IGNORED

TaylorMade M5/M6 Contest

Note: This thread is 1783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, iacas said:

In other words, it's not as hard to cover the losses as you'd think. They're not actually out $5.9M. Probably much, much less than that. (And for any write-in, no-purchase people, they're only out shipping and the cost to manufacture an M5 or M6 - so maybe $100? $150?)

I would imagine there would also be some sort of tax write off for TaylorMade in the event Rory wins. I sent in my paperwork so "Go Rory!".

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Sure they do. Again, they're not out $5.9M. They're out a fraction of that, which severely limits the insurance policy they'd need to get.

The big picture is they’re not going to be out anything. They’ll make a profit win or lose. The size of what it costs them and how big the insurance cost is is irrelevant so long as they get back more than they spent. In any case it’s a function of how many clubs they sell. If it’s 40,000 clubs instead of 10,000 then maybe the $5.9 million is right. Again it doesn’t matter. It matters to TaylorMade because they need to figure out exactly the exposure. We are not privy to any of those numbers so we make them up and they tell the story. You’re buried in the weeds. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Oy.

They're not really going to come out ahead. It's a marketing ploy. They'll sell a few extra drivers or get the big PR boost of giving out a bunch of refunds. The insurance policy will cover some or most of their exposure, but they're not actually gonna gain on this. Just the extra $ from some extra drivers sold… which might not even cover the cost of the insurance policy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think they do. Since it's no purchase, maybe they send you what they want to send you, outside of the generic M5/M6 choice?

I’m thinking the same. I may go back and see if they get one in I’d like to have and buy it. If not, oh well...I’ll take what they send and replace the shaft or sell.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 1783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!