IGNORED

2019 PGA Championship

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A look at Bethpage Black a couple of weeks before the start. In a densely populated area w/a lot of golfers, there are lots of pics and it isn't even Monday of the week of the tournament yet. Saw a lot of renovations being done to clubhouse. They basically tore down the dining room right adjacent to the bathroom near Red #1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Love Bethpage. If it plays soft it’s goung to play LONG. Three par-4s over 510 yards. Only two par-5s. Rough usually is pretty thick. Should be a tough test for these guys. Don’t think guys will tear it up like they did Bellerive last year.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Love Bethpage. If it plays soft it’s goung to play LONG. Three par-4s over 510 yards. Only two par-5s. Rough usually is pretty thick. Should be a tough test for these guys. Don’t think guys will tear it up like they did Bellerive last year.

Are they going to set it up like a US Open or a PGA birdie fest?  Can the Black Course even host a birdie bonanza, or is it always tough?

14 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Are they going to set it up like a US Open or a PGA birdie fest?  Can the Black Course even host a birdie bonanza, or is it always tough?

I think it’s hard to setup Bethpage for a birdie fest especially looking at the course card. But I don’t think it’ll play US Open tough.

• Like 1

I knew we were getting close to the PGA Championship when I heard that GC was carrying some of the PGA Professional Championship starting yesterday.
Sure winning is great, but the prize is to finish top 20 and that get's you into the PGA Championship @ BPB next month.

ppc-square.jpg

Find the 2019 PGA Professional Championship leaderboard and other scoring information from the action at the Belfair, Bluffton, SC, USA

I'm watching Dan Olsen, guy from Mid-Michigan who is not playing some of the Sr. Tour but still playing this event; also Omar Uresti - who was in a group I caddie in 25+ in a Nike tour qualifier; also of note several female pro's also in the event.

Players play, tough players win!

10 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I think it’s hard to setup Bethpage for a birdie fest especially looking at the course card. But I don’t think it’ll play US Open tough.

I'm very excited for this event. I've always wanted to see some of these good/tough US OPEN venues played normally. I always thought it would bring out the best winner. Now all we need is a PGA CHAMPIONSHIP at Shinnecock. That will probably never happen, but I would love to see the pro's play these courses under conditions that didn't worry about the winning score being EVEN.

12 hours ago, ChrisP said:

The two times the Barclays has been at Bethpage, the winning score has been -9 and -10. I would guess we'll get someone around that range. Maybe a shot or two higher because it's earlier in the year and the weather could be wrose.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

13 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Its possible if the rough and fescues are down and the fairways are mowed at their usual widths. Its mostly tee to green where the black course bites you. The greens on are mostly flat and easy to putt. But they actually have alot of poa in them so they pop and can get really bumpy late in that day. Especially in the spring. So that will be something extra to deal with. 

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

The two times the Barclays has been at Bethpage, the winning score has been -9 and -10. I would guess we'll get someone around that range. Maybe a shot or two higher because it's earlier in the year and the weather could be wrose.

Those played to a par-71, though. The PGA is playing at a par 70. Big difference is the 7th hole which is playing at a 524-yard par-4 for the PGA compared to its usual par-5 for members and The Barclays. How soft the course plays will dictate the scores, but even at its absolute softest and the rough at its lightest, I don't foresee the winning score going much lower than -10. The 7th through 12th holes look brutal. I think it was the 10th or 12th hole that players were complaining about in 2002 when some guys couldn't even reach the fairway.

19-bethpage-white-2x.png

Explore the course at Bethpage State Park, Black Course, the site of the 2019 PGA Championship in Farmingdale, NY, USA

Edited by ChrisP

There's a panorama video at the end of this post, rotated around 15th's teeing box it looks like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

24 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Those played to a par-71, though. The PGA is playing at a par 70. Big difference is the 7th hole which is playing at a 524-yard par-4 for the PGA compared to its usual par-5 for members and The Barclays. How soft the course plays will dictate the scores, but even at its absolute softest and the rough at its lightest, I don't foresee the winning score going much lower than -10. The 7th through 12th holes look brutal. I think it was the 10th or 12th hole that players were complaining about in 2002 when some guys couldn't even reach the fairway.

19-bethpage-white-2x.png

Explore the course at Bethpage State Park, Black Course, the site of the 2019 PGA Championship in Farmingdale, NY, USA

It was 10. But both those holes had absurd forced carries off the tee after the open from what i remember. They've altered the landing area on 10 since. It was a pretty big shot to get to the fairway even from the regular mens tees. 

I haven't played the black course this year, but the rough doesnt look any higher than normal from that photo. Looks like they took 10 or so yards off the right side of the fairway on 1, though. 

It will be interesting to see what the weather is gonna be. ANYTHING (weather wise) can happen that time of year.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 5/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, Bucki1968 said:

It will be interesting to see what the weather is gonna be. ANYTHING (weather wise) can happen that time of year.

🤨 Well it's not in upstate NY but if it was at Oak Hill again it might snow... Not even a joke.

Bethpage as a par-70 is tough. There is only so much you can do to make the course yield a couple more birdies. I assume moving the tee up at 13 will be an option, as well as the front left pin at 14. But other than that you really can't do much, even moving the tee up at 6 doesn't make it drivable. I expect somewhere around 4 to 6 under to win. Not that a 63 or 64 is out of the question at the Black. But tearing it up is out of the question.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 5/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Looks like it’s gonna be wet and cool there this month so that should make the course soft and long in two weeks. Big hitters should be at an advantage. Seems to me it sets up nice there for Rory. 

Kind of weird, I feel no compunction to attend this, I went when the last USO was held here and to Shinnecock last year. Should go at least one day though, not every day a Major is in your backyard, but just not feeling it.

Steve

@nevets88 -- have you been to a major?  I went to the Open when it was at Torrey Pines ... wow, eleven years ago.  I'm super glad I went.

You've probably had more chances to attend a major than I have, though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

32 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Kind of weird, I feel no compunction to attend this, I went when the last USO was held here and to Shinnecock last year. Should go at least one day though, not every day a Major is in your backyard, but just not feeling it.

Tiger’s gonna be in your backyard and you’re not feeling it? Hide that from @colin007.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!