IGNORED

Will Jordan Spieth Come Back?

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sandy Divot said:

but there seems to be no indication that he is on the right path to return to his early form.

This is what I’m referring to. I agree with Erik in regards to many players having a golden streak then cooling off. But he’s playing awful for any tour player...not just an elite one. ‘Coming together’ ‘ making progress’, nonsense. He’s doing none of that. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

This is what I’m referring to. I agree with Erik in regards to many players having a golden streak then cooling off. But he’s playing awful for any tour player...not just an elite one. ‘Coming together’ ‘ making progress’, nonsense. He’s doing none of that. 

His chicken wing caught up with him.

22 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

His chicken wing caught up with him.

Eureka! That’s it! Lol. I didn’t listen to his post round interview if there was one. I’m sure it was the usual bs.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

19 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Eureka! That’s it! Lol. I didn’t listen to his post round interview if there was one. I’m sure it was the usual bs.

I like the guy. But his interviews sound like a salesman trying to sell a bad product. Maybe if he would just admit how bad he's playing he can start to rebuild.  Like an alcoholic having to hit rock bottom before he or she can improve their life.

12 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

Jordan had a nice round today. 67 to finish the tournament. Hopefully a step in the right direction.

Being that it was a weekend day yes. Next tournament will tell I guess. 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Vinsk said:
AgEXQWZVVkJmVXFzU2xHaXNMY1JMcGtCUVEAMA

In 2015 David Duval had a conversation with Jordan Spieth. At the 2020 PGA Championship, he had some simple...

So maybe this talk about JS seeking distance has some validity? Either way...he’s a mess. 

That article ignores that 2017 was his best year playing golf.

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

This is what I’m referring to. I agree with Erik in regards to many players having a golden streak then cooling off. But he’s playing awful for any tour player...not just an elite one.

No, he’s not. He’s an average Tour player right now.

No doubt he was buoyed by a hot putter in the early years too. Maybe he also played above his level. Maybe he’s an average Tour player who got hot for a few years.

His driver isn’t good and in searching for things he can get worse before he gets better, especially if something that seems good isn’t.

You hate McCormick for some reason Kevin. We get it. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

You hate McCormick for some reason Kevin. We get it.

Lol. Well I don’t. I’m sure he’s a good guy. I just don’t see why it’s so taboo to suggest he get help from someone else. Hardly a foreign idea. I of course don’t have all the numbers...but Spieth’s stats on weekend play don’t seem like an average tour player issue. His scoring average Thr/Fri vs Sat/Sun is pretty profound. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Lol. Well I don’t. I’m sure he’s a good guy. I just don’t see why it’s so taboo to suggest he get help from someone else. Hardly a foreign idea. I of course don’t have all the numbers...but Spieth’s stats on weekend play don’t seem like an average tour player issue. His scoring average Thr/Fri vs Sat/Sun is pretty profound. 

Then how is that mechanical?

He’s quite good Thu/Fri, no?

image.jpegimage.png

Average Tour player.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

49 minutes ago, iacas said:

Then how is that mechanical?

Well it’s not a well supported theme that the major issue is mental. I’m not a big supporter of him seeing a ‘mental expert.’ I just think he needs to make a change, a big one. But Duval and others seem to believe he went for a distance chase which is mechanical. I’m not sure why you think his trying a different swing coach is so ridiculous. Many others have and continue to do it no?

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well it’s not a well supported theme that the major issue is mental. I’m not a big supporter of him seeing a ‘mental expert.’ I just think he needs to make a change, a big one. But Duval and others seem to believe he went for a distance chase which is mechanical. I’m not sure why you think his trying a different swing coach is so ridiculous. Many others have and continue to do it no?

I haven’t really commented much on that, and you’re ducking the questions.

He’s worked with Cameron for a long time. Cameron knows him really well. That could be bad, could also be a very good thing.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I haven’t really commented much on that, and you’re ducking the questions.

Jordan has been disappointed with his play for a few years now. Not a bad month, not a few tournaments, years. He has repeatedly said he’s seeing improvement or ‘getting it back.’ He hasn’t. He continues to hit very poor shots and shoot a large number every tournament he enters. 
I don’t care if CM was at his birth and cut the cord. People change, golfers change both physically and mentally. I don’t know what his regimen has been, what he’s been doing with CM but I don’t think trying a new coach would be such a bad thing. If it is, fine ...go back to CM. 

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

He has repeatedly said he’s seeing improvement or ‘getting it back.’ He hasn’t. He continues to hit very poor shots and shoot a large number every tournament he enters. 

We replace all the cells in our bodies every 7 years.  It's been about 4 bad years for Mr. Spieth so most of his tournament winning cells are gone.  

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

We replace all the cells in our bodies every 7 years.  It's been about 4 bad years for Mr. Spieth so most of his tournament winning cells are gone.  

Like I needed more reason to despair  

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Jordan has been disappointed with his play for a few years now. Not a bad month, not a few tournaments, years. He has repeatedly said he’s seeing improvement or ‘getting it back.’ He hasn’t. He continues to hit very poor shots and shoot a large number every tournament he enters. 
I don’t care if CM was at his birth and cut the cord. People change, golfers change both physically and mentally. I don’t know what his regimen has been, what he’s been doing with CM but I don’t think trying a new coach would be such a bad thing. If it is, fine ...go back to CM. 

Ducked it again.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Ducked it again.

What am I ducking? That JS’ issue presents to be a mental over a mechanical issue? I believe we have a lengthy thread discussing the mental game vs mechanics yes? This could be mental or he’s uncertain about his swing and is adjusting feverishly thus unable to put together four rounds. That could be considered both perhaps. You’re a professional instructor and I’m an idiot. I’m not sure what you expect me to do other than what I’ve put forward. IMO, which is equivalent to the village idiot’s opinion as it pertains to golf, JS needs to see someone other than CM to help him achieve being a contender again. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What am I ducking?

The one about whether its mechanics or mental. Given the evidence… You should be leaning toward B, no?

All I’m doing is asking you to back up your claims and reason through something.

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

The one about whether its mechanics or mental. Given the evidence… You should be leaning toward B, no?

All I’m doing is asking you to back up your claims and reason through something.

Not having any information on what he’s been doing makes this difficult. If he began to chase distance, as has been stated but not confirmed, then I would say he’s done something mechanical that screwed up his swing. I don’t have a well enough trained eye to see that. Jordan has been saying in interviews for at least two years that he’s ‘getting it back.’ And by ‘back’ I can only assume he means making a strong performance and even winning. I don’t think JS’s goal is to be an average PGA Tour player. He’s not meeting his goals working with CM but I don’t know if he’s worked with anyone else. Finau just changed his caddie. Rose changed equipment again. To my knowledge JS has done nothing other than beat balls with CM. If that’s true I don’t think it’s what’s best for him.

Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!