phedrick

What Ball Do You Hit, and Why?

76 posts / 13761 viewsLast Reply

When I first started playing, I jumped all around on the ball that I hit.  Form the least expensive, to what I felt as the right ball for me.  Currently I am hitting the Titleist Velocity, which I buy from online used ball vendors.  When you buy in quantity,  they are really not too badly priced.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Snell - My Tour Ball

It performs just as well as a ProV. The feel is nearly identical. The ball costs about $28/dozen when you buy in bulk from their website. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Used to play pro v1x but switched to Taylormade (Tourpreferred X then to TP5x) about 3 years ago.

Bridgestone e7 ball for me. Just the best all around ball I could find for my game. Good distance, great around, and on the greens. 

Another big plus is that this ball is always readily available at just about any big box store for under $26 a dozen. Wal-Mart had them for $22.00 a dozen last I saw. 

Also, Target Stores runs clearance sales around the first of evey year. I purchased 10 dozen for $80.00 plus tax last January. This yearly clearance sale covers everything in their stores. 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS

A little longer off the tee than a ProV1 for me and still nice and spinny around the green.

I use Vice Pro Soft, currently. They seem to fly well and chip well for me. And they're relatively inexpensive - which with my handicap is a good thing...

Yellow golf balls.  NXT Tour S for a long time.  Nike RZN when they were out.  Bridgestone last couple of years.  Might try the AVX.

Titleist Pro V1. Great feel off the face, beautiful sound when struck, and it holds greens like no other on approach shots. I'm just a mid handicapper but I only lose one ball per round on average, so I can afford Pro V1.

I just keep changing-- purchased 50x Bridgestone E6 but having issues on the greens / chipping not as good distance etc so might sell off what I've got left ... played with an old Callaway hex blue today to score my best round ever so might go buy 50x hex blacks ..ProV1 is nice but have yet to really play a good round with them not sure why .. hard to pass up any of the top end balls 

Lot of good balls out there. Tried them all.  I play the ProV1 because there is no doubt if I do what I’m supposed to, the ball will not be the issue, and I’m probably a ball snob. (Kinda hurt admitting that)

However, an earlier post said they played Snell MTB. That is the one ball that feels exactly like the ProV1.

When I was still playing for a living(long long ago) Titleist had a ball named Acushnet Pro Traj 100. Really liked that one. The new Titleist AVX plays almost exactly the same as that old ball for me.  Been playing them for a year now. 

On 4/7/2019 at 12:02 AM, LMoore said:

Lot of good balls out there. Tried them all.  I play the ProV1 because there is no doubt if I do what I’m supposed to, the ball will not be the issue, and I’m probably a ball snob. (Kinda hurt admitting that)

However, an earlier post said they played Snell MTB. That is the one ball that feels exactly like the ProV1.

I'm another Snell player, I like the MTB Black.  As @saevel25 said, its close enough to the ProV1 that I can't tell a difference, except when its time to pay.  If I can spend $20 LESS per dozen, and get virtually identical performance, that's what I'm going to do.

I used to play lakeballs, but I changed to new balls.
After searching I found PearlGolf. Affordable and good quality!

Little ball first, big ball next! If I hit the big ball first the little ball just rolls on the ground! Sorry! Just in a goofy mood this morning as the snow hit us again and a chance of golfing won't be possible for a few days!!!!!!!

I'm currently working my way thru a big box of Precept Laddies.  They are a little on the soft side but I like them well enough.  Next purchase I'm going back to TaylorMade.  My traditional/default flight trajectory (high, left, and into the woods) benefits greatly from a ball with less spin.

The Wilson Ultra yellow. Longer off the tee than any ball I have ever used and reduces side spin for me so more balls in the fairway. 

I usually use the cheapest bundle of branded lost balls I can find, otherwise I use whichever Titleist I have received as a gift.

The balls in the photo are all gifts and I have kept them for the days when my handicap will be low enough to benefit from their quality.
Today I realized that one has the year 2013 on the package - do golf balls have an expiration date? I have kept them at cool room temperatures, boxed in a shelf all this time.

nave_golf_balls.thumb.jpg.c778f21d6fb39ab1a39f5ead5f3985e8.jpg