IGNORED

Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
So if I hit 5.6% GIR, it sorts it in the 50% range. All the columns appear to do this.

It seems to be just the percentage columns, but yeah, something's goofy there. We'll fix that, likely in 1.4.4.

As a gentle reminder, please don't file bugs here. They might get missed. I caught this one, but please use the support@ email address or the Cynical Peak forums .
I think golfers would find sorting by course rating, slope rating and yardage more useful.

Why? That's not a "stat" - so I'm fairly certain we're unlikely to include that sort of feature. Ideally, your index should be roughly the same if the courses are properly rated and you play approximately to your handicap.

So I could see sorting by handicap index, but course yardage? I dunno. We're limited for space there and I doubt many people would sort by that or even show it.
2) I'd like to name my own round types rather than the listed defaults. I can understand though if that doesn't happen.

What would you add? What kind of round types do you have that aren't listed?

This one may go under the category of too much information or it's not an official PGA stat or programming it would be too consuming but I'm throwing it out here anyways. Since those that already hit a fair number of GIR's have to mark it I don't think it's any more work on the course to list whether I am long/short, left or right of greens I miss. If there is any way of eventually getting that feature in Scorecard I think it would be helpful.

I've rejected putting this stat in and will continue to do so for a few reasons. First off, we have to streamline the stats we ask of people. If it takes 10 minutes to enter your stats and extra time on the course to write them down, people are less likely to use (and benefit from) the software.

Second: there's a bit difference between missing a front-right pin long and left and missing it short and right. Ditto the opposite, or missing greens left and right when the pins are let and right, etc. We can't really keep track of all of that, and I don't see much value in saying "you miss the green long and left 52.1% of the time." If you tend to hook the ball and thin it long and left, you probably know that already. And I could tell you right now: most golfers would find that they miss the green short. That's part of my final reason, too: you're probably already aware of your tendencies to miss greens. Heck, no offense, but _I'm_ probably aware of your general misses: short. I'm putting together the feature list for 2.0 right now, and I hope you don't take the above as me saying anything bad about your ideas. Ideally we'd love to pack in features, but we have to maintain a good balance. Right now, 2.0 will only really add nine-hole scoring, a per-hole note system if people want to use it, and more to do with online storage of your rounds as well as comparisons of your stats with those of other users. And graphing, which you know already. Feel free to send me an email if you feel strongly about any of the above - I will listen, and if you can make a compelling case, I can change my mind. It'll be tough for you, though, as we've thought about some of those things for awhile now. P.S. Another reason not to include the "where do you miss the greens" type stat is that even if the pin was in the center of every green, some locations are easier to get up and down from than others. If there's water short, you're better missing long, obviously. If there's trouble right, you're better missing left. Yet a stat that tells you "you miss the green left 12.4% of the time" can't possibly factor into the equation where the trouble is. Then we're into the realm of trying to statistic-ize "did you miss the green in a good spot?"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Iacas, how do you record a fairway missed long? Straight, well struck shot that rolls out just into the rough before a creek or before a patch of rough?

I have one hole like that, and I mark it as a fairway hit. The course has talked about mowing it into fairway for a year now. They're rare enough I don't think we're going to add a "fairway long" hit.

How would you mark a fairway missed short is the same question. The few times I've done that, I just mark left or right depending on which side I'm on more.
Also, how would I record a fairway hit AFTER my first tee shot was plunked into the water? I reloaded, hit the fairway, hit the green, and two putted. But took a six due to stroke and distance.

Where's the water, though? Through the end of the fairway straight off the tee? I'd mark that the same way I mark fairways missed short: left or right.

If the one hole I mentioned above that has rough dividing two parts of fairway had a hazard in it, I'd do that. It's just a strip of rough, though, so that's why I chose to mark it as a fairway hit. And I still think they should just mow it into fairway. No idea why they haven't - it's right in the 3W/driver range, and driver's not a smart play on that hole if you spray it at all. http://www.whisperingwoodsgc.com/hole-8.htm

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Where's the water, though? Through the end of the fairway straight off the tee? I'd mark that the same way I mark fairways missed short: left or right. If the one hole I mentioned above that has rough dividing two parts of fairway had a hazard in it, I'd do that. It's just a strip of rough, though, so that's why I chose to mark it as a fairway hit. And I still think they should just mow it into fairway. No idea why they haven't - it's right in the 3W/driver range, and driver's not a smart play on that hole if you spray it at all.

The water is right in front of you. Plateaued tee, have to carry about 120-170 yards (depending on where on the dog leg right you want to land it. I plunked my first about 50 yards straight down. The second was a good drive, dead center, 130ish to the green.

And the first situation I mentioned is somewhat like the photo you posted. There's 270 to carry a stream, before that is a strip of rough, and before that, fairway. I'm not carrying the stream, so a 3 wood went about 7 yards too far, otherwise it was right center. Thanks for the response.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

What's the latest on a release date for the iPod app?? Can't wait!

In my bag:

Callaway X460 10 deg driver
Taylor Made Burner 15 deg 3 wood
MD Golf 21 deg Blackhawk RescueTaylorMade RAC OverSize irons 3-SWPing i-Series Anser putter(All LH!)

• Administrator
What's the latest on a release date for the iPod app?? Can't wait!

When it's ready? :) We won't release a date because, frankly, we don't know what it'll take.

fair enough!

In my bag:

MD Golf 21 deg Blackhawk RescueTaylorMade RAC OverSize irons 3-SWPing i-Series Anser putter(All LH!)

scorecard for ipod wow cant wait for that

i couldent edit my post i wanted to add, will it be for regualr ipods like ipod video or will it be itouch and iphone

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

iphone hopefully....

In my bag:

Just perusing the apps available for golfers with iPhones. Looks like the scorecard boys will have to get a move on before the market is saturated. TeeShot in particular looks like a very good app.

Hope they do get it up and running soon though as I really like scorecard.

In my bag:

• Administrator
Just perusing the apps available for golfers with iPhones. Looks like the scorecard boys will have to get a move on before the market is saturated. TeeShot in particular looks like a very good app.

We're not creating a new app, nor are we creating "Scorecard for the iPhone." The app we're writing for the iPhone (and iPod Touch) is simply going to allow you to keep your scorecard on the course, and then it will sync ("import") your round into the desktop application.

We're not creating a new app, nor are we creating "Scorecard for the iPhone." The app we're writing for the iPhone (and iPod Touch) is simply going to allow you to keep your scorecard on the course, and then it will sync ("import") your round into the desktop application.

Ooh I do apologise!

Look forward to you getting it done.

In my bag:

• Administrator
Ooh I do apologise!

No apology necessary - was just clarifying that we're not building an entirely separate product, nor one that will keep all your stats on your phone. That may (and I stress "may") happen some day from us, but it won't in its 1.0 type release. The 1.0 is mainly for people who will want to enter their stats onto their phone rather than on a paper scorecard.

No apology necessary - was just clarifying that we're not building an entirely separate product, nor one that will keep all your stats on your phone. That may (and I stress "may") happen some day from us, but it won't in its 1.0 type release. The 1.0 is mainly for people who will want to enter their stats onto their phone rather than on a paper scorecard.

Yeah, that is totally what i'm looking for too. Good luck with it :)

In my bag:

• Administrator
Does scorecard keep track of and combine nine hole rounds?

Not right now, nope.

Cool that you made an iphone/ipod touch version...any chance there will be a windows mobile version?

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• Administrator
Cool that you made an iphone/ipod touch version...any chance there will be a windows mobile version?

Absolutely none.

Just curious, how do you mark in Scorecard for a drive that goes dead straight up the fairway, but lands in a bunker in the middle of the fairway?

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

Note: This thread is 1995 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!