IGNORED

Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For anyone using (Mac) Scorecard's web export: how are you automatically uploading to your web server? I've been trying to get a launchd agent to watch the folder and run rsync without success. For now I'm just running rsync every 10 minutes with cron, but there must surely be a better way.

iacas, how do you do it?
In the bag: Titleist 909D2 9.5°, 906F2 15°, 585H 17°, AP2 710 3âPW, Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.12, Studio Select Newport 33", Pro V1X.
Home course: Lenzie Golf Club. Working on: ball striking.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
For anyone using (Mac) Scorecard's web export: how are you automatically uploading to your web server? I've been trying to get a launchd agent to watch the folder and run rsync without success. For now I'm just running rsync every 10 minutes with cron, but there must surely be a better way.

rsync at night, but I built an alias to "scupd" on the CLI (which is always open) to push the update manually if I want.

You could do something with folder actions to watch the folder, but I never felt like bothering with that. Though, now that I say it, I may do it just because it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use grsync to manually run an rsync after each addition. It'd work a little more smoothly if the Mac grsync port didn't hang up and require a force quit after each run... I don't know anything about the folder actions, but that sounds like the ideal approach.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I've just tried Folder Actions, and it doesn't seem to work reliably---only works when you're exporting new rounds, doesn't run if you re-export to fix a typo or add notes. I'll stick to cron, I guess. No big deal!
In the bag: Titleist 909D2 9.5°, 906F2 15°, 585H 17°, AP2 710 3âPW, Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.12, Studio Select Newport 33", Pro V1X.

• Administrator
Looking to purchase this and without going through 45 pages of posts, can this program support multiple golfers data? Thanks.

No. You should download the demo and try it out. Our licensing is per user, with multiple computers supported. If you want to support multiple users on the same machine, use your machine's multi-user setup and buy each a license.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
I think I saw this covered before, and I'm pretty sure the answer was that it's not likely to happen... but personally I would love a mobile version of Scorecard for BlackBerry.

I am pretty much at the end of my free demo and really enjoying it. Just because I'm a stat freak, I wish there was slightly more you could do with it, but regardless it really looks like it's going to be a useful tool.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I think I saw this covered before, and I'm pretty sure the answer was that it's not likely to happen... but personally I would love a mobile version of Scorecard for BlackBerry.

I won't speak for the developers but, from what I've read and understand, that's not going to happen. Get an iPhone, it will work with Scorecard and it's a far better device anyway.

I am pretty much at the end of my free demo and really enjoying it. Just because I'm a stat freak, I wish there was slightly more you could do with it, but regardless it really looks like it's going to be a useful tool.

Do you know a bit of SQL? The Scorecard storage engine is just a SQLite DB. You can gather whatever statistics you want with a few SQL statements.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

• Administrator
Do you know a bit of SQL? The Scorecard storage engine is just a SQLite DB. You can gather whatever statistics you want with a few SQL statements.

Plus, what more stats do you really want? We expose just about as many as we can... if you know of a calculated stat we could expose that we're not, tell us and we'll probably include it.

Plus, what more stats do you really want? We expose just about as many as we can... if you know of a calculated stat we could expose that we're not, tell us and we'll probably include it.

Standard deviation under "Scoring" on the "Statistics" page. Perhaps a means to figure this for fairways and greens hit as well (although, this looks like it would be more difficult). One of my personal goals this year is to improve my consistency, standard deviation is a good means to measure "consistency."

On another note, what is the "Low/High Eclectic"? Perhaps I don't have enough rounds entered, mine currently reads "-" across the board.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

• Administrator
Standard deviation under "Scoring" on the "Statistics" page. Perhaps a means to figure this for fairways and greens hit as well (although, this looks like it would be more difficult). One of my personal goals this year is to improve my consistency, standard deviation is a good means to measure "consistency."

The graphs can show that pretty well. If we start getting into hard-core actual statistics, we lose and confuse people.

On another note, what is the "Low/High Eclectic"? Perhaps I don't have enough rounds entered, mine currently reads "-" across the board.

Well, "RTFM" without the attitude of the "F." To quote the manual:

Source: Scorecard Manual Low/High Eclectic - The best and worst possible scores from any selected course over a given block of rounds. For example, if youʼve birdied every hole over your last 20 rounds on a par 72 course, your low eclectic would be 54. If you double-bogeyed every hole at one point or another over your last 20 rounds, your high eclectic in that block would be a whopping 108!

Yeah, the graphs aren't bad but it's hard to set goals based on a graph if you know what I mean. I would like to see a number for stddev at least in the scoring section. I don't think that stddev would be any more confusing than eclectic, at least not if only included in the scoring section. After all, as you pointed out, the manual describes these statistics very clearly. Quite honestly, stddev is the only thing that I really miss from my old software since switching to Scorecard and, since you asked earlier...

Personally, I think stddev is a very valuable statistic once it's understood (even a basic understanding is enough). When I was a kid and computed league scores at my local course, one of the first stats I started reporting was stddev. After a few initial questions about what a stddev was, the majority of the members began to place quite a bit of value on that stat. It's an easy way to see, at a glance, how consistent you (or your teammates) are. IE: who can be counted on in league playoffs and other tough spots?

Alright, I rest my case for stddev.

Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue what that is.

I guess the "stats" that I wish I could track via Scorecard are more trends than anything. The information I'd be looking for is basically just to fine-tune or narrow down the existing stats, i.e. club choices and results with those club choices. For instance, how much more likely am I to hit the fairway with an iron or 3-wood than the driver, and then how does that relate to score/how much more likely am I to make a better score based on that club choice.

Another big area for me would be to narrow down accuracy and results on approach shots. For instance, what is my proximity to the hole/GIR from 40 yards and in, 40-60 yards, 60-80, so on and so forth. Doesn't necessarily even have to be that specific, going in 50 yard increments would still be pretty helpful probably. I know that's getting pretty specific and not exactly the goal of this program, but if I'm being honest, that's what I'm really looking for in stat-tracking software.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I think the trouble with measuring increasingly detailed stats like those you mentioned is that your sample size is too small to counter the noise. By the time you have enough data to usefully compare 2 iron vs 3 wood vs driver from the tee (probably dozens of rounds) you should have a feeling of which works best, and you'll probably have improved some aspect of your game during that time anyway.

I think the trouble with measuring increasingly detailed stats like those you mentioned is that your sample size is too small to counter the noise. By the time you have enough data to usefully compare 2 iron vs 3 wood vs driver from the tee (probably dozens of rounds) you should have a feeling of which works best, and you'll probably have improved some aspect of your game during that time anyway.

Maybe so, but for me that's part of the problem. My feeling and the actual results don't always match up. Like when I'm playing, I try not to keep track of any stats during the actual round, I'll just remember them later when I plug them into the round... so my feeling of how I'm doing is just that, a feeling. For instance, without Scorecard, I wouldn't have known that during my last round I hit a dismal 22% of fairways, because I felt like I was hitting the ball solid and I was still hitting a lot of greens and scoring OK.

I'm looking at it more from the standpoint of knowing exactly where I need to focus most of my practice. It would be a much easier decision when designing my practice regimen if I knew that I'm losing 1 or 2 strokes per round on 50 yard pitches and not on sand saves like I might think, or whatever the case may be, instead of just saying I need to work on short game/getting up and down.

• Administrator

That, and in addition, that's not software you can sell commercially, because the numbers would be different for EVERYONE. What they'd want to measure would be different.

Since you want SO MANY (not the guy I quoted, that is) statistics, Scorecard + an Excel spreadsheet that tracks the specific little things you want to track sounds like a winning combo. Let Scorecard guide you for the general trends - whether missing right or left hurts you more, how well you're putting, how close you're putting the average bunker shot, etc. - and use Excel for the specific stuff you want to track.

Since you want SO MANY (not the guy I quoted, that is) statistics, Scorecard + an Excel spreadsheet that tracks the specific little things you want to track sounds like a winning combo. Let Scorecard guide you for the general trends - whether missing right or left hurts you more, how well you're putting, how close you're putting the average bunker shot, etc. - and use Excel for the specific stuff you want to track.

Any existing spreadsheets you know of that would be appropriate? Or would you suggest just starting from scratch and tailoring it? In any case, thanks for the tip!

• Administrator
Any existing spreadsheets you know of that would be appropriate? Or would you suggest just starting from scratch and tailoring it? In any case, thanks for the tip!

It's so tailored to whatever you want that you're going to have to build something, I think.

Note: This thread is 1991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!