Sign in to follow this  
The Flush

Best Driver Under $150 for Infrequent Golfer

14 posts / 5486 viewsLast Reply

I am an infrequent high handicap golfer who might play 10 times a year and currently use an original steel shaft Big Bertha driver (although I have newer (10 years old) Adams irons).  I  would like to upgrade my driver to see if it helps me get off the tees better.  I have set a $150 budget, although lower is better. I have limited options for demoing clubs and my rural area makes for a lesser used market.  Left to my own devices I might buy the TaylorMade RBZ Black Driver from DSG which is currently on sale for $150 plus I have $10 DSG cash to use. 

What else should I consider in this price range?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You should have no problem finding a driver 2 years old for that price. Try anyone of the discount golf sites. If you are that infrequent a golfer you might like one of the older mini-drivers.

25 minutes ago, The Flush said:

What else should I consider in this price range?

2016 TaylorMade M2 would be a great choice at that price point.

Callaway XR16 (Maybe a Callaway Epic if you found a great deal)

Ping G30

Titleist 917 D2/D3 

I was able to find all of those in your price range on 2ndswing.com. There are a number of other good sites in addition to ebay for buying used equipment too. Callawaypreowned.com, taylormadepreowned.com, globalgolf.com, etc.

Another option might be to go the component route. 

Not sure how much prices have gone up, but 10 (?) years ago I was fitted, had a club built based on that fitting for around $135.00 iirc. I know it was well below $150.00. 

The shaft was the expensive component at around $80.00.+/- Added a low profile 460 driver head, and a grip for another $50.00+/-.  Never looked back. Still using that same driver today. 

If used clubs are not a problem, you can get multiple options that are way under that budget.  Look at the golf sites and look up used clubs

15 hours ago, klineka said:

2016 TaylorMade M2 would be a great choice at that price point.

Callaway XR16 (Maybe a Callaway Epic if you found a great deal)

Ping G30

Titleist 917 D2/D3 

I was able to find all of those in your price range on 2ndswing.com. There are a number of other good sites in addition to ebay for buying used equipment too. Callawaypreowned.com, taylormadepreowned.com, globalgolf.com, etc.

I assume that the clubs you have listed are considered better than the TM RBZ Black from DSG?

If I bump my budget up by another $20-30 it looks like a could get a new M1 or 917 D2 from ebay.  But I really don't want to spend more.

1 hour ago, The Flush said:

I assume that the clubs you have listed are considered better than the TM RBZ Black from DSG?

In my opinion, yeah.

That being said, the TM RBZ Black would be a perfectly fine driver for you to start out with, and then in a few years if you decide you might want to start golfing more, you can always upgrade at that time.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the main name brands today, they all make really good equipment.

In my opinion you can not go wrong with the new TaylorMade RBZ driver for $150.00. Make sure it is the adjustable shaft Black and make sure you get the shaft flex you need. I find it as long and forgiving as a TaylorMade M1 I had previously.

After a few unsuccessful bids on ebay to get the type of deal I wanted, I went ahead and bought the TM RBZ Black from DSG. With a $10 coupon and $10 scorecard reward, I paid $130 ($139 with tax).

I was uncertain of what flex shaft to get. My closest DSG only had stiff shafts available, so I hit some with it.  Based on their monitor my swing speed topped out at 90 with a carry around 230 and total distance around 250. Average was obviously lower.  They recommended that I get a regular flex instead of the stiff. I had to order it and won't get it until next week. This gives me a decent club under my budget price with the security of whatever the warranty is on it. I am sure it will be adequate for my needs.

Thanks for all the advice.

I took my new RBZ Black to the range for the first time today.  I think I am going to like it.  After working some kinks out, I was hitting some pretty nice balls.  If I can consistently duplicate that on the course it will make a big difference.

I have had the RBZ Black for over a year now. While it has always been better than my old driver, I have never really hit it well. I know a lot of that is my poor swing.  I recently went for a club fitting and the fitter measured all of my clubs including length, loft, lie, swing weight, and shaft flex. The R flex Matrix 55X4 White Tie Graphite shaft in the RBZ Black was very stiff as well as an inch too long for me according to the fitter. 

After hitting several new drivers with different shafts, the fitter recommended that we just put a more appropriate shaft in my RBZ Black instead of spending $500 on a new latest and greatest driver.  The accra shaft may be overkill/too expensive for this driver, but it probably saved me close to $400 compared to a new driver. 

After 2 range sessions and 5 holes (there are 3 par 3s and a short dogleg par 4) I am now hitting the RBZ Black with the accra shaft about 20 yards further than with the stock shaft according to Mevo. My new mishits are about like my previous average hits. My swing speed has jumped a lot as well, but that could me having more confidence with it.

I still have a lot of room to improve my swing, but I think I now have a better starting point that I think will help me drop a few stokes.

Edited by The Flush

11 minutes ago, The Flush said:

I have had the RBZ Black for over a year now. While it has always been better than my old driver, I have never really hit it well. I know a lot of that is my poor swing.  I recently went for a club fitting and the fitter measured all of my clubs including length, loft, lie, swing weight, and shaft flex. The R flex Matrix 55X4 White Tie Graphite shaft in the RBZ Black was very stiff as well as an inch too long for me according to the fitter. 

After hitting several new drivers with different shafts, the fitter recommended that we just put a more appropriate shaft in my RBZ Black instead of spending $500 on a new latest and greatest driver.  The accra shaft may be overkill/too expensive for this driver, but it probably saved me close to $400 compared to a new driver. 

After 2 range sessions and 5 holes (there are 3 par 3s and a short dogleg par 4) I am now hitting the RBZ Black with the accra shaft about 20 yards further than with the stock shaft according to Mevo. My new mishits are about like my previous average hits. My swing speed has jumped a lot as well, but that could me having more confidence with it.

I still have a lot of room to improve my swing, but I think I now have a better starting point that I think will help me drop a few stokes.

Always love seeing updates like this. Keep up the good work!