• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • @IowaGreg, In the GIF below, Newton’s Cradle, the steel balls have almost no kinetic energy loss due to deformation. This demonstrates an elastic collision. A perfect elastic collision with no energy loss would go on forever. If the balls could deform slightly, as in plastic balls, the energy transfer would be less. The cradle would stop rather quickly. A cradle with say Playdoh on it would have complete deformation. They stop almost immediately. This is called an inelastic or “plastic” collision. If we put golf balls in the cradle of different “compression”, which is really deformation, you could theoretically measure the energy loss. Soft golf balls that deform more, would lose more energy at impact and slow down sooner. OEM ball manufacturers measure deformation with various tools.    But deformation is only one part of golf ball aerodynamics. Spin and lift due to spin with various dimple patterns also contribute. Deformation characteristics and cover softness can also affect spin.  The end result is to find the ball that best fits your game and budget. Try different ones out and see. 
    • Yes, sorry, I’ll fix above. Think of it this way, @IowaGreg: the more a ball compresses, or deforms, the more energy is lost in that transaction. Would a cotton ball go farther at any speed than a golf ball (or a golf ball that weighed as much as a cotton ball)?
    • I assume you meant ‘ball’ speed.
    • Day 23 - Another rainy day in Carolina....still able to get outside this morning to take a few swings with the 6i and foam balls.  Focus was on staying on center - tried this as a warm-up: used the gap in the deck boards on the back deck to "keep my head centered" and then went through the back swing and down swing focusing on keeping the head centered.  As my problem is not rotating enough on the down swing, spent a good amount of the time deliberately coming through and finishing with the chest/belt buckle facing down range AND then moving my head to "watch" the imaginary ball land softly on the green.  Work with the 6i was to replicate those same motions, getting the hips to clear and let the club launch the ball.  Took about 20 swings as it was just drizzly enough to make it miserable.  Deliberately paused between swings to analyze what happened - first few had a couple thin, a couple fat.  RESET time.  Went back through the movements - feeling the swing, the shift in weight from middle - to - back thru to front.  Last 15 swings good and straight, slight fade with a couple with slight draw bias. The swing had that effortless feel I occasionally get on the course.  Yep - it really helped re-reading last night in LSW!   
    • I guess if you wanted to be like Rickie these are the clubs you buy. Though based on recent form, not sure that's much of a selling point. These clubs look good from the back but I found the top down view far less attractive. Similar to the Hogans where the hosel look disproportionally thick versus the top line of the blade. Just my opinion.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Aynfan
      Aynfan
      (153 years old)
    2. DDBowdoin
      DDBowdoin
      (36 years old)
    3. drw72
      drw72
      (49 years old)
    4. jest
      jest
      (68 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...