IGNORED

Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is anybody able to import courses from a list instead of "mapping" all the courses yourself? Seems that this would be a nice feature, and save everyone time.

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anybody able to import courses from a list instead of "mapping" all the courses yourself? Seems that this would be a nice feature, and save everyone time.

I think this was consciously left out since the amount of effort to accurately and reliably enter that data in a central location is pretty large. It'd be nice, but e.g., on OOBGolf where they do have these in, it seems like there are errors pretty frequently.

One thing along these lines that would be nice would be the ability to enter course data via the iPod/iPhone app in case I forget to enter the data from home. I know I can just enter the hole scores and then change the course later, but just punching in the par for each hole at the start of the round would be helpful to keep track.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Yeah, if it was user driven it would be better than making the company input evrything.

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

• Administrator
Yeah, if it was user driven it would be better than making the company input evrything.

I think you misunderstood zeg: oobgolf uses user-input data, and it's riddled with errors. What if a course builds new tees? How would you resolve the errors?

We didn't deem this a necessary option largely because the vast majority of golfers play a relatively small number of golf courses frequently. I've had Scorecard for a number of years, play frequently, and still have less than 50 courses in my app. I'll often look them up online and enter them in a few days before I play them.
One thing along these lines that would be nice would be the ability to enter course data via the iPod/iPhone app in case I forget to enter the data from home. I know I can just enter the hole scores and then change the course later, but just punching in the par for each hole at the start of the round would be helpful to keep track.

What I do in those cases is write it on the scorecard. That way I have the card to enter later too. It takes two boxes and adds no time if you write it down when waiting for your partner or someone else to tee off or something.

Our iPhone app was built for two reasons. First, so we could learn a bit about iPhone development by building an app. Second, as advertising - people might see the app and look up our partner app. It's free and yet contains 95% as much code as the desktop version, and it just enters rounds - it doesn't do charts or graphs or stats or course entry. It wouldn't be free if we added some of those things. Unless I'm playing by myself, I don't use my iPhone for entering my round. I'd almost just as soon enter it manually as launch the app on the iPhone and sync. So I agree, it would be nice to enter a round as you go, but then again think of how much of a pain that would be to enter 18 holes with par, handicap, yardage... It'd be a lot more tedious on the phone than on your computer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Erik I have what's probably a dumb question. I downloaded the demo version and used it for the first time today - first, the program is great and I am def planning to purchase. Question is, for up and downs is the program designed to count those for any scoring opportunity or only for par opportunities? In other words, if I get on the green in 6, and make the putt for a 7, do I count that as an up and down? thanks,

Erik I have what's probably a dumb question. I downloaded the demo version and used it for the first time today - first, the program is great and I am def planning to purchase. Question is, for up and downs is the program designed to count those for any scoring opportunity or only for par opportunities? In other words, if I get on the green in 6, and make the putt for a 7, do I count that as an up and down? thanks,

I asked this question the other day and the answer is it is your choice what you want to count as an up and down. Eric said in his opinion he would not count it unless it is to save par

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

I asked this question the other day and the answer is it is your choice what you want to count as an up and down. Eric said in his opinion he would not count it unless it is to save par

That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks!

As a counter to that, I'm finding it more useful to mark U&D; failure/success every time I have a chip, pitch, or sand shot to a green, whether for par or triple-bogey. I can then track my "U&D; first putt average length" stat to track short game effectiveness.
In the bag: Titleist 909D2 9.5°, 906F2 15°, 585H 17°, AP2 710 3âPW, Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.12, Studio Select Newport 33", Pro V1X.
Home course: Lenzie Golf Club. Working on: ball striking.

Also, read through the manual if you haven't already. It's got a discussion of this question, and generally is more useful than a "how to operate the software" manual. It discusses a bit about "how to keep / use statistics" as well.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

As a counter to that, I'm finding it more useful to mark U&D; failure/success every time I have a chip, pitch, or sand shot to a green, whether for par or triple-bogey. I can then track my "U&D; first putt average length" stat to track short game effectiveness.

I tend to agree with this. Obviously, it's a personal preference, so my opinion has nothing to do with anything really. But I feel like I would get a better feeling for how much I need to work on my short game if I count Up & Down success or lack thereof on every attempt at getting up and down, like alisdair said, whether for par or any other score. I'd even use the U&D; marker for whether or not I get up and down for birdie when I go for the green on a par 4 or par 5 in two.

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

• Administrator
I tend to agree with this. Obviously, it's a personal preference, so my opinion has nothing to do with anything really. But I feel like I would get a better feeling for how much I need to work on my short game if I count Up & Down success or lack thereof on every attempt at getting up and down, like alisdair said, whether for par or any other score. I'd even use the U&D; marker for whether or not I get up and down for birdie when I go for the green on a par 4 or par 5 in two.

You've listed your handicap at 2.2. You're making your stats incomparable to anyone else's because you're not using "up and down" properly. If you get a birdie you probably got up and down... The ONLY people who should consider using "up and down" for something other than what an up and down truly is are those who don't break 90 with any regularity.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I thought about this further overnight and I'm going to track up and down regardless of score. I think it will benefit someone of my skill level.

You've listed your handicap at 2.2. You're making your stats incomparable to anyone else's because you're not using "up and down" properly. If you get a birdie you probably got up and down... The ONLY people who should consider using "up and down" for something other than what an up and down truly is are those who don't break 90 with any regularity.

What about the flipside? Say I hit a drive out of bounds on a par 4, I'm lying three in the fairway and miss the green with my fourth shot. If I get up and down to "save" my 6, in your opinion for this type of tracking system, do I count that as an up and down?

Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

• Administrator
What about the flipside? Say I hit a drive out of bounds on a par 4, I'm lying three in the fairway and miss the green with my fourth shot. If I get up and down to "save" my 6, in your opinion for this type of tracking system, do I count that as an up and down?

That's kind of up to you. The few times I've hit it OB like that (heh heh heh), I add two penalty strokes, mark a GIR if I hit a GIR or mark a sand save or up and down (or failed attempt) after that. The way I consider it, the penalty strokes (yes, it's technically just one stroke, but I do two strokes to cover both the shot and the penalty) take care of the bad swing.

And to be honest, I rarely come across a situation like this. I don't remember the last time I had to enter something like that. So regardless of what I do it's not going to have a noticeable affect on my scoring.

• 3 weeks later...
Just trying to decide whether to get Scorecard. Seems like a nice app. Question, can the iphone app sync with the windows version of the app? If so, how is it done?

I have a desktop mac and a PC laptop. would it be possible to have it installed in both places and data syncronized between them somehow? Is there any kind of online data storage available for this app?

There are numerous online stat packages, none seem as nice as this software, but on the other hand, I don't have to worry about the above questions.

Titliest AP2 712 irons 9-5, Rescue R9 (3,4, sometimes 5), R9 460 driver, R9 3W

Vokey Wedges 48,52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Fastback 1

Taylor Made Penta balls

Callaway rangefinder

• Administrator
Just trying to decide whether to get Scorecard. Seems like a nice app. Question, can the iphone app sync with the windows version of the app? If so, how is it done?

Yes. It'll sync with the demo, too. Give it a try.

You launch the application on both systems, and on the iPhone, choose "Sync." That's it. You may need to select your computer by name, but if it's the only one on the local network running Scorecard, it should be pre-selected for you, so you shouldn't even have to do that.
I have a desktop mac and a PC laptop. would it be possible to have it installed in both places and data syncronized between them somehow? Is there any kind of online data storage available for this app?

No, because there's no need to have it built in. I recommend

using Dropbox for synchronization like this. It works like a peach and it's exactly what I do to keep files synchronized. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM2MDg1Njk (My referral link - it just gets me added storage space, no kickbacks or anything.) And the license is per-user, so you're free to use it on two or twenty computers, so long as they're all for YOU, no problem.
There are numerous online stat packages, none seem as nice as this software, but on the other hand, I don't have to worry about the above questions.

I think that you'll find you don't need to worry about those questions either, given how the software works.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Erik,

One question: is there a way to make Scorecard calculate EGA Handicap?
I'm trying the demo and it seems that Scorecard only calculates USGA Handicap, is this correct?

Thanks,
Rui

In my MD Golf SureFire bag...

MD Golf SureFire complete set LOL

Note: This thread is 1996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!