Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

DIY Plyometric Box - What Do You Think of this One?

7 posts / 930 viewsLast Reply

I've had wood cut by the lumbar yard before, but I don't think with Home Depot or Lowes. Wondering how smooth the cuts they make will be. It'll definitely be better than my lame rusty rotary saw. This looks pretty simple, no? 

plyo_thumbnail-e14375212787911.jpg

I’m a big fan of plyometric exercises. They’re designed to increase speed, power, and explosiveness and are a great supplement to your regular strength training routine. Many lower-body plyometric exercises utilize a...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

15 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I've had wood cut by the lumbar yard before

I've never had wood cut by the "lumbar" yard before. How'd it come out? Hope they didn't give you any pain about it 😜

22 minutes ago, billchao said:

I've never had wood cut by the "lumbar" yard before. How'd it come out? Hope they didn't give you any pain about it 😜

I just "walked" it off. 😜

🥁

I would suggest adding corner reinforcements to the edges.
Simply cut 2X2's and screw & glue to inside edges before assembly.

Without corner supports, there is a risk of the box collapsing at some point in time.
I would also bevel the edges once assembled for safety.
Sharp corners could cut and scrape skin if an accident / fall / bump happens.

Non slip strips would probably be a good idea to add.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I've had wood cut by the lumbar yard before, but I don't think with Home Depot or Lowes. Wondering how smooth the cuts they make will be. It'll definitely be better than my lame rusty rotary saw. This looks pretty simple, no? 

plyo_thumbnail-e14375212787911.jpg

I’m a big fan of plyometric exercises. They’re designed to increase speed, power, and explosiveness and are a great supplement to your regular...

Lowes was not that accurate when I had them cut some plywood. Borrow a good saw and do it yourself if you feel comfortable doing it.

I only deal with Lowes, (personal reasons) and I have them cut plywood for me. 

I give the guy the measurement(s). They set the saw, we check the measurement again, and then they make the cut. 

The first few cuts are free. Aditional cuts might be $0.25 each. 

I can't throw around full sheets of plywood like I use to do. (I can in a pinch) Having stuff precut to fit, works out quite well for me. 

Yeah, another vote for taking care of the edges.  We have metal frame boxes at our place and I've seen people miss and cut the shit out of their shins.  I missed once and it chipped the bone on my right shin.  I've stacked a couple boxes to get to 42" but I wouldn't make it a habit unless we get the softer boxes that Velcro to the floor.