IGNORED

Will Jordan Spieth Come Back?

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)
On 2/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, iacas said:

Discussed - and dismissed - earlier in the topic. He didn't try to do that.

Do you agree with this?

AgEXQXd0QmMtQmlKUWpLNnBGaVZYYUNhcEEAMA

Brandel Chamblee has a plan to help Jordan Spieth's golf swing — and he says all it requires is a simple fix.

Brandel states Jordan or McCormick was chasing distance. So even someone with his resources says this without any proof? I don’t have a good eye for this stuff but is this very slight difference just the camera angle or is Brandel correct in his analysis?

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Brandel states Jordan or McCormick was chasing distance.

Unless they lied directly to me, they weren't. Jordan was a slightly above average length driver whose biggest skill was accuracy off the tee given his distance AND his approach shots.

18 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I don’t have a good eye for this stuff but is this very slight difference just the camera angle or is Brandel correct in his analysis?

I doubt it. Those photos don't look all that different - except the camera angles. If someone has videos, cool. Otherwise… those two photos are nowhere near enough to say.

Jordan's been on GEARS, and he's got his swings from 2017 on there too. Maybe even the 2015 swings. They know what is different now from then.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

the guy is only 26.  he's got plenty of time to figure it out.  His putting is average now, but I think much of that has to do with his troubles off the tee.  A lot of guys have undergone similar changes to their swings and it took several years for it to click to the point where it was ready to perform under pressure

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

As long as he stays healthy and motivated, neither of which appear to be an issue, he'll eventually figure this out. Golf is just multi-year maddening like that for even the game's best.

It's interesting though that his swings from 2015 are nearly identical to the ones he makes now, at least to my eye. 

2015 Matchplay:

2019 Northern Trust, slight over-draw to left side of fairway:

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

yeah, these swings arent drastically different.  he has a fairly old school club face that is open his back line on the way down, so his clubface is probably not as stable through impact as it should be if he'd like to be a more accurate driver, but for chamblee to draw some arrows on his knee flex and say with a straight face that he can actually tell the difference is pretty stupid.  for him to say that he can fix him in 2 seconds is even more ridiculous.  fixing him in 2 seconds would suggest that all he has to do is say is , 'hey, give me .5 degree less of knee flex', and Jordan can instantly apply that, and be top 30 in strokes gained off the tee again.  ugh, brandel is such a freaking dope.  if brandel knew how to fix anything, he wouldnt be sucking up to george gankas

Edited by downbylaw11

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

I found an article from 2018 where Jordan sort of blames  Swing Motion.

I couldn’t share the article from my phone, but credit goes to New York Post.B58E2609-D262-4352-948D-FE0DFF9F462E.jpeg.321d4cfa32e3dff11fb08353197bb3e2.jpeg

8F2ED947-A318-4BF0-B871-08EA8D9FE544.jpeg.f546a79785fde6e589bd05c4b1e3dbe4.jpeg

On 3/31/2020 at 3:13 PM, Vinsk said:

Awesome post. Maybe this quarantine will do him some good.

Anyone know about how old that article is? Couldn’t find a date on it. But it had his current age and last years stats. Hopefully it’s new and not something he has already tried and didn’t work.

I thought I remembered him talking about his grip last year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
GettyImages-1155300801.jpg

Butch Harmon has taken issue with Brandel Chamblee's Jordan Spieth comments, saying, “If it was that simple, Brandel, you should go fix it."

There are some mildly spicy takes in there, but basically, it boils down to "Brandel isn't an instructor, and if he was and he thought he could fix Jordan in two minutes, he should just do that."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Butch Harmon has taken issue with Brandel Chamblee's Jordan Spieth comments, saying, “If it was that...

There are some mildly spicy takes in there, but basically, it boils down to "Brandel isn't an instructor, and if he was and he thought he could fix Jordan in two minutes, he should just do that."

I don’t think Brandel needed to say his thoughts the way he did...but that’s what he does. As I stated earlier I just think a new set of eyes could be helpful. It happens in many other situations as well. Sometimes a radiologist has been going over ankle X-ray after X-ray...over and over. I’ll catch a small fracture , the tech might even catch one...and we’ll ask for a second opinion and there it is. 
@iacas stated something about these ‘slumps’ that actually occur more often than we’re realizing and I can agree with that. But since Spieth’s 2015-16 run it just seems something really went haywire. Like a big drop in performance. Not just going from winning to top 10-15 finishes...tanking. I just think it’d be good for a new set of eyes to spend some time with him and not be considered a dis on McCormick. After all, it’s not about him.

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

49 minutes ago, iacas said:

Butch Harmon has taken issue with Brandel Chamblee's Jordan Spieth comments, saying, “If it was that simple, Brandel, you should go fix it."

Claude said instructors don't throw people under the bus, but Butch had a few denigrating words about Brandel. If Brandel was wrong in his analysis, why didn't they rebut and show him the errors in his thinking? I know, it is not their player...

I think it is a big story about Jordan. For a journalist to ignore it doesn't make sense.

Edited by Carl3

41 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Claude said instructors don't throw people under the bus, but Butch had a few denigrating words about Brandel. If Brandel was wrong in his analysis, why didn't they rebut and show him the errors in his thinking? I know, it is not their player...

I think it is a big story about Jordan. For a journalist to ignore it doesn't make sense.

A little saucy...yes. But Harmon didn’t say anything untrue. Brandel isn’t an instructor. And he wasn’t a big success on the Tour. What I don’t agree with was him saying that  Brandel has ‘no chance’ of giving instruction. Brandel has a pretty solid understanding of the golf swing. I don’t him being an instructor would as impossible as he said.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Butch Harmon has taken issue with Brandel Chamblee's Jordan Spieth comments, saying, “If it was that...

I find great irony in Butch Harmon calling out Brandel Chamblee for not being a very good tour player.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

25 minutes ago, billchao said:

I find great irony in Butch Harmon calling out Brandel Chamblee for not being a very good tour player.

Just a cheap dig I think. Harmon can’t be so dumb that he thinks level of play indicates how good an instructor is.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Just a cheap dig I think. Harmon can’t be so dumb that he thinks level of play indicates how good an instructor is.

But why would he take a shot at Brandel's PGA Tour career? Brandel was a more successful tour player than Butch was.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

A little saucy...yes. But Harmon didn’t say anything untrue. Brandel isn’t an instructor. And he wasn’t a big success on the Tour. What I don’t agree with was him saying that  Brandel has ‘no chance’ of giving instruction. Brandel has a pretty solid understanding of the golf swing. I don’t him being an instructor would as impossible as he said.

He said Brandel has a beautiful swing, so I would think that might be of great benefit in being a swing coach. There are so many factors involved in being a champion and sustaining that. Don't these players have nutritionists, masseuses, psychologists, and so forth? Maybe Brandel lacked the killer instinct or a supreme ego or whatever is required.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, billchao said:

But why would he take a shot at Brandel's PGA Tour career? Brandel was a more successful tour player than Butch was.

Yes, but Butch is obviously the better instructor.

I think Claude said the player bit? Dunno.

Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!