Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    5
  • comments
    63
  • views
    3,173

Cabin Fever and eBay

billchao

1,694 views

I find myself looking at irons on eBay lately. It's a bad habit of mine. A few winters ago, I bought a set of vintage Hogans. They were kind of fun to kick around with for a bit. I played close to half that season with them even though they were way too much (or is it too little?) club for me. I still practice with them, but they're mostly collecting dust - some in the basement, some in the garage, and I have one (now two, actually) in the coat closet.

Now I'm looking at Mizunos. Modern, though: MP 4s and MP 64s. Figured they're more playable than the Hogans, not that I'm in the market for new irons. Just kind of want them. I sold a set of Mizunos a number of years ago and I want another.

I should actually get a new set of wedges if I'm going to buy new clubs, but another set of blades seems so much more satisfying for some reason.

Winter needs to be over so I can go play and stop looking at stuff I don't need.



19 Comments


Recommended Comments

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. I also have a set of Hogans sitting around that were purchased on eBay.

Right now, it's easy not to pull the trigger on that stuff. I have too much crap in my garage. Plus, any money spent on golf should go towards lessons - not clubs I have no business playing with.

Almost as addicting as eBay is a trip to the local golf shop. They have several used sets of Mizunos, Bridgestones, Hogans... like a kid in a candy store.

Edited by JonMA1

Share this comment


Link to comment

...I literally just clicked over here to the Trap from ebay! Bought a new wedge and am mulling over a putter.

 

...and tossing wood into the furnace waiting for spring :~(

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Almost as addicting as eBay is a trip to the local golf shop. They have several used sets of Mizunos, Bridgestones, Hogans... like a kid in a candy store.

There used to be two Golfsmiths and a Golf Galaxy by me, but they're all closed now. I don't get to demo anything anymore unless I go to Dick's. No used clubs for me to mess around with. There's a PGA Tour Superstore (and another Golf Galaxy a few blocks from it) almost an hour away, through traffic and tolls. No thanks.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Bill, I have a set of Mizuno MP-30's I could sell you.  They're just cluttering up my basement at the moment.

Share this comment


Link to comment
15 hours ago, billchao said:

Winter needs to be over so I can go play and stop looking at stuff I don't need.

Passing by the used, ahem, pre-owned, section every practice indoor practice session (PGA Superstore) and it's some kind of miracle I haven't bought anything, lord knows I looked.

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Bill, I have a set of Mizuno MP-30's I could sell you.  They're just cluttering up my basement at the moment.

You're not helping! I'm supposed to be not buying clubs, or at least that's what my wife tells me ;-)

I'll PM you :whistle:

Share this comment


Link to comment

I have a set of Nike blades (the pre-VR ones that Tiger used most of his career) sitting in a box in my kitchen that I bought off Ebay a few years ago. Eventually I'll get them shafted and put grips on them. 

If I were to buy another set like that I'd probably get the MP 32s. Those are probably my favorite irons ever made. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
24 minutes ago, jamo said:

I have a set of Nike blades (the pre-VR ones that Tiger used most of his career) sitting in a box in my kitchen that I bought off Ebay a few years ago. Eventually I'll get them shafted and put grips on them.

Now's as good of a time as any :-D

25 minutes ago, jamo said:

If I were to buy another set like that I'd probably get the MP 32s. Those are probably my favorite irons ever made. 

I've never hit them, but read great things about them.

I tell myself I'm trying to find the perfect set, but honestly I think I just like irons.

Share this comment


Link to comment

First, I’m kinda the same way as well.  Second, the other winter I had a set of irons and some other clubs I wanted to sell on eBay.  I thought if I list them now I might only have the warm states as my buyers so I decided to wait for spring.  I guess that idea didn’t have any merit because the cabin fevor set might have even been more willing to buy them in winter.

Share this comment


Link to comment

I caved. Bought a nice set of Mizuno MP 4 heads that I'm going to shaft with the KBS Tours I have in my Callaways. Guess I can put off new wedges or a push cart for another year.

My wife says I'm not allowed on eBay anymore ;-)

Share this comment


Link to comment

I have two extra full sets of Mizuno forged MX-200 (GI) irons and cast MX-100 (SGI) irons and hybrid-irons that I bought on eBay, the MX-200's during an ice storm that kept us in for days. BUT I then added to my monetary injurious behavior by, in essence, rebuilding the clubs with new shafts and grips. It was a crazy spending frenzy! Sheesh! -Marv

Share this comment


Link to comment

20180413_151221.jpg

They arrived today! Was expecting them Monday. I haven't ordered ferrules for them yet so I might not get them shafted until next weekend or possibly later.

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, iacas said:

I say get some nice white ferrules.

Yea I'm going to go with a colored ferrule. Was leaning towards red since that matches my grips. White is nice, too.

Or maybe I'll get something off-beat and colorful like purple or lime green. But probably not.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Good to see some folks are doing their part to help keep the golf industry alive.......sort of. :-)

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/14/2018 at 8:53 AM, billchao said:

Yea I'm going to go with a colored ferrule. Was leaning towards red since that matches my grips. White is nice, too.

Or maybe I'll get something off-beat and colorful like purple or lime green. But probably not.

I went with burgundy. Nice purplish red wine color. Going to look great with white grips when I make the change maybe later this year. For now they don't clash with the red grips, so I'm fine with it.

Just put the clubs together. I'll check them tomorrow night. If everything is good they're going straight to the course Sunday morning which will be interesting.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, billchao said:

I went with burgundy. Nice purplish red wine color. Going to look great with white grips when I make the change maybe later this year. For now they don't clash with the red grips, so I'm fine with it.

Just put the clubs together. I'll check them tomorrow night. If everything is good they're going straight to the course Sunday morning which will be interesting.

So I was perusing Amazon for PURE DTX grips and now I've messed myself up. I know I was planning on white grips for my burgundy ferrules, but now I kind of want purple grips and they most certainly do not go with burgundy ferrules. So do I stick with the original plan or get purple grips and white ferrules (with chrome rings, perhaps) to match, making more work for myself?

Decisions, decisions. First world problems are tough.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/7/2018 at 6:48 PM, billchao said:

So I was perusing Amazon for PURE DTX grips and now I've messed myself up. I know I was planning on white grips for my burgundy ferrules, but now I kind of want purple grips and they most certainly do not go with burgundy ferrules. So do I stick with the original plan or get purple grips and white ferrules (with chrome rings, perhaps) to match, making more work for myself?

Decisions, decisions. First world problems are tough.

You still haven't got these done yet? Did you get a cart yet? I have a extra one here that I am meaning to sell soon.... Micro cart gt brand new.... 

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

You still haven't got these done yet?

No. It's towards the bottom of my to-do list since it's a cosmetic change. My current grips are still very much playable.

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Did you get a cart yet? I have a extra one here that I am meaning to sell soon.... Micro cart gt brand new.... 

Didn't do that, either. Stretched more life out of my current cart with a pair of bungies and got bumped down the priority list.

Was looking at a Clicgear 3.5, but I'll PM you.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...