IGNORED

Dream of Turning Pro

Golfer6969
Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Having spent my life crunching numbers actuarial stuff....I look at the reality of stuff...There are like 20.000 scratch golfers in the US. My son plays out of Little Mill in SNJ.  They won the team GAP [Golf Assoc Philly]in 2017. Very prestigious. All the clubs from Philly area out for 100 miles participate. My son is scratch to 1 handicap. In 2017 he played on A team. He now plays on their B team. He shot 69 last week on their B team. The teams are 12 players. Little Mill has 12 guys who are scratch or better. I have played with many of them. None of them hold any aspirations of tour play. At this juncture the tour pro player is cultivated from age 5 or 6 or sooner. They play right thru their childhood at tournaments. They play HS and College... Anyway, good luck with your endeavors. My stat view is your outcome of tour pro is more than 3 standard deviations from the mean. The outcome of club pro is possible. Prove us wrong. Just Do It.

2 hours ago, Golfer6969 said:

I’ll post updates for anyone who is ready to listen! Am about a fortnight in now and have been working hard for 6-7 hours every day and have seen some marked improvements and made some pretty significant swing changes. Main changes are driving accuracy and distance, as well as chilling proximity to the hole decreasing hugely due to a change in technique. I played 18 holes this morning at a course called Richings near Slough. It’s relatively tight in places, but measures only about 5.7k off the yellow tees (which I played as was with two high handicapper friends). The average par 4 was probably about 330-340 yards long, so Driver wedge. Off a 5 handicap I made 7 birdies and an eagle - my previous best birdies in a round was 5 and no eagles. I shot -3 with 3 lost balls off the tee (one of which I then birdied off the tee to make bogey). Whilst I appreciate its a short course, that’s a drastic improvement in a fortnight, and has given me huge motivation. I also played 9 holes later in the day at my home course which is about 6.3k yards and shot -2 through 9 holes. Maybe it was a freak day but I think it was a result of the hard grind at the start of my process. It’s a billion miles from tour standard, but it’s a big leap in two weeks... 

I’m 22 🤷🏻‍♂️

You do realize my response was to “Diece”?

But addressing your post, glad you are improving. However, even at 59, I usually play at 6700+ yards. On a mini tour, you will be at 7200 minimum, and expected to be under par, at least if you plan to play for a living.

either way, golf should never define you. And making boast about a difficult game is a recipe for disappointment.

But like most of the folks on this site, we will be ok if proven wrong. Will you be ok if we are proven right?

If you have shot rounds close to par on a reasonable-length golf course, then I would be almost certain you have the potential to pass the playing exam to be a PGA club professional. 

Regarding practice, it's probably already been said, but don't focus on the amount of time you have or wish you had. Focus on using the time you have most effectively. Paying for quality instruction is extremely important and will make you improve much faster. But you must find a good, qualified teacher and you have to have the patience to work with them conscientiously. 

If you have to borrow money or go into debt or something for a little while, don't worry too much about that, because you are investing in yourself.   

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2019 at 2:44 AM, Golfer6969 said:

Very interesting reading all the different takes, I have to say I got the responses I expected... and in a way that is what I waned. Nothing motivates me more than someone saying something is never gonna happen or is one in a million 🤷🏻‍♂️ At the bare minimum my journey should be able to take me to becoming a club professional - a job I’d absolutely love, and at the maximum  could prove you all wrong... anyone interested in having progress updates? I think I may surprise a few of you...

UPDATE: For anyone who cares 🤷🏻‍♂️ 2.5 months into my journey and I’m still grinding - I’m down to a handicap of 2.8 but am playing to more like a 1-2 handicap at this stage. My putting is what I’ve worked on hardest and is by far and away the best part of my game, I would go as far as to say it’s better than scratch standard and regularly have mid 20 putts. Granted this includes a lot of up and downs, but inside 15 foot I give myself the expectation of holing it every time. Obviously this doesn’t happen, but I expect it to, as is the level of confidence I have managed to instil in my stroke. Iron game needs some major work as I think this is still lagging well behind at a 4/5 handicapper level. Any thoughts, opinions or pointers would be appreciated 💪🏼

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Golfer6969 said:

Any thoughts, opinions or pointers would be appreciated 💪🏼

Have you competed in any tournaments recently?

58 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Have you competed in any tournaments recently?

Just at my home course which isn’t particularly long, about 6400 yards off the back tees, but its tight with thick rough and a lot of hazards/OB/bunkers which compensate somewhat for the lack of lengeth. My last three rounds have been 71, 74, 68 and 76 (par 70) the 74 was most frustrating as I had two doubles and a triple - all caused by wayward iron shots which is my next area of focus. My aim is to get to a standard where I feel comfortable entering opens at away courses by next summer. That being said I’ve played lots of friendly golf at away courses, including wentworth (the course the pros play) where I hit +3 off the furthest back tees. I was -2 with 5 to play, playing very well but I think it went to my head in the last 5! The thing is with a course like that, if you’re a good putter (which I like to think I am) then getting on greens like those actually makes golf easier 🤷🏻‍♂️

34 minutes ago, Golfer6969 said:

My aim is to get to a standard where I feel comfortable entering opens at away courses by next summer.

Why wait?

Just an opinion from a hacker, but If you are 22, time isn't on your side any more. Go after the biggest game you can find.

@Golfer6969 Good luck with the attempt to turn pro.  Always try to play different courses and conditions, because the one thing the best pro's have in common is that they can play the same on virtually any type of course.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Sounds like you are on the right track, one thing that people haven't touched on enough is that this is not a 1 person journey. You need to be making connections with the right people and placing yourself into situations to meet those people. 

Great social skills and an great attitude will attract the right people towards you, I know in my journey I've been very fortunate to make some great connections that are on my side and want to see me do as well as I can in the game. 

You need to be meeting people.

The journey becomes a lot easier when you're friends with a wealthy business man who wants to sponsor you for some events. I call it the X factor because if you have poor connections and aren't an absolutely dynamite player then you're going to struggle standing out. Why would someone want to help the annoying, arrogant quiet kid who doesn't talk to anyone?

Be social.

If you aren't a member at a club, look at the high-end clubs and take advantage of the low rates young adults get. 

Careful of the places you associate yourself with, you don't want to be second guessing your dreams because some plug on here tells you that it's not worth it / going to happen. Nobody knows the potential of your development, keep working hard, be smart with your hours and go from there.

• iacas changed the title to Dream of Turning Pro
On 6/20/2019 at 3:58 PM, Golfer6969 said:

Any thoughts, opinions or pointers would be appreciated

Your home course it´s short like mine, what you need to do it´s to make it longer. That´s what I used to do when i was traning for MidAm competitions.

Your need to play every day in a 7200 yards course, so if your course it´s 6400 yards... (800/18=44.4) you need to tee up on every hole in average 45 yards behind the longest tee.  

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

Your home course it´s short like mine, what you need to do it´s to make it longer. That´s what I used to do when i was traning for MidAm competitions.

Your need to play every day in a 7200 yards course, so if your course it´s 6400 yards... (800/18=44.4) you need to tee up on every hole in average 45 yards behind the longest tee.  

45 yards behind the longest tee?  So he has to tee it up from the McDonald's parking lot across the street?!

On 4/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, Diece said:

Do it man.

f*** being realistic.

What's the worse that can happen?

You try really hard and don't make it + you learn a lot about yourself and meet cool people?

Sounds like fun.

What's better?

Going to school, getting a "good" job, making money, while every time you drive by the course you wonder if you could have done something with golf.

Notice how none of these people responding are actually pros themselves and I don't mean teaching pros, or having played one time on the circuit. I mean full blown, Web.com or similar level players.

None are.

What the hell makes them qualified to give you advice?

Where has their "advice" got them?

Are these people even "successful" ? And I'm not talking making 100k a year, I'm talking more, is there anyone here that's a BIG DREAMER with a very STRONG VISION commenting on here?

Are these guys champions in their own lives?

No?

Then why the f*** listen to them.

They have no right to tell someone, especially someone young like you, what you should do.

In fact, I think it's asinine because you're being led down the same path.

Ask yourself, do I want to to walk in this guys shoes? Do I want to trade lives with them?

And if you don't.

Don't listen to them.

Remember what Arnold Schwarzenegger said in his rules for success.

"Don't listen to the naysayers."

Which unfortunately is 90% of people.

The arrogance and irony of this post (in relation to whose posting it) is literally off the charts. 

I'm a recently retired college business professor. Along the way, I have encountered college golfers from all NCAA and NAIA levels.

For those interested in golf industry careers, including club pro, the two most reliable paths seem to be these:

1. Attend a college that has a PGA-sanctioned Professional Golf Management program. The PGM programs are normally housed in the college's business school. You simultaneously pursue a business-related degree and PGM activities - including passing the PAT - leading to PGA membership and certification. Persons must be accepted into both the university and the PGM program.  http://jobfinder.pga.org/helpwanted/empcenter/pgaandyou/universities.cfm?
  2. Work through an apprenticeship program in your local PGA section. This involves OJT while you complete PGA correspondence courses and prepare for your PAT.  Apprentices often pursue a business degree at the same time.

Assorted golf career colleges also exist. These are for-profit golf trade schools, tend to be very expensive, you normally don't earn an academic degree, and career placement help varies widely from place to place.

What to do? Talk to people in the golf industry, see what path they took, and gain appreciation of the pluses and minuses of each path.

For what it's worth: Quite a few successful club pros I know have degrees in either finance or marketing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

2 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

I'm a recently retired college business professor. Along the way, I have encountered college golfers from all NCAA and NAIA levels.

For those interested in golf industry careers, including club pro, the two most reliable paths seem to be these:

1. Attend a college that has a PGA-sanctioned Professional Golf Management program. The PGM programs are normally housed in the college's business school. You simultaneously pursue a business-related degree and PGM activities - including passing the PAT - leading to PGA membership and certification. Persons must be accepted into both the university and the PGM program.  http://jobfinder.pga.org/helpwanted/empcenter/pgaandyou/universities.cfm?
  2. Work through an apprenticeship program in your local PGA section. This involves OJT while you complete PGA correspondence courses and prepare for your PAT.  Apprentices often pursue a business degree at the same time.

Assorted golf career colleges also exist. These are for-profit golf trade schools, tend to be very expensive, you normally don't earn an academic degree, and career placement help varies widely from place to place.

What to do? Talk to people in the golf industry, see what path they took, and gain appreciation of the pluses and minuses of each path.

For what it's worth: Quite a few successful club pros I know have degrees in either finance or marketing.

Good advice WUTiger, though my golf team at SIU beat your golf team at WU. 😁  Diece, as far as I know, is not interested in a "club pro" career.  He aspires to the McKenzie Tour in Canada, and beyond.  Not sure if he sees a club pro career as a fall-back position.  Though your advice is extremely strong for any of us who want to follow that career path.

@Double Mocha Man,

Diece may be tour-bound, but the OP (Golfer6969) was considering multiple options.

BTW, I met a couple of McKenzie Tour players down in Myrtle Beach this April. Had good conversation on bridge clubs - FWs / hybrids / long irons / driving irons. Made notes of their names, but can't find them on short notice 

As far as the tour goes, is there any way to track McKenzie circuit members? The online McK site is pretty lean on information.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

@Double Mocha Man,

Diece may be tour-bound, but the OP (Golfer6969) was considering multiple options.

BTW, I met a couple of McKenzie Tour players down in Myrtle Beach this April. Had good conversation on bridge clubs - FWs / hybrids / long irons / driving irons. Made notes of their names, but can't find them on short notice 

As far as the tour goes, is there any way to track McKenzie circuit members? The online McK site is pretty lean on information.

My bad.  I was conflating the two of them.  Have you tried this site?  It looks fairly thorough.  

canadian-tour_fb.jpg

Mackenzie Tour-PGA TOUR Canada

I was once in the position of these two young men... fled to Miami from St. Louis in mid-winter to work on my game daily and year-around to determine if I was tour pro material.  I was not and it only took me about 8 months to figure it out.

P.S. - When you mentioned "bridge clubs" the picture that came to mind was guys sitting around a table playing a card game with little ol' ladies.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!