Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bones75

Did I get trolled?

17 posts / 1437 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Played back 9 this morning, but started to be slow around 17th and the first-out group of two caught up and joined me. One guy in his early 40's was super good, but I only saw him play two holes. My guess was that he was low singles index. On the 18th par 4, he hit a 300+ yard drive, but it landed him about 50 yds short right of the green, with a bush between him and the pin. He then deliberately played a left handed shot (he was right handed, and he clearly had room to swing righty) to do this crazy short 50 yard shot w/ a 20 yard hook to get him on the green. He then said that he can hook short shots more while swinging lefty, but he said it w/ a big grin. When he pulled it off and got on the green, his buddy was laughing pretty hard and gave him a fist bump.

By his reaction and comments I am 90% sure he was just having fun w/ me and did it purely for fun, but at work today I started to wonder if that really is a thing. Like maybe the vertical grooves when swinging lefty allowed him to hook it easier or something? Again, it was such a cool shot my mind went wandering w/ it. Maybe he was ambidextrous too, I have no idea.

The ball flight itself reminded me of phil's shot here, although it was shorter, and he shot it left-handed (while being a righty), and it appeared (to me) to turn even more than Phil's did.

Ever heard of anyone else deliberately swinging lefty (if they are a righty, or vice versa) on purpose, even though they had room to swing regularly?  

Edited by bones75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bones75 said:

Played back 9 this morning, but started to be slow around 17th and the first-out group of two caught up and joined me. One guy in his early 40's was super good, but I only saw him play two holes. My guess was that he was low singles index. On the 18th par 4, he hit a 300+ yard drive, but it landed him about 50 yds short right of the green, with a bush between him and the pin. He then deliberately played a left handed shot (he was right handed, and he clearly had room to swing righty) to do this crazy short 50 yard shot w/ a 20 yard hook to get him on the green. He then said that he can hook short shots more while swinging lefty, but he said it w/ a big grin. When he pulled it off and got on the green, his buddy was laughing pretty hard and gave him a fist bump.

By his reaction and comments I am 90% sure he was just having fun w/ me and did it purely for fun, but at work today I started to wonder if that really is a thing. Like maybe the vertical grooves when swinging lefty allowed him to hook it easier or something? Again, it was such a cool shot my mind went wandering w/ it. Maybe he was ambidextrous too, I have no idea.

The ball flight itself reminded me of phil's shot here, although it was shorter, and he shot it left-handed (while being a righty), and it appeared (to me) to turn even more than Phil's did.

Ever heard of anyone else deliberately swinging lefty (if they are a righty, or vice versa) on purpose, even though they had room to swing regularly?  

He probably had the shanks and didn’t want to embarrass himself after that 300yd drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a friend that played on the Nationwide Tour back in the day.  He can still beat me like a drum playing lefty.

These guys are good!  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can you shape a 50 yard shot 20 yards? And I'm not taking about a shank going sideways, but hitting a ball that flies 50 yards forward and curves 20 yards sideways in the air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Can you shape a 50 yard shot 20 yards? And I'm not taking about a shank going sideways, but hitting a ball that flies 50 yards forward and curves 20 yards sideways in the air. 

I dint think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got a buddy that played on various tours that I have seen hook a sand wedge about 30 yards around a tree. He's also pretty good hitting this low punch shot under trees that then gains altitude and sits pretty quick on the green. He has shown me how to do it but I have never been able to copy that shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From 150 yards I can hook it 20 yards or more if needed. That means I've hit a bad tee shot. From 50?.................I'm not a physicist, but I don't think it's possible even with a balata ball. I know I can't do it, nor would I try.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't vouch for distances or exact curvature, but it looked just like the Mickelson clip I posted. From the vid, Phil's shot didn't look like it flew 150 yards me, I thought maybe 60 yards at most (in the air).  It looked just like it, except even a more curvy shot and it didn't run out (hit into up-slope in front of green), similar hole setup, except the guy I saw was a natural righty. 

Perhaps my visual judgement is far off.  Does the Phil clip to u guys look like 100+ yard shot (in the air)? or curving less than 20 yards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Zeph said:

Can you shape a 50 yard shot 20 yards? And I'm not taking about a shank going sideways, but hitting a ball that flies 50 yards forward and curves 20 yards sideways in the air. 

If anybody can it’s probably Bubba.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, bones75 said:

Like maybe the vertical grooves when swinging lefty allowed him to hook it easier or something? Again, it was such a cool shot my mind went wandering w/ it.

that makes sense too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Now I'm even more curious. I'll play the course again tomorrow or thur morning and see if i can laser the exact distance he hit his.  But if the dude in the pictures below can do it, I'd say phil and others can do it a lot better. I'm still curious about the lefty swing tho.

dave-pelz-1_960.jpg

Near the green but behind a tree? Try the low-hooking pitch shot. It's easier than you think. Follow these few steps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooking a shot 20 yards is much easier than slicing one 20 yards, as shutting the face helps. I have heard many people say that the shot Bubba played on #10 to win the Masters playoff was only possible as a left handed golfer and that any right handed player could only cut the ball that far right if hitting a 200 yard shot. Maybe the guy you were playing with hit that shot left handed for the same reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a friend who's brother in law golfs with us occasional.

He's been playing a long time and playing really bad, bad golf for a long time.
He hits every shot with all clubs, a low banana ball which curves a ton.
He can usually control this type of play, but when anyone golfs with him,
they usually scratch their head in amazement how he can do it ....

His divot is usually 45* left of the target and deeply cut ….

He's a ton of fun, and always laughs about his horrible swing ….

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, chicub15 said:

Hooking a shot 20 yards is much easier than slicing one 20 yards, as shutting the face helps. I have heard many people say that the shot Bubba played on #10 to win the Masters playoff was only possible as a left handed golfer and that any right handed player could only cut the ball that far right if hitting a 200 yard shot. Maybe the guy you were playing with hit that shot left handed for the same reason?

It also wasn’t a 50-yard shot.

A lefty could do the Bubba shot because he got to close and de-loft the face, reducing spin loft. A righty would be opening the face adding loft. Couldn’t tilt the spin axis enough.

And even if a righty hits with a 3-iron they couldn’t get the club head that far “outside” to tilt it enough either, with speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

just fyi I lasered his shot it was btwn 55-57 yards in the air, and rolled out another ~10 feet. Still hard to judge how much it curved, as I wasn't standing directly behind him, and the ball did roll out straight up hill on the green.  From where teh ball ended, looks to be at the least 20 degrees right (20 yards right). 

I wonder if this would be a good challenge thread. I tried a few on the range, and can hook the ball a ton (over 25 degrees or 30 yards) at like 75 yards in the air, but the less hard you hit it, the less it turns (duh). Maybe you need to swing left handed w/ a righty club.

sidenote: i also lasered his drive. It was only 287. The hole plays 350, but he cheated a slight dogleg a bit. I would have sworn it was 300+, but again mind plays tricks.

Edited by bones75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...