IGNORED

Scorecard: Golf Statistics Software (Mac/Windows)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Erik, question/suggestion about Scorecard. So far I haven't been recording first putt distance just because I haven't felt like figuring out the distance each time, but with the new features coming in v1.4 I'm contemplating starting to do it. However, the problem I will have is my stats will be completely skewed because I will have a pretty good amount of rounds with an average of 0 for first putt distance because nothing has been entered. Is there anyway that you could make it so we could put an X (or something like that) so it wouldn't record anything it to the stats? That way I could start doing keeping track of it now, and not have my overall stats be skewed.

909 D2 9.5° Driver - Diamana Blue Board Stiff
F-60 3W - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
CLK FLI-HI 17°/20° Hybrids - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
MP-57 4-PW - True Temper Dynalite Gold Superlite S300
MP-T 54°/12° & 60°/8° - Rifle Spinner Bettinardi C-03 Putter Pro V1x

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
However, the problem I will have is my stats will be completely skewed because I will have a pretty good amount of rounds with an average of 0 for first putt distance because nothing has been entered.

That's a bummer. We've tried to keep the stats very quick and easy to enter. You only have to write five things down on the golf course, and they're all pretty easy. Any particular reason you didn't enter your stats? That concerns me as the software developer, obviously, because it's a goal of ours to make the software as inviting and easy to use as possible.

Yeah, the stats are gonna be skewed a bit, but mostly it'll be the "Total Distance Made" stat (you're gonna be well under 54 feet) and the putting accuracy from 0-3 feet. BTW, Version 1.4 has been released . Again, it's a free upgrade, so download it here: http://cynicalpeak.com/scorecard/ .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's a bummer. We've tried to keep the stats very quick and easy to enter. You only have to write five things down on the golf course, and they're all pretty easy. Any particular reason you didn't enter your stats? That concerns me as the software developer, obviously, because it's a goal of ours to make the software as inviting and easy to use as possible.

I don't use a scorecard during a round if I'm playing at a course I'm familiar with, so when I get home to enter the scores I just put my stats in by memory. For stuff like score, GIR, putts, etc. it's easy for me to remember, but to remember the distance of each putt on every hole would take too much concentration when I should be focusing on my game.

Don't worry though, this has nothing to do with Scorecard's ease of use of you as a developer. I guess I'll just have to start recording it on my scorecard if I want to remember.

Excellent update! I like the expanded putting stats and the bug in the Windows version that didn't allow making multiple rounds active or inactive for stat purposes is fixed. Now I won't have to go into each round and toggle it on/off at that level.

Regarding entering putting distance I almost made the mistake of not keeping track of that stat. After a bit of consideration I figured it could not be that hard. I use the flagstick as a reference while in the hole and gauge it to my height. I than mentally lay the flagstick down to get the distance. Note I don't actually lay it down and gauge. That's a violation of the rules as far as I am concerned (if it's not please correct me but show me where in the rules that it's legal!). Anything inside 10' I try to gauge to the foot rounding up to the nearest foot. Anything outside 10' I gauge to every 5' rounding up. So its 15,20,25,30 and so on. It seems to work well in that I get the stat without getting worked up trying to figure it out to the foot. The shot is what is important, not the stat. Plus keeping track of this helps me look harder at the _distance_ including slope so it is helping in other ways. Others may have their own methods but this is what works for me.

As far as the actual product I don't know what other types of stat trackers there are besides Scorecard. I have been keeping track of mine though Excel for five years and it's works fine on a simple level. With only a few rounds at a few courses you aren't going to get much out of Scorecard. It does probably what most other trackers do. Get a bunch of rounds in and you can start seeing general long and short term trends plus once you start getting in numerous rounds at certain courses you see your trends there not only course wise but hole by hole. I think that alone is worth finding out where you are gaining and losing strokes. It takes a bit of time to build that type of database but if you stick with it the numbers will be there. That's where I think the software is at it's strongest. I don't quite have that yet but in the next 6 months to a year I will.

• Administrator
... but to remember the distance of each putt on every hole would take too much concentration when I should be focusing on my game.

To be fair (and clear), it's just the distance of the

first putt, not every putt. And I just quickly jot it down on the way to the next tee - it doesn't take much concentration away from my game. You may want to give it a try. A lot of stats come from that one number.
Excellent update! I like the expanded putting stats and the bug in the Windows version that didn't allow making multiple rounds active or inactive for stat purposes is fixed. Now I won't have to go into each round and toggle it on/off at that level.

Thanks for noticing. Yeah, not many people reported that bug. Maybe it was you that did. Glad we could fix it. If you notice anything else, let us know.

Regarding entering putting distance I almost made the mistake of not keeping track of that stat. After a bit of consideration I figured it could not be that hard. I use the flagstick as a reference while in the hole and gauge it to my height. I than mentally lay the flagstick down to get the distance.

That's a good trick. Sometimes I'll mentally note the number of steps it takes me when I have to pull the flag or when I walk to the hole after hitting the putt. One step is about three feet.

And yeah, as I said above, it ties into a lot of stats, so keeping it is a good thing.
The shot is what is important, not the stat.

Right. I approximate, and I think it'd be awfully silly if someone worried whether a putt was 32 or 34 or whatever feet long. Estimate and move on. It'll be "good enough."

Thanks again.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Putting Accuracy by Distance stat (for the first putt) is a great update (although looking at my stats, perhaps not so great).

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

So when can we expect the iPhone version of the app? :)

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

And I just quickly jot it down on the way to the next tee - it doesn't take much concentration away from my game.

I understand it wouldn't be hard to keep track of if I used a scorecard, that's not what I'm saying. But for whatever reason I just don't like using a scorecard during my rounds, nothing more than that. For me to remember my first putt distance on every hole without using a scorecard would take too much concentration.

But anyways back to my original question, would it be possible for you to make it so you can put an X (or something like that) in a stat on our scorecards so it doesn't count towards our overall stats? This could also be useful in case you didn't finish a round (i.e. weather problems, time constraints, etc) but still wanted to put the round into Scorecard with your stats being completely accurate.

• Administrator
But anyways back to my original question, would it be possible for you to make it so you can put an X (or something like that) in a stat on our scorecards so it doesn't count towards our overall stats? This could also be useful in case you didn't finish a round (i.e. weather problems, time constraints, etc) but still wanted to put the round into Scorecard with your stats being completely accurate.

No, I don't think we'll ever do that. It adds complexity to the UI that most people won't need 99+% of the time.

For up and down and sand save, you can just choose not to mark the U or the S.

No, I don't think we'll ever do that. It adds complexity to the UI that most people won't need 99+% of the time.

Alright, thanks for the reply. GIR and putts would be the only ones affected because you have to put something in there, but I guess it's not a huge deal.

I just downloaded the software today and entered my first course and card.
I think this will end up being a really good purchase to help identify what I need to work on.

Driver TM Superquad 9.5 w/ V2 stiff
3 Wood Callaway Fusion 13 deg w/ DVS stiff
Hybrid Titleist 585H 19 deg. w/ VS Proto Hybrid 95 stiff
Irons Titleist 735CM 4-PW - Cleveland wedges 52,56,60 deg.
Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i

• 2 weeks later...
This program has definitely helped me figure out what to focus on more, when I practice. Keep up the good work

The only thing I would suggest, like others said is the 9 hole feature. I play at Moorpark a lot too, and I have all of them down as different tees. When I used Myscorecard, I would enter the 9 holes separately and it would combine them for me for the round. I also play 9 at twilight sometimes.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

A quick suggestion (I love the program, and am figuring out how to attach it to my signature ):

In the "Putting Accuracy by Distance" table, instead of having just the percentage of putts made from a certain distance range, can we have the average number of putts it takes to get down from a certain distance? Obviously, this wouldn't matter from, say, 7-10 feet, where I will (I hope) only 1- and 2-putt? From 31-50 feet, however, I really don't care what percentage of putts I make, because it's going to be very low. (Since no one takes many putts from the longest distance ranges anyway, it will take quite a while for the percentages to become statistically significant.) Instead, I would like to know that I average, for example, 2.7 putts from 31-50 feet, which would indicate that my lag putting sucks (and probably my short putting as well); the difference between 2% and 5% from 31-50 feet is basically meaningless.

Again, I love the program. Well done.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

• Administrator
In the "Putting Accuracy by Distance" table, instead of having just the percentage of putts made from a certain distance range, can we have the average number of putts it takes to get down from a certain distance? Obviously, this wouldn't matter from, say, 7-10 feet, where I will (I hope) only 1- and 2-putt? From 31-50 feet, however, I really don't care what percentage of putts I make, because it's going to be very low. (Since no one takes many putts from the longest distance ranges anyway, it will take quite a while for the percentages to become statistically significant.) Instead, I would like to know that I average, for example, 2.7 putts from 31-50 feet, which would indicate that my lag putting sucks (and probably my short putting as well); the difference between 2% and 5% from 31-50 feet is basically meaningless.

We might be able to work something like that in as, for example: 30% , 50%, 20% (one putts, two putts, three putts).

I'll have to see. I'm quite happy with the way it is now because I don't three putt very often, but that's me, and so it is always helpful to hear from others.

• Administrator
We might be able to work something like that in as, for example: 30% , 50%, 20% (one putts, two putts, three putts).

Turns out there are better ways: if we note one putts and 3+ putts, it's easy to deduce that everything else is a two-putt (and thus somewhat unremarkable).

So now we're looking at ways to show you one putts and three+ putts. We'd rather not duplicate an entire table just for that sort of thing, so we're looking at alternatives to show the information without taking up a bunch more space.

• Administrator
By the way, you can help out with 2.0 by giving your opinion in this thread about some of the kinds of graphs we should include in the update.

I have noticed on the main screen when sorting some of the various columns that numbers less than 10 and more than 100 get sorted weird. I think the sort is calculating based on the first number only. So if I hit 5.6% GIR, it sorts it in the 50% range. All the columns appear to do this.

2.0 wish list. I have already replied on the graphs in the other thread but here is what I would like to see in 2.0 or beyond.

1) Add course rating, slope rating and yardage columns to the course line on the main screen so filtering can be done on those like putts, UD's etc. Even if it means deleting some like putts, GIR's. I think golfers would find sorting by course rating, slope rating and yardage more useful. I can get around it now though by putting slope rating in the tees so instead of just White I put in 127 White. Others can put in course rating or yardage if they want. That's the one column users right now have some control over for setting up for sorting.

2) I'd like to name my own round types rather than the listed defaults. I can understand though if that doesn't happen.

3) This one may go under the category of too much information or it's not an official PGA stat or programming it would be too consuming but I'm throwing it out here anyways. Since those that already hit a fair number of GIR's have to mark it I don't think it's any more work on the course to list whether I am long/short, left or right of greens I miss. If there is any way of eventually getting that feature in Scorecard I think it would be helpful.

As it stands the software does just about everything that I would want. I can look at stats for any one or combination of courses. Some of my weaknesses I have known for years so it hasn't been a shock to see the stats in scorecard. The putts made (more like missed) by distance though wasn't something I kept track of so it has helped me focus on 1'-3' and 4'-6'.

Iacas, how do you record a fairway missed long? Straight, well struck shot that rolls out just into the rough before a creek or before a patch of rough? Also, how would I record a fairway hit AFTER my first tee shot was plunked into the water? I reloaded, hit the fairway, hit the green, and two putted. But took a six due to stroke and distance.

Just curious. Seems like a very good app.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

Note: This thread is 1997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!