iacas

USGA/R&A Announce Return to 2018 Rules Effective May 1

21 posts / 2870 viewsLast Reply

Hrm.

The USGA/R&A announced today that they were reverting to the 2018 Rules of Golf, save for a few, effectively May 1. The Rules that remain:

• Penalty areas may still include non-water hazards.
  • The terminology will remain. Ties, penalty areas, general area, etc.
  • Replacing a ball that moves for any reason after being marked will be replaced.
  • Players may take an unplayable out of a bunker for two strokes, back on a line.
  • Players may substitute a ball when they're taking relief.

Suffice to say this is a massive setback in terms of promoting the "modernized" Rules of Golf. 😞

PGA Tour Whiny Babies: 1, USGA/R&A: 0. Of course… April Fool's Day, goofballs!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 minute ago, Grass Destruction said:

Hmmm - Funny coincidence this info comes out on April Fool's Day or just my suspicious nature? Source for this @iacas?

Call your local golf association. They'll confirmthat this is just an April Fool's thing.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Call your local golf association. They'll confirmthat this is just an April Fool's thing.

Crap! I was hoping it was an April Fool's thing. :-( I was enjoying being able to leave the flagstick in! 

... but I like dropping from knee height ... :-\

can I just drop it over my back, as long as it's from shoulder height?

Edited by Missouri Swede

The R&A have said they will continue with new rules in Scotland but not in the ROW.

Just now, Rulesman said:

The R&A have said they will continue with new rules in Scotland but not in the ROW.

Brexit!

4 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Ha-ha.  I wonder what day this is?  :smartass:

Yeah, well, I hid some text in the two posts I made. But @DeadMan had to spoil it, so… 😛

1 hour ago, iacas said:

PGA Tour Whiny Babies: 1, USGA/R&A: 0. <span style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255, 0.1);">Of course… April Fool's Day, goofballs!</span>

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Call your local golf association. They'll confirm <span style="color: rgb(255,255,255,0.1);">that this is just an April Fool's thing.</span>

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, well, I hid some text in the two posts I made. But @DeadMan had to spoil it, so… 😛

Hahaha I was over on twitter composing @usga a piece of my mind when I realized.

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ha, that's strange, because I saw that "hidden" text when I read it the first time. Without doing anything special. It showed up as regular text.

Edited by DeadMan

They also finally addressed the issue of distance by requiring Pros and amateurs of 2.4 or lower to use persimmon clubs and balls made in the 1980s.

13 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Ha, that's strange, because I saw that "hidden" text when I read it the first time. Without doing anything special. It showed up as regular text.

That's true only if you saw it in the 45 seconds where I'd forgotten that rgb() takes values from 1-255 instead of 0.0 to 1.0. Thus for about 45 seconds it was basically 10% opaque black, which was just dark enough to show up, instead of 10% white, which isn't very visible.