IGNORED

The "Mythical" 6-Hour Round?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You guys need to play in the UK. 2 ball round Penrith on Tuesday took 2h45mins. Sunday medal 3 balls are expected to go round in just over 3.5 hours. 

Stevie T

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Yukari said:

When I play in the L.A. area, the muni courses always seem to have five-somes.  Typical round is 5-1/2 hours.  It is dreadfully slooooooow!!

Yeah, that's the case for most LA muni's on the weekend.  Not quite 6 hours, but close.  Like others said, Rancho is the worst.  In Long Beach, Skylinks is the best I think, followed by Rec Park and El Dorado.  Lakewood is always bad though, you can likely have a 6 hour round there on the weekend.  I try to avoid muni golf on the weekends.  Better to take the drive and pay a little more for someplace else.   Skylinks will put out 5-somes before first light - I haven't played that early there in a while, but they use to give you balls that lit up when you hit them, and would have spot lights on the 1st tee box, and put you out in the pitch dark of the dawn.

Wow, after typing all that out, I realize how much I hate muni golf on the weekends!

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

The CC I'm a member at and another CC in the area both have an invitational tournament every year. I've never ponied up the $400/3 days of golf and all-you-can eat/drink, but I was told those are 7 hour rounds because they are 6'ms.

1 hour ago, Beastie said:

You guys need to play in the UK. 2 ball round Penrith on Tuesday took 2h45mins. Sunday medal 3 balls are expected to go round in just over 3.5 hours. 

I assume the English weather discourages lollygagging..😋

Vishal S.

5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I assume the English weather discourages lollygagging..😋

It was a balmy 9C today. Frost first thing mind

• Upvote 1

Stevie T

2 hours ago, ejimsmith said:

Yeah, that's the case for most LA muni's on the weekend.  Not quite 6 hours, but close.  Like others said, Rancho is the worst.  In Long Beach, Skylinks is the best I think, followed by Rec Park and El Dorado.  Lakewood is always bad though, you can likely have a 6 hour round there on the weekend.  I try to avoid muni golf on the weekends.  Better to take the drive and pay a little more for someplace else.   Skylinks will put out 5-somes before first light - I haven't played that early there in a while, but they use to give you balls that lit up when you hit them, and would have spot lights on the 1st tee box, and put you out in the pitch dark of the dawn.

Wow, after typing all that out, I realize how much I hate muni golf on the weekends!

I agree El Dorado is the worst of the three mentioned.  On a weekend, it can come pretty close to a 6 hour round.

Thank goodness, I only have to play in L.A. muni courses when I visit.

Edited by Yukari
Added last sentence

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

My former course used to be plagued with long slow rounds, because the course conditions were difficult beyond other public courses players new to the track would be overwhelmed and spend excessive time searching for lost balls, 5 hours would be considered ok and 6 would be normal on weekends after 10am, the afternoon would get ridiculous to the point of why bother.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

18 hours ago, Beastie said:

Walking always.

That's what I thought.  

Carts are one of the worst things to happen to the game over here.  Living in FL, I meet a lot of you guys visiting from the UK and lemme tell you, for the most part you folks don't %@! around on the golf course.  I wish that were true of everyone.

I’ve told this story a few times but not in relation to the overall time for the round.  I was invited to a corporate outing at Emerson Country Club in NJ by a vendor.  He said, he had just started playing but was pretty good since he was taking lessons from his uncle who was a Course Pro.  I actually started the round out very well and it’s a beautiful course, so I wasn’t really paying attention to the time.  After the first four holes, I realized we were out for over an hour already.  We were playing singles format and two man team-combined and I checked my “partners” scores to that point and he was already at 32.  It only got worse from there.  I realized as a twosome we were taking longer than a foursome, and he was taking two shots to everyone I took, sometimes more.  It was probably the most painful round I have ever watched.  I am not joking when I tell you his score was 176 and he refused to pick up early on any hole.  The winning twosome shot a 143 and we actually got a gag gift for the highest average score. I shot a 92, which was probably the result of standing around and waiting 5-10 minutes between each shot.  I’m not sure exactly how long it took, but we teed off at 10AM and made it to dinner at 4:30 with just enough time to use the restroom before.

• iacas changed the title to The "Mythical" 6-Hour Round?
On 4/10/2019 at 4:02 PM, Chasing_Bogeys said:

If you're looking for Sasquatch, (s)he lives among the LA Municipal courses and comes out for photos on Saturday and Sunday late morning/early afternoon.

Another reason to not live in California (as if I needed another one). 

• Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 1811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!