IGNORED

Maltby by GolfWorks: Any Experience With These Clubs?

Note: This thread is 1195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, shanksalot said:

As component companies go Maltby has a very good reputation for quality components. Back when components were popular with many club builders they were one of the top three companies. You can not go wrong with their product. 

Who were the other two component companies in the top 3, and are they still around?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Besides Maltby, Golf Smith, Wishon golf, Dynacraft. Golfsmith when Tom Wishon was head designer until the company was sold and Tom started his own business. Dynacraft until the business started to slow down. They were bought by Roger Maltby. At least when I was building clubs these were the companies I dealt with the most. Alpha was a late comer but was a quality company. 

Once Golf Smith was sold they converted to almost all OEM companies. Tom Wishon  retired and sold to a group in England although their products are still available from local companies. So in a sense all three are now no longer in the top three. I have to say Golf  Works/Maltby is probably the best quality component company out there. This does not include some OEM who now produce heads for the component builders. 

• 2 weeks later...

I attended a GolfWorks school in 2012, and since then I have dealt with them mostly on golf shafts.

The GW/Maltby telephone service people are well-versed in their products. They give especially good info on the different shaft models and how they compare with each other.

If you have a question, call them on phone and talk to them. Hear for yourself.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I received my irons and have since played a few rounds with them. Not only are they great looking but I didn’t have any significant adjustment period. 

8D8244A0-D37C-4981-8B7C-89C25C8B4133.jpeg

8D4E89E6-EEFB-4F91-8CE9-20BD85A953C8.jpeg

• Like 1

Actually, I have purchased the PAKS in all cases.  Now, when I get them, I generally remove their and put on my preferred grips, as there is no choice when buying a PAK.   As I've had a club head fly off when doing my own assembly, I think it's better for me to buy them already assembled.  I'm happy with the shafts they use.  

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Deepred said:

How are the KE4’s holding up? 

Im trying to decide which head to buy. 

Funny you ask. I was just posting a review. They are great. Very forgiving and they look good as well. Just make sure you get a shaft that complements your game. Highly recommended.

I did a driver fitting about a year ago, tried numerous name brand and component heads, ended up with the Maltby KE4 head, gained quite a bit of distance over my old Callaway and Taylor Made drivers, very happy and still using it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marshall

2 hours ago, tehuti said:

Funny you ask. I was just posting a review. They are great. Very forgiving and they look good as well. Just make sure you get a shaft that complements your game. Highly recommended.

Great!

i have a set of DG105’s I’m probably going to use even though I will need to add 3/4” to them I believe. I’ve played Dynamic Gold for since before there was a Gold, lol

3 hours ago, Divot Master said:

I did a driver fitting about a year ago, tried numerous name brand and component heads, ended up with the Maltby KE4 head, gained quite a bit of distance over my old Callaway and Taylor Made drivers, very happy and still using it.

The KE4 4 wood is amazing. I am considering a KE4 #3 hybrid head and swapping out my current head for it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

well my bag as Dec. 2020  a STf2 3 wood a UFW 7 wood  a Callaway hybrid  a Tour Edge hybrid 4 iron a 6-pw  STi2 irons  3 wedges from Titleist and  Taylormade  ===  I like  Golfworks  clubs

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently went back to my first set of irons that I built back in the late 80's. They're Golfsmith Tour Model IV (similar to the Ping Eye 2).

I've been hitting much better iron shots with them but had to make a 3 deg. decrease in loft adjustment due to the fact that I normally hit a high ball, and the stock loft back then was greater than today's irons.

The Golfsmith was a very good component company back in the day, so I can only say my experience with component club making has been positive, if that helps.

golfsmith.jpg

Edited by NHpro

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing the Maltby TE's for about 3-4 years now and they're the best irons I've ever played.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

Note: This thread is 1195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!