Jump to content
TAC852413

Scotty Cameron Tour Only Putter or Not?

25 posts / 1573 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I have been using a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 studio select putter going on almost 10 years.  Before the Scotty Cameron,  I would use ping anser's, odyssey white/black hots, and many others.  The style and shape of the ping ansers's, having a putter with an oddly shaped head was never my interest. So now for some reason I feel the need to seek out a new putter! The Scotty Cameron tour only putters have my attention at the moment.  The timeless 2, too be more specific.  The question I would like to ask is, what putters are currently available to be custom fit, and are the more standard shaped putter? I'm sure there are at least one or two other manufacturers who are able to create putters that are comparable to a Scotty Cameron. Looking for any suggestions. 

Screenshot_20190418-134951_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of your choice, go get fitted when you purchase a putter.   The cost of the fitting is inexpensive over the life of the putter.   What most people find, they believe they can aim the putter face correctly but are really surprised when the data shows something different.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

The first that comes to mind when it comes to custom fit putters is Edel...

Edel.....? I will be doing some research, I don't think I have ever heard of that company and I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable regarding golf and it's manufactures. Thank you for the advice. 

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Regardless of your choice, go get fitted when you purchase a putter.   The cost of the fitting is inexpensive over the life of the putter.   What most people find, they believe they can aim the putter face correctly but are really surprised when the data shows something different.  

I will definitely be getting fitted for this putter,  more than likely it will be the last putter I buy. I'm not one to change clubs. I find what works best for me and enjoy hitting good shots. I'm just curious as to what other than a Scotty Cameron putter would be comparable. I don't need a new putter but I can actually afford to buy something nice for myself so why not a quality putter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's puzzling to me is that we expect to pay upwards of $500 or more for a Driver, and while extremely important, we might use that club 10-14 times per round, and sometimes, depending on the course, much less.

Yet we use the putter 30-40 times a round and are reluctant to pay $400 for a putter.

Either way, both need professional fitting. If fitted correctly, at least we know it's the indian and not the arrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree! A putter is my most important club in my bag. When someone asks me what I paid for the Scotty Cameron putter I currently use, their reactions are hilarious to me. Most of them have a brand new set of $1200 irons or new drivers and 3 woods! I laugh cause the putter most of them use is not something I would even consider to use. Spending the money on irons and drives, why not have a nice putter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive used a several different model scotty camerons. I used a pro platinum laguna 2 for a long time. I think you can pass. Its not that im against spending $3-400 on a putter, i just dont think you're getting anything more with a scotty cameron than you are with a $150 odyssey or ping. You pay mostly for the brand name with Scotty Cameron and not performance. They definitely have that "expensive for the sake of being expensive" market cornered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I do appreciate you advice and I have to agree with you about paying for the name. No doubt! I'm actually looking into  to tour only Scotty Cameron's and I am still looking into the other different, I guess you can say high end putters.  You're 100% correct about $150 ping or odyssey. This weekend I was using a putter a friend wanted me to, (cleaveland) and I have to say that I did put well. But it just didn't feel as good as my 12 year old Scotty Cameron.  I'm looking to spend to get a nice putter and have it fitted.  Hopefully.  I may end up just sticking with my old trusty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Ive used a several different model scotty camerons. I used a pro platinum laguna 2 for a long time. I think you can pass. Its not that im against spending $3-400 on a putter, i just dont think you're getting anything more with a scotty cameron than you are with a $150 odyssey or ping. You pay mostly for the brand name with Scotty Cameron and not performance. They definitely have that "expensive for the sake of being expensive" market cornered. 

I'm not saying that a Cameron is better than an Odyssey or Ping by any means. What I am saying is that money is well spent on a putter fitting which will bring the cost of a Ping or Odyssey close to $350-400. A good fitter will help you chose something that fits your eye and that you can line up well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also second the Edel rec. A Scotty is worthless if you can't aim it, and a Scotty fitting isn't going to help you aim it if the head is all wrong for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, LMoore said:

I'm not saying that a Cameron is better than an Odyssey or Ping by any means. What I am saying is that money is well spent on a putter fitting which will bring the cost of a Ping or Odyssey close to $350-400. A good fitter will help you chose something that fits your eye and that you can line up well.

You are the 4th person who has recommended getting fit for the putter. That's something I have yet to do,  but upon my purchase I'll be getting fitted for this putter regardless of the brand. 

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I will also second the Edel rec. A Scotty is worthless if you can't aim it, and a Scotty fitting isn't going to help you aim it if the head is all wrong for you. 

So Edel.... I'm going to be researching this putting stick. I have never heard or seen this brand before so I'm interested. These Tour Only Scotty Cameron putters look very nice and would look even better in my bag. $4000 is what has kept me from already buying my new putter.  So I'm going to look up this Edel putter everyone is suggesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

The first that comes to mind when it comes to custom fit putters is Edel...

This. A lot of putter "fittings" are pretty basic: length, loft, lie. It's important to have a putter fit for aim, distance control, proper weight, etc.

1 hour ago, LMoore said:

What's puzzling to me is that we expect to pay upwards of $500 or more for a Driver, and while extremely important, we might use that club 10-14 times per round, and sometimes, depending on the course, much less.

Yet we use the putter 30-40 times a round and are reluctant to pay $400 for a putter.

Those strokes aren't weighted the same. The 14 times you hit driver are much more important than the 30-40 putts, especially when you consider a third of those are tap-ins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, LMoore said:

I'm not saying that a Cameron is better than an Odyssey or Ping by any means. What I am saying is that money is well spent on a putter fitting which will bring the cost of a Ping or Odyssey close to $350-400. A good fitter will help you chose something that fits your eye and that you can line up well.

Perhaps. I dont know. Ive never been fitted for a putter. But ive been using the same style of putter (the ping zing type) for nearly my entire golfing life. I kinda almost fear the idea that i should be using something different...😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been looking at these Edel putters. They have a nice look. Now I'm going to try to find a golf shop that may carry them. Still leaning toward the Scotty Cameron tho....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TAC852413 said:

I have been looking at these Edel putters. They have a nice look. Now I'm going to try to find a golf shop that may carry them. Still leaning toward the Scotty Cameron tho....

It's a flat piece of metal (usually) on the end of a stick.

Get the tool that fits you best and works best for you.

You're hung up on a Scotty Cameron for the name. Which is fine if that's what you like, but… it's a flat piece of metal on the end of a stick.

If you care about performing your best at golf, go Edel. Odds that a Cameron will best fit you for aim and speed are slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's a flat piece of metal (usually) on the end of a stick.

Get the tool that fits you best and works best for you.

You're hung up on a Scotty Cameron for the name. Which is fine if that's what you like, but… it's a flat piece of metal on the end of a stick.

If you care about performing your best at golf, go Edel. Odds that a Cameron will best fit you for aim and speed are slim.

I agree that I am hung up on the Scotty Cameron mainly for the name.  Considering the price of the SC , I would be able to buy a putter in every different brand and have a putter collection before covering the SC cost. I'm still undecided but I'll keep reading posts and asking questions. I have a few day of vacation this week and not much going on so it's a good time for educating myself more about putters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Seemore, at least for me, have some of the best putters.  It's down to personal taste but you can even get fitted on a SAM putt lab to verify your feelings.  I like how my Seemore SB1 feels, and I love the red dot and that huge white line on top.  They have custom fitting and all that available too, but I'm an eBay guy haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's a flat piece of metal (usually) on the end of a stick.

Get the tool that fits you best and works best for you.

You're hung up on a Scotty Cameron for the name. Which is fine if that's what you like, but… it's a flat piece of metal on the end of a stick.

If you care about performing your best at golf, go Edel. Odds that a Cameron will best fit you for aim and speed are slim.

Was at my local club shop. My daughter and myself were trying out putters. I tried every scotty Cameron available. The price range was from $450 to $550. I tried some pings and odysseys. None of them compare to my Cleveland Classic #1, purchased for $69 a few years back. https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/golf-clubs/putters/cleveland/classic/cleveland-classic-putter/ 

I agree with all the others, get fitted, if need to.

But find the putter that is right for you. Regardless of the name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...