IGNORED

Worst Weather You've Played Golf In?

cartertheraptor
Note: This thread is 1799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:23 AM, DaveP043 said:

I may have been there the same week.  My first trip to Ireland was in 2004, and two hurricanes had just come up the East Coast of the US.  Of course the storm systems follow the Gulf Stream across the north Atlantic, and were battering the west coast of Ireland.  We played all week in wind and rain.  Rain wasn't every minute, we did see the sun once or twice, but we had wind every day.  When it DID rain, it was coming sideways.  When we played at Dooks, we were told that the wind gusts were clocked up to 60 mph up the coast at Ballybunion.  If we hadn't prepaid for all our golf, I'm sure we'd have passed on playing a few of the days.  As it was, we survived, and had great stories to tell when we got home.  

Was traveling thru weekend..So excuse delay. The day we played Dooks was 9/1/2000. It was the most insane weather I have ever played...And I have played in some doozies. And yea we were prepaid but when you go to play so far away....And the course is open...and others are out there playing...Well, My waist line can't handle all day at the pub...Ha

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:34 AM, Cantankerish said:

I played at Innsbruck in NE Georgia this one time and may have been the only dummy on the course.  It was soaked with considerable wind.  The course is gorgeous, but I could not really appreciate it much on that ugly day.

In fact, I don't know how anyone can enjoy a round in wet conditions.  Did any of you guys actually enjoy the awful conditions you are posting about?

Perhaps it's days like that one when the pros have to earn their stripes.  Does the bit about a bad day golfing being better than a good day at work apply when it is your job?

Enjoy it? No. Only endured with Jamison

• Like 1

It was just after the Great Famine...1320 or so.  I don't recall the exact date but exact dates were not as popular back then and we were less likely to pay attention.  I do recall it was bloody cold.  We went in for woolens, in those days, and wind-cheating garments had yet to achieve the popularity they so well deserve.  Old Stubby perished on the 16th...after executing a particularly efficacious extraction, with a track iron, on the previous hole.  Old Nobby, who was a year younger than Old Stubby, suggested that we remove Stubby's corpse from the immediate field of play, complete the round, and address the particulars of our friends demise in the more convivial atmosphere of the gentlemen's bar.  That met with hearty, and universal approval.  It was, as stated previously, bloody cold.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played in sleet, snow, so cold the greens were frozen, and raining so hard there was standing water on the greens. Last October, I had a heart attack ( everything is good, now), and I'll be on blood thinners for at least a year. Because of that, the cold really bothers me, so my days of playing in bad weather are over.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:25 AM, cartertheraptor said:

Yesterday I played in 25 mph winds and was awful. 

Also known as "half the days of the year in West Texas." ;-)

59 minutes ago, LMoore said:

Enjoy it? No. Only endured with Jamison

Can endure just about anything with Jameson's, lad. 

First day of two-day tournament:  Wind at 38-40 constant, gusts to over 60 mph, sand blowing from nearby fields so hard we got sandburns.  Really.

Second day, starting with temps in the low 30s, a kind of snow-sleet mix falling in chunks, so hard that if you had a short iron in your hand, you had to wipe the ice off it and hit the shot quickly before it built up again.  We played two and a half holes before they called it.  (Won it, thank God.)

I've played in all the above, including baking heat where it seemed like the sun was trying to smash you into the ground! One advantage to playing a course when all the water hazards are frozen over is that you don't have to worry about them! I actually had one approach shot bounce off the ice onto the green, and offer me a nice birdie putt, which I missed! 

One question to the OP.  If the greens were frozen, why did the course allow you out there? I have a golf crazed buddy who, back in the day, made a "crack of dawn" tee time in late April at a local course. The prior day was clear and sunny and the night was crystal! The next morning everything was frosted up hard! We drove out to the course, and they wouldn't let anybody out until the frost melted! That's when one of our group told my buddy, "You know John, you're allowed to play golf in the middle of the day too!" 

• 2 weeks later...

Last week played during a tornado watch which proceeded to warning. Ball wouldn’t stay on the tee and the gusts would blow you out of your stance.  Other than that just your typical hard down pours, snow on the ground, or frozen grounds 

Hurricane irene.  

It was my batchelor party so we stuck it out for about 12 holes.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I’m not a cold weather golfer and probably never will be but I’ve played on two occasions with extreme weather.  When I was first starting out, my friends and I got a tee time on a beautiful private club in PA and as we finished the 2nd hole, it started to pour.  We waited about 15 minutes and it wasn’t letting up.  We played the rest of the front 9 in rain so hard, we couldn’t see the flag from the tee.  On the 2nd 9, it finally let up to a steady drizzle but we were already soaked.  After 10, my one friend pull out a bottle of Gatorade mixed with vodka.  Nastiest thing I’ve ever tasted but it made for entirely enjoyable round after getting soaked.  Luckily we were getting picked up after the round or we may not have made it home.  

The second extreme was on another buddy trip in S.C.  it was over 100 degrees as we started to tee off and no wind. It honestly felt like we were in an oven.  It was so hot that any sweat instantly dried and were were pouring water on ourselves between holes and drinking constantly.  The second 9 was along the ocean so at least there was a breeze and it may have been a few degrees cooler.  As we were getting to the 16th or 17th holes, the sand rash started to set in.  Every crevice in my body had gritty sand in it.  My underarms were getting raw and stung after every swing.  Nobody was drinking much alcohol at all or we may have passed out on the course.  Back at the condo most of us passed out and I sat in the shower under cold water for about 15 minutes, and I still had sand everywhere.

I'll admit to being a 'fair weather' golfer. I'm not going out there in rain or snow (not that there is much snow in Houston anyway). But cold and windy is fine. One of my favorite traditions was playing a local Par 3 with my two sons on the first sunny day of Christmas break. We had some freezing temps thru the years but we never failed to have fun. My boys are out in the world now with their own families and that Par 3 is gone but I have some great memories of those times.

I guess I should have answered the original question rather than wax philosophical....

I was a Special Olympics golf partner for several years. One tournament held in College Station came after several days of torrential rain. and the course was VERY waterlogged. Playing with wet, cold feet and hitting out of muddy fairways was pretty miserable.

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

• 4 weeks later...

It’s a tie for me and unfortunately both cases were on the same trip to Ireland. Played Ballybunion in what they had the nerve to call a tropical storm in August 2017. It was cold with sideways rain and wind gusts that were ridiculous. You’d hit your ball and the wind seemed to take the ball out to sea no matter where you were on the course. The other was 2 days later at Old Head. There was so much fog it was like a white walker scene out of Game of Thrones. Could not see 10 feet in front of us and the group behind us kept hitting up on us because they couldn’t see us. Ended up only playing about 13 holes at Ballybunion and about 7 holes at Old Head since they were simply unplayable.

Note: This thread is 1799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!