IGNORED

What Ball Do You Hit, and Why?

Note: This thread is 1696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have an assortment of different brands that I am working through right now. If I had to choose a favorite right now it would be the yellow Srixon Soft Feel. I also like the Snell Get Sum. I am all about the $21.00 and under ball. At least until I start playing much better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Vitamin M, or rather a lack of it, has led to me playing used golf balls.  Whatever the caddies sell me at the club.  Bulk packets of 10 to 25 balls cost around $0.30 a ball.  Sometimes wind up with decent tour balls as well.  Given a choice would play the Titleist NXT though.  Like mid range balls the best, even more than the Pro V / tour ball range.  The tour balls have too much spin for me, especially side spin off longer clubs

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I have been playing with the Vice Drive balls all weekend. And I must say that for a 2-piece Surlyn ball it is just fine for my game. At some point I may try their other balls, but at under $20/dz it’s a no brainer. I don’t lose any distance off the tee and it feels great coming off the clubhead. And if I rinse a few it doesn’t bother me too much.

Edited by tehuti
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Used Pro V1x! Shredding the greens for half the cost!

• Thumbs Up 1

Titleist 681 TT DG X100: 2 (2° weak) 4-9

Some Vokey SM wedges: 49°, 55°, 59° (bent 1°)

Callaway XR Pro 1w+3w/Titleist 975D

Srixon Soft because:

I'm a high handicapper, slow swing speed, cheap.

• Thumbs Up 2

My old but trusty bag is filled with clubs I built...Integra SoooLong 450 10.5°, Jackaroo II 13* 16* 23*  hybrids, Dynacraft irons and wedges...plus a sweet Tad Moore Peach putter.

Please check out my sports card/memorabilia blog: The Five Tool Collector

• iacas changed the title to What Ball Do You Hit, and Why?

I play either the Snell Black (MTB) or the Taylor Made TP5X. Both good balls but I found some TP5X balls for 30.00 per dozen so I stocked up. They go further off the tee than the Snell and they spin a little better (for me).

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I seem to bounce between the Pro V1x and Pro V1, I think the x is better since it's suppose to have less spin, but I honestly can't tell the difference between them.  Something I want to figure out so I can stick to one.

The reason I have played these over the past few years is that my aunt and uncle send me a care package of about 100 balls every year they pick up around their house or where they walk around a course a couple times a day.  They send me all the Titleist balls and the rest to my uncle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gus
---------------

More recently, they've flipped the characteristics of the Pro V1 and V1x.  Now, the x has more spin off of iron shots (supposedly). Off the tee they are very similar in performance. The x still has a "click"-ier feel to me.

I've been playing Titleist forever, so it's Pro V1 for me (used to be x when it was lower-spin across the board).  

I do like the Chrome Soft but can't get used to seeing anything but that familiar Titleist logo over the ball.  And the duller finish (it's not as white).

• Thumbs Up 1

I've worked my way to the ProV's and am staying with them.  I like the feel when hitting and putting.  They seem pretty consistent

And I find so many of them (in pristine condition) that I'll never run out or pay for a ball.  I'd like to thank the rich guys at the beginning of the season that lose so many in their first few rounds.  I'm in one round this year and likely good through June now.

When it's super cold, I shift to Chrome Softs...

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill - 

I play the Titleist ProV1.  It's one of the longest balls out there but that's not why I use it.  I use it for the way it feels on my putter face. It feels like I can put a good roll on it.  It just happens to bite with irons and drives well. I am a short hitter and a 5 HDCP age 63.

• Thumbs Up 1

I play year round and play the Callaway Super Soft in the cold months and switch to the Callaway Chrome Soft for more spin in the warmer weather in order to help hold the greens and more spin around the greens. I also like the Callaway  Truvis yellow/black white/red balls. The Super Soft is softer with a lower compression feels good on cold days and seems to get a little more distance that the higher compression balls. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just bought a dozen Vice Pro Plus to try. Always played Pro V1x but who the f wants to spend much that on balls. The Vice feels great so far, although it seems to get damaged quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1

:whistle:

I hit my ball because I don't want a 2-stroke penalty 😜

Snell MTB Black. It plays like a Pro V1x, but cheaper.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Titleist DT Trusoft for me. Fairly priced at around $20-$22 a dozen or so. Hit them plenty long enough and the soft feel is great for around the greens and putting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I've been using the Maxfli   SoftFli for a few years and love them!!!  last year i played a few rounds with the Speedfli which was eye opening, because it was about 1 1/2 clubs longer for me....    both balls i can basically 1 hop n stop on the green which is good for me!!    because i just aim for the flag stick when needed and don't have to worry about spinning the ball off the green...      i still have some other Maxfli's   U/3's  U/6 softs....  i will say when i am really hitting the ball good the U/6 soft is amazing!!    

• Thumbs Up 1

It is what it is

I always wonder why I don’t hear as much about the maxfli softfli, they have been the most consistent ball for me. I’ve hit prov’s, Wilson and Bridgestone, I hit it farther, and it stops on the green better for me, I have a slower swing speed so it may be better for me because of that. I seem to play better with lower compression balls. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want a really good deal go to Walmart and get a box of Titleist X-Outs. I just got 2 dozen DT trusoft X outs for 11.88 a box. Literally they are DT Trusofts that cost $22 a dozen with minor imperfections that you will never notice!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Note: This thread is 1696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!