nevets88

2019 PGA Championship

690 posts / 29772 viewsLast Reply

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

What makes Fowler more "interesting" than Koepka? Serious question.

Obviously this is completely subjective, so I’m not sure. It would be his first major; that’d be a big part of it. In a runaway victory, I’m much more likely to watch if it’s a “first”.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

Did you know he’s an amateur astronomer?

FWIW, Jimmy Walker is an avid amateur astrophotographer. 

My name is Jimmy Walker. I am a husband, father, golfer, wine snob, astrophotographer, and a car nerd. Its not always in that order but family is always first. We live in Boerne, TX just outside...

2 hours ago, ChrisP said:

US open going to have a lot of compelling storylines:

including -- Brooks going for the first ever major 3-peat in post-WWI era.

Actually, it would be the 2nd post post-WW1 and WW2 three-peat, after Peter Thomson's three Open Championships in 1954, 1955 and 1956.

Three of Willie Anderson's four US Opens came consecutively -- 1903, 1904 and 1905.

Other "3-Peat" Open Championship winners -- Jamie Anderson (1877, 1878, 1879) and Bob Ferguson (1880, 1881, 1882).

Tom Morris Jr. won three consecutive Open Championships in 1868, 1869 and 1870. The tournament was not played in 1871, but resumed in 1872 when Morris Jr, won again.

Walter Hagen won four consecutive PGA Championships in four consecutive years (1924, 1925, 1926 and 1927) -- the only player ever to win any major in this particular fashion.

Edited by Frank-0-Sport

5 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Actually, it would be the 2nd post post-WW1 and WWII three-peat, after Peter Thomson's three Open Championships in 1954, 1955 and 1956

You’re right. Second three peat. My bad.

Edited by ChrisP

16 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Actually, it would be the 2nd post post-WW1 and WW2 three-peat, after Peter Thomson's three Open Championships in 1954, 1955 and 1956.

It’s being gracious to call those events “majors.”

It might just be that there’s a runaway leader, but this course is seriously dull. Dull to look at producing some really dull golf.

3 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

It might just be that there’s a runaway leader, but this course is seriously dull. Dull to look at producing some really dull golf.

Care to elaborate? Why is it dull? I've never seen that adjective used to describe it.

4 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Care to elaborate? Why is it dull? I've never seen that adjective used to describe it.

I think it’s a boring course.

It’s boring. It’s great for the game when new stars develop and become legends of the game, but it’s still boring to watch. The 2000 US Open by Tiger looks great NOW, but I remember watching it in 2000 in the third round bored. It was great at the end when it was 15 shots and you were stunned at what happened, but I know when the third round was going on I was rooting for a collapse so there’d be some drama and I’m sure a lot of people here were the same way.

10 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

It’s boring. It’s great for the game when new stars develop and become legends of the game, but it’s still boring to watch. The 2000 US Open by Tiger looks great NOW, but I remember watching it in 2000 in the third round bored. It was great at the end when it was 15 shots and you were stunned at what happened, but I know when the third round was going on I was rooting for a collapse so there’d be some drama and I’m sure a lot of people here were the same way.

I'm still jealous you got to watch it.  I didn't get into golf until 2006 (other than on a roommate's xbox).  Last month was the first time I saw Tiger win a Masters as it happened. 

All and all a rather somnambulant "moving" day.

8 hours ago, Brad G said:

Yeah Rory what a pathetic career, 24 wins 4 majors 2 world golf championships, fed X cup champion ,4 times a Ryder cup winner on 5 teams, Byron Nelson award, Vardon trophies has won player of the year a couple of times.....there are players in the HOF with resumes half that size......He just turned 30 last week, has another HOF career of golf left in him.......lol what a disappointment. 

I never said he had a pathetic career.  He's had a fantastic career and I expected him not to stop winning majors in 2014.  Why is it hard to understand what it means to "become a disappointment?"  

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

The only thing it’s got is that almost every hole has a curve. 18 is pretty straight but the others have some type of bend. It’s long. But otherwise not really much to watch. Fairways need to be hit but not much decision making outside of that. I get people like deep rough but I enjoy pros who take a unique route and try to blast one down there. But when the rough is so penal it’s just a go to the fairway, repeat.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

The only thing it’s got is that almost every hole has a curve. 18 is pretty straight but the others have some type of bend. It’s long. But otherwise not really much to watch. Fairways need to be hit but not much decision making outside of that. I get people like deep rough but I enjoy pros who take a unique route and try to blast one down there. But when the rough is so penal it’s just a go to the fairway, repeat.

Yeah, but the fairway is only 20 yards wide!

I really don’t get this whole, it’s boring thing.

It’s a really long, hard golf course. The best players in the world are struggling. Doesn’t seem so boring to me…

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Yeah, but the fairway is only 20 yards wide!

I really don’t get this whole, it’s boring thing.

It’s a really long, hard golf course. The best players in the world are struggling. Doesn’t seem so boring to me…

I agree. Thousands of people don't sleep overnight in their cars to play it because it's so boring and "dull". ;-)

a166f3e1-e40f-4f5e-98a3-f3a12bd980ae-thumb2.jpg

11 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

It is pretty boring.  The thrill of it is the annoying fans and potential of a fan fighting a player.  The only other interesting thing about the course from a fan perspective is that we can play there rather easily(if you live on the east coast.)

And I thought it was just me that there was limited viewing space, ironic given the size of the course. Glad I opted for the train too. I’m tired of 30 minute shuttle rides in addition to the drive to the course. Give me the USO qualifying viewing experience any day. Had some complainers in my bus it not making the train. Not only did we get there with 15 minutes to spare, the train was late, which I expected because rush hour. Dudes, chillax.

wait.jpg?w=640

The Forecaddie strolled around Bethpage Black, thrilled that a perfect spring day emerged for...