Sign in to follow this  
RFKFREAK

Finding a League

5 posts / 533 viewsLast Reply

So, my work schedule come at the end of June lightens up to the point that I could probably leave work earlier than 5.  This summer I won't have any school commitments as I graduated last year.

I'm not a member of a club and the overwhelming majority of the time play public courses.  I don't have a big circle of golfing friends locally and was thinking of joining a league to so as to play more and I was curious how ppl here ended up joining their leagues and if they had any suggestions as to how to go about it.   

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

11 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

So, my work schedule come at the end of June lightens up to the point that I could probably leave work earlier than 5.  This summer I won't have any school commitments as I graduated last year.

I'm not a member of a club and the overwhelming majority of the time play public courses.  I don't have a big circle of golfing friends locally and was thinking of joining a league to so as to play more and I was curious how ppl here ended up joining their leagues and if they had any suggestions as to how to go about it.   

If there is a course you really like, call them and see if one of their leagues has an opening. I think the course is important. I played in one league that moved to a real quirky course that wasn’t fun at all.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

If there is a course you really like, call them and see if one of their leagues has an opening. I think the course is important. I played in one league that moved to a real quirky course that wasn’t fun at all.

Do they just add ppl like that?  Do you normally have to have an established handicap?

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

Do they just add ppl like that?  Do you normally have to have an established handicap?

Sometimes a league will need people to fill out a team.   I believe it happens frequently.   When I was working, I played in a league with coworkers.   

An established handicap would be a good thing to have but some leagues will go from your average score and adjust it as needed.  

I'd start calling around now, most leagues have either started or are getting ready to start very soon.

3 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

You may not need an official HC to start. A lot of leagues just use league scores for competition purposes.