IGNORED

Hitting Out of Fairway Bunkers

Note: This thread is 1803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I look for an ideal spot to play my next shot from and try to land the ball there.  It doesn't do any good to rocket one out of a bunker if the next shot is no better or worse.  In other words: delay the heroic attempt one swing.  Put yourself right THEN hit the shot of the day.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many people, especially us higher HCs tend to play a bit to the right with wedges.  I did too; heck, I still do.  I simply allow for it in my aiming.  You can work on it as well with some aiming sticks to get a better sense of the swing in terms of direction. But it will take time to really do that. 

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Depends on the lie, and how high the point (obstruction(s) in front of me might be.

Most of the fairway bunkers (waste areas?) I run into are pretty firm, which leaves the ball sitting up nicely. If there is room in front of me, then I treat it as thin lie. I pick the ball clean off what ever soil the course is using. Picking the ball clean is a shot I practice just for thin lie situations. 

If the ball is sitting down, and there is an obstruction in front of me, then I do as @golfingdad suggested. With this type of situation, I usually use a fairway wood to help from "digging in" like an iron might do with a poor swing, or impact position. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!