Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    9
  • comments
    76
  • views
    674

Club Championship - Round 2

mcanadiens

410 views

The 5W plan started well Sunday morning, but stuff progressively got worse as we went along and the back nine was another train wreck.

Kind of like yesterday I started decent with pars at 1 and 2 and scrapped my way to a 45 on the front. Resorting the 5W kept those balls in play on the front, but left some really long seconds. Some dodgy work with the wedge and few less close misses with the putter and it could have been better. But the back nine had two major blow-up holes and really not a lot of anything good for a 55 and another triple digit score. Only two strokes better than that rotten 102 I carded yesterday,

I was riding so tiredness or the heat are not reasonable excuses, but swings (and different kinds of shots) were all much poorer. The back is a little bit tighter than the front, but it isn't that tough. This weekend cements in my head that I'm now a triple-digit golfer. It's not as if it is some particular flaw that can be corrected with just a bit more practice. The almost bogey golfer from two years ago is gone and this is what is left.

Like some fellows pointed out in my post for the first round, I stuck it out. I took every stroke, counted every penalty and turned in an accurate and complete scorecard. It was a chance to meet some of the better players at Miami Shores, so that's worth something.

Taking a bit of time away from golf sounds like a good idea right now. We'll see how I feel about it next week.

 



15 Comments


Recommended Comments

I feel your pain. But, the question will be ... what will you do about it?
 

Me? I scheduled time with an instructor and changed how I approach the game. Last year, I played and won my flight. I vow to surprise people with my best golf.

Have a beer, reflect and start your plan ... tomorrow.

Share this comment


Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Vespidae said:

I feel your pain. But, the question will be ... what will you do about it?
 

Me? I scheduled time with an instructor and changed how I approach the game. Last year, I played and won my flight. I vow to surprise people with my best golf.

Have a beer, reflect and start your plan ... tomorrow.

Of course. Lessons.

I spent money on lessons last year, tried really hard to follow direction and now I can't hit a driver past my own shadow. Maybe its my fault it didn't work out. Maybe I should give a different instructor a try. Obviously things aren't going to get much better doing what I've been doing, but it is hard to spend that kind of money with uncertain results.

Either way, I'm not starting anything golf related tomorrow. I'm going to work. .

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
23 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Maybe I should give a different instructor a try. Obviously things aren't going to get much better doing what I've been doing, but it is hard to spend that kind of money with uncertain results.

Evolvr. It's $50 per month and you get 4 lessons/submissions per month. Super affordable and you can submit one for driver, then the next week submit one for short game or irons or putting while you work on the driver piece.

Quote

It's not as if it is some particular flaw that can be corrected with just a bit more practice.

You don't know that, I would get in front of a quality instructor and let him/her identify what is wrong. (And before you start talking about price again, there are plenty of affordable options available including starting a member swing thread here which is completely free and from my brief checking it doesn't appear that you have one yet?)

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, klineka said:

completely free

No. It would require me to purchase a camera suitable for taking videos of a golf swing. Sounds like the low end would be about $200.

Maybe worth thinking about anyway.

We had this conversation before once right?

 

Edited by mcanadiens

Share this comment


Link to comment
2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

No. It would require me to purchase a camera suitable for taking videos of a golf swing. Sounds like the low end would be about $200.

You could buy like an old iphone 5 and never activate it and use the camera from that. Those are like $50-60 on ebay. Shoots in 1080p and 30 fps.

Or something like this brand new https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B2W96JH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_n0IfFbJ13DZ90 and add on a 64gb memory card for $12 and you have something you can use besides just filming your golf swing.

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

We had this conversation before once right?

Probably, but since you're still commenting about cost being the barrier of entry for lessons I'm still trying to recommend very affordable alternatives that could help you out. 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
11 hours ago, klineka said:

Probably, but since you're still commenting about cost being the barrier of entry for lessons I'm still trying to recommend very affordable alternatives that could help you out. 

It wasn't a barrier. I took lessons and paid for them. Worked a month diligently trying to do what was recommended and that's really where things went down the drain. Like I said, maybe its my fault. Whatever. It didn't work out.

As far as the phone/camera ... I thought the minimum fps needed to be more like 60 fps.

That Dragon Touch thing looks like a possibility. Thanks for that suggestion.

 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 7/19/2020 at 4:22 PM, mcanadiens said:

I spent money on lessons last year, tried really hard to follow direction and now I can't hit a driver past my own shadow. Maybe its my fault it didn't work out.

Maybe or maybe not. What did the instructor have you working on?

Share this comment


Link to comment
12 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Maybe or maybe not. What did the instructor have you working on?

He had me bring the ball back on my front heel in my driver setup, square my back foot to the line and actively try to rotate my right arm over as I swung through the ball.

It all sounded reasonable enough, but the results basically turned my two-way miss into a four-way miss. I already had the pull-slice down. Now I have a snap-hook and a top to go with it.

 

Edited by mcanadiens

Share this comment


Link to comment
22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

It all sounded reasonable enough, but the results basically turned my two-way miss into a four-way miss. I already had the pull-slice down. Now I have a snap-hook and a top to go with it.

Too late to do anything about it now. I always try to NOT work on swing changes until after tournament season. 
 

Regardless, this is where I would say, good instruction matters more than ever. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
34 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

actively try to rotate my right arm

Oy.

You likely got bad instruction.

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 minute ago, iacas said:

Oy.

You likely got bad instruction.

I'll admit to some misgivings when I heard him talk about. ... Sort of figured the idea was to fight the slice, but adding a timing element to my swing sounded dangerous. And so now the snap hook.

Share this comment


Link to comment
23 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I'll admit to some misgivings when I heard him talk about. ... Sort of figured the idea was to fight the slice, but adding a timing element to my swing sounded dangerous. And so now the snap hook.

I wish I could point you to a good local instructor, but I don't know of any.

Share this comment


Link to comment
56 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I wish I could point you to a good local instructor, but I don't know of any.

Definitely feeling bitten.

Maybe going the video route is the best idea for the time being. If that link @klineka has there is a sufficient product that wouldn't be too costly away to kick the tires with it. --- Actually just placed the order for it.

By sometime next week I'll be able to disgrace the internet with motion pictures of my hack.

Edited by mcanadiens

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Definitely feeling bitten.

Maybe going the video route is the best idea for the time being. If that link @klineka has there is a sufficient product that wouldn't be too costly away to kick the tires with it. --- Actually just placed the order for it.

By sometime next week I'll be able to disgrace the internet with motion pictures of my hack.

Heck. I would be willing to meet you at the range and take some video. Kittyhawk would have been convenient, but... We could always meet in Beavercreek, or if you like ice cream, Young's driving range is decent. Let me know. I could actually stand to update my swing video.

Share this comment


Link to comment
10 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Heck. I would be willing to meet you at the range and take some video. Kittyhawk would have been convenient, but... We could always meet in Beavercreek, or if you like ice cream, Young's driving range is decent. Let me know. I could actually stand to update my swing video.

Sounds good.

It'll be a bit. Giving the clubs the swerve for the next week. 

Camera should come in Sunday so we can do something the weekend after.

Ice cream sounds good. Haven't had any in a while.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...