out there, and really no easy way to find one that works except trial and error.  one instructor may be good for you, but terrible for someone else.  plus it's a waste of money if it isn't good advice.  i've learned a lot more by analyzing my own swing and making adjustments vs. having an instructor tell me.  the process hasn't paid dividends for me, but i'm certainly not saying all isntructors suck because that isn't true.
 

other than that, just go to the damn driving range and see that 99% of the people out there are terrible with terrible mechanics.  why would anyone ever take advice from an amateur either???

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

I've told my lady that we won't be playing on the course until she is consistent.  Told her don't expect a tee time for a couple months.  No sense in holding up another group (or joining them and hitting split tees).

 

I hope she gets good enough to take it up and be competitive from the forward tees without embarrassing me.  :-P

My wife played when she was in high school, and then didn't play much for 6-8 years. She is actually better than me when she gets going, she just doesn't play as much as I do and her clubs are way too short for her.

 

We got her a new set last week that is her length and a lot newer and nicer. I'm a little nervous to play with her, because she was already hitting it well. She hits it low and a slight draw but sometimes her drives from the front tees would be right next to my drives from the middle tees. With newer clubs, I'm afraid she is going to beat me!b1_ohmy.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Worst Advice Ever?