rehmwa

Who Would Be Jack Today?

9 posts / 234 viewsLast Reply

separate thought - if Jack was playing today, I wonder which current player would he be in terms of body build, playing style, decision making, etc......

(doesn't have to be a winner, just which player today would most project what one thinks would be a modern day Jack)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

My first guess is "no one".  Then again,  I don't follow the various pro golf tours that closely. 

Nobody, really. Jack wasn't a workout guy - virtually every player works out now. Jack was originally "fat Jack." Good luck finding many fatties on the Tour these days. There aren't many.

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nobody, really. Jack wasn't a workout guy - virtually every player works out now. Jack was originally "fat Jack." Good luck finding many fatties on the Tour these days. There aren't many.

Pretty likely he’d be a gym fiend if he played now. Aphibarnrat is about he only properly fat current player I can think of.

Aside from the lack of general fitness and greater stress on the portly player walking round, are there any significant issues with being overweight specifically in relation to the golf swing?? 

You guys are so literal, it's not transport Jack, as is, to today.  It's "If Jack was born in to this generation of golfers, he'd play/be like _______"

So put Jack in today's world.  Get him in a gym, etc.  I don't have any recollection of Jack, I'm only 52, didn't see him play much.

So "Fat Jack" with confidence and an 'outsider' attitude, maybe a chip on his shoulder and something to prove - with the skills to do it...... - is it Patrick Reed?

I heard he was a relatively big guy that hit past the competition? so  a bomber? (Brooks or DJ)

Was he a dart thrower and amazing with the irons? (Tiger)

did he have a unique swing or style? (Furyk)

he did putt wierd, so maybe today's Jack is Michelle Wie?

Edited by rehmwa

Patrick Reed??????????? Pretty accurate. Just better. And that's not disrespecting Reed

Jack was known for being great with his driver and long irons and a relatively mediocre short game. And clutch putting, but I don't believe he was ever considered the best putter of his day.

So find that player comparison...

13 minutes ago, LMoore said:

Patrick Reed??????????? Pretty accurate. Just better. And that's not disrespecting Reed

I know, I was being serious and worried people would take the wrong kind of offense here.

Jack wasn't Tim Herron or Barn Rat fat.

He was chunky, but strong, especially in the lower body.

I'd put him along the lines of more of a Darren Clarke fat.