IGNORED

Ridiculous Question from a Tiger Hater

Tusher
Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Tusher said:

I’d like to bring you back to a time when a player put down a towel because he had to play his ball from under a tree and didn’t want to get his pants dirty.  I believe he was disqualified because he didn’t realize that the towel meant he ‘improved’ his lie and signed an incorrect card.

Nope.

Craig Stadler was penalized for "building a stance." He didn't improve his lie.

Throwing gum in the bushes is the same as building a stance?

Basically.....rules are rules and I was just curious. There are so many outdated and odd rules.  Not everyone is aware of every rule and this could have been one ....

No, it really couldn't have been one.

You seriously don’t think that littering is disrespecting the course?  I think you are just pulling my leg now.  What do you think would happen if a member at Augusta National threw a wad of napkins (don’t worry, they’re biodegradable) on the first tee?  My guess is that you would feel that wouldn’t be acceptable because it’s in plain sight.  

Sounds like optics are more important than integrity.

Oy.

Okay dude.

BTW:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/10-rules-of-golf/

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=1

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nope.

Craig Stadler was penalized for "building a stance." He didn't improve his lie.

Throwing gum in the bushes is the same as building a stance?

No, it really couldn't have been one.

Oy.

Okay dude.

BTW:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/10-rules-of-golf/

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=1

I stand corrected.  I always seemed to think it was lie improvement.   Ok thanks.

Littering is clearly not the same as building a stance.  And quite obviously not the same as improving your lie.  The point I was trying to make was that not everyone knows all the rules. Do you think Craig Stadler would have used the towel had he been aware of the repercussions?

Why ‘couldn’t it have been’?  There are special rules for specific situations, tournaments and clubs.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Tusher said:

The point I was trying to make was that not everyone knows all the rules.

Many do.

12 minutes ago, Tusher said:

Why ‘couldn’t it have been’?  There are special rules for specific situations, tournaments and clubs.  

Because:

• It's not against the Rules.
  • It would be pretty ridiculous to think that it was against the Rules to toss a piece of gum somewhere in a way that nothing (no ball in play, no other player, etc.) is affected.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, Tusher said:

I stand corrected.  I always seemed to think it was lie improvement.   Ok thanks.

Littering is clearly not the same as building a stance.  And quite obviously not the same as improving your lie.  The point I was trying to make was that not everyone knows all the rules. Do you think Craig Stadler would have used the towel had he been aware of the repercussions?

He tossed the gum into the bushes respectfully to prevent someone from stepping on it. Everybody hates stepping on gum. So thanks for pointing out Tiger’s act of thoughtfulness all while trying to win his 15th Major. Impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Deff no penalty for Tiger, yes he threw his gum into the bushes but DJ got caught on the BBC cameras spitting after a tee shot and no penatly so both as bad as each other really. It was brought up by the commentary team stating he shouldn't be doing it.

Gum takes a while to break down and it's common for birds to ingest the gum and it can kill them so not great in that respect.

Were litter bins provided on each tee?

If not then something for the organisers to look at in future

If they were, then players need to be educated in how to use them!

Either way, didn't take anything away from a great Masters and a well desereved victory for Tiger. Best Masters in a while IMO.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

This topic should not be about Tiger or the Masters, its about littering on the course. Its done by too many, pro’s and amateurs. Gum, sigaret stubs, paper, plastic, beer cans, wraps, water bottles you name it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RussUK said:

Deff no penalty for Tiger, yes he threw his gum into the bushes but DJ got caught on the BBC cameras spitting after a tee shot and no penatly so both as bad as each other really. It was brought up by the commentary team stating he shouldn't be doing it.

Gum takes a while to break down and it's common for birds to ingest the gum and it can kill them so not great in that respect.

Were litter bins provided on each tee?

If not then something for the organisers to look at in future

If they were, then players need to be educated in how to use them!

Either way, didn't take anything away from a great Masters and a well desereved victory for Tiger. Best Masters in a while IMO.

Thank you Russ!

Finally ..... a thoughtful, well constructed reply. 

I agree with everything you said. I just didn’t know if there could be repercussions.

Again, thanks for the informative reply.

tough crowd

• Administrator

Spitting isn't generally regarded as all that bad:

I'm not a fan of littering on the course.  Sunflower shells, cigarette butts, gum, etc etc etc etc.

But I don't think in the rules of golf there's a penalty for littering.  So asking the question that way is a bit of a reach just to troll.

I appreciate him tossing it in the woods.  Even more, I'd prefer he put in a wrapper and then use the next trash can.

I don't care if it's Joe-weekend-golfer, or Jack Nicklaus himself.

Still, there's a lot more things more important than just this.

Bill - 

4 hours ago, Tusher said:

tough crowd

Only when someone watches one of the great sports stories of the decade and his take is about littering.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

If the OP hates Tiger for throwing gum in the bushes, I’m curious what he thinks of Brooks Koepka.

I want to know what he thinks of the old days when Jack or Arnie would take a last drag on their cigarette and then flick the butt away before hitting their shot.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

32 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I want to know what he thinks of the old days when Jack or Arnie would take a last drag on their cigarette and then flick the butt away before hitting their shot.

I'll tell what I think of it.  It's disgusting and idiotic.  But in the context of the time, not so unusual.

Today?  No excuse for being that kind of a complete ass.

Bill - 

51 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

This you, Tusher?

spacer.png

Well I guess it’s time for me to pull the pin on this site. 

Thanks to those that took the time and actually responded to the inquiry. As some have probably figured out, I don’t know all the rules.  If you do (not think, but actually know ALL the rules), that’s amazing, congrats.

The golf was amazing.  It was a thrilling conclusion.  Much more exciting than years past (as I recall).  

To those that either diverted or just wanted to add commentary (something about divots, photo above still don’t know what trolling or OP are - probably negative though), it added no value.  

I think I need an audience that’s a little more mature.

16 minutes ago, Tusher said:

I think I need an audience that’s a little more mature.

Yeah ok. Or maybe just go back to your PS4. Let it go.

2 hours ago, turtleback said:

Only when someone watches one of the great sports stories of the decade and his take is about littering.

I mean that pretty much sums it up.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!