IGNORED

Will Jordan Spieth Come Back?

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

what's semi bad?  

I usually consider when the police, the military or hookers don't get involved it is only "semi-bad".

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I usually consider when the police, the military or hookers don't get involved it is only "semi-bad".

LOL!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well this looks just like last week. Putter on fire, playing his second nine with a cool 7 under on the half. I hope he continues to thrive, even if it comes with the occasional triple bogey.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

5 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Well this looks just like last week. Putter on fire, playing his second nine with a cool 7 under on the half. I hope he continues to thrive, even if it comes with the occasional triple bogey.

Not really his putter being on fire - 8 birdies today, the longest being 12', four of them from 5' or closer; so really having his irons dialed in today.
Sorry Colin, hope you don't watch this because although haters gonna hate, likewise apparently Jordan is gonna Jordan (including his triple today, which is the struggling Jordan thing)

• Like 2

Players play, tough players win!

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think it’s fair to say Spieth as unusual problem with putting four rounds together. Notably the weekends. @klineka. I’m not proficient in stats but isn’t this a profound stat for a player with a history of his caliber?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think it’s fair to say Spieth as unusual problem with putting four rounds together. Notably the weekends. @klineka. I’m not proficient in stats but isn’t this a profound stat for a player with a history of his caliber?

This kind of discrepancy in scoring between rounds 1-2 and 3-4 is certainly statistically significant and should be a profound stat for ANYBODY on the PGA Tour (and probably for people a level or two below that).

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Absolutely. No disagreement from me, it appears like his performance at the Charles Schwab where he did put 4 rounds together is the outlier.

Personally I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case and that he had actually figured some things out, but after seeing him revert back to his poor weekend performance this past weekend at the RBC, I'm not hopeful.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

32 minutes ago, klineka said:

Absolutely. No disagreement from me, it appears like his performance at the Charles Schwab where he did put 4 rounds together is the outlier.

Personally I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case and that he had actually figured some things out, but after seeing him revert back to his poor weekend performance this past weekend at the RBC, I'm not hopeful.

I’m usually not a fan of the ‘mental game’ philosophies but damn.. Spieth makes a good argument for it. Erik had mentioned something about many players having cold runs after being hot on tour. Except for Tiger it’s a hard sport to maintain a winning streak. 
But Spieth? It’s like the first tourney back he was playing as he said ‘ like a kid again and just enjoying it.’ Then he gets a top ten and the next tournament he’s back to whatever it is that’s disrupting him. I think he was putting pressure on himself that he did well and now he’s got to continue. I dunno but it’s hard to think there isn’t a mental component, a strong one, when it’s clearly the weekend when he struggles. 

It’s not just putting four rounds together it’s specifically the weekends where he’s collapsing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I am sure strokes gained stat would shine some light on the weekday vs. weekend rounds. Is there a more tangible explanation that can explain this, like a larger shot zone on weekends, etc.? Not sure what the stats are but there were others like RF, who seemed to have a pattern of 'inexplicably' poor weekends or Sundays. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I’m usually not a fan of the ‘mental game’ philosophies but damn.. Spieth makes a good argument for it. 

Maybe he starts missing home on weekends.. :-)). 

Seriously though, it seems we (I'm guilty too) tend to assign 'mental issue' to intangibles. Especially easier for someone like Spieth who is a bit jumpy to start with.  

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

46 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I am sure strokes gained stat would shine some light on the weekday vs. weekend rounds. Is there a more tangible explanation that can explain this, like a larger shot zone on weekends, etc.? Not sure what the stats are but there were others like RF, who seemed to have a pattern of 'inexplicably' poor weekends or Sundays. 

Maybe he starts missing home on weekends.. :-)). 

Seriously though, it seems we (I'm guilty too) tend to assign 'mental issue' to intangibles. Especially easier for someone like Spieth who is a bit jumpy to start with.  

Yeah..but it’s quite specific with JS. He’s a bit jumpier on the weekends. It’s not like he mixes a bad round or two within the four rounds. It’s the weekend specifically.

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah..but it’s quite specific with JS. He’s a bit jumpier on the weekends. It’s not like he mixes a bad round or two within the four rounds. It’s the weekend specifically.

Maybe half a dose of Adderall might do the trick.

Vishal S.

I’ve thought that Jordan should develop more of a Kuchar mindset when he starts to fade.

Every player goes in wanting to win, but there comes a point in a tournament where you want to get into the top 10.

I always felt Kuchar was one of those hang around guys who may not win a lot but doesn’t blow up a lot.  He always seems to finish pretty good.

I was surprised to see Kuchar has more top 10’s than Dustin Johnson.

Jordan is so far out right now, that he needs to set a number he can get to that will get into the top 20 and not worry about the leaders.

He needs to develop positive weekends so that when he is in a position to win he has more confidence in his Sunday game.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like he will be struggling to make the cut this week. This is a guy that has gone from being a young star, to a guy trying to make cuts. He looks like he has no clue. At this rate, he might be done when his exemptions from the majors expire. 

While this is totally tongue-in-cheek.

Jordan hanging out with Brooks reminiscing.

Jordan: Brooks what’s it like to win 4 majors.

Brooks: It’s nice, and easy.

Brooks: Jordan what’s it like to have double digit wins.

Jordan: It’s great.

Aah, the good old days.

John

• 4 weeks later...
AgEXQWZVVkJmVXFzU2xHaXNMY1JMcGtCUVEAMA

In 2015 David Duval had a conversation with Jordan Spieth. At the 2020 PGA Championship, he had some simple...

So maybe this talk about JS seeking distance has some validity? Either way...he’s a mess. 

It might be possible that he had a few great years when he first came out, and now, he's done. I hope that isn't the case, but there seems to be no indication that he is on the right path to return to his early form.

11 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

It might be possible that he had a few great years when he first came out, and now, he's done. I hope that isn't the case, but there seems to be no indication that he is on the right path to return to his early form.

I don’t understand this silly idea that he just has to stay with McCormick. Fine I get it, McCormick is the greatest instructor of all time and no other compares to him. But pros change coaches all the time for much less issues than JS has. I don’t care how amazing McCormick is...he’s not the answer now. Zero progress since he’s repeatedly claimed ‘things are coming around.’ No they’re not. Dump McCormick and go see Gankas, Harmon, Cuomo..somebody. 
JS put McCormick on the board. Not the other way around. Time to go. He’s done enough for McCormick.

Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!