Coder

Phone Apps for Swing Recording

16 posts / 1401 viewsLast Reply

What apps are people using these days?

I looked at V1 Golf but the Android app hasn't been updated since 2017 and nearly all the recent reviews are one-star complaints.

Hudl looks promising but they seem to have removed "Hudl Technique" from the Android store - is it iPhone only?

I am hoping for something more convenient than the default camera and gallery apps on my phone. I want to check myself during practice sessions without scrolling through minutes of video looking for the two seconds that matter...

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

16 minutes ago, Coder said:

I want to check myself during practice sessions without scrolling through minutes of video looking for the two seconds that matter...

Take a video of one or two swings at a time then?

It takes me like 10 seconds at the most to walk back to my tripod and stop recording after I hit a shot. I usually do two shots per video clip and even with some rehearsal swings the clips are always pretty short and doesnt take much scrolling at all to find the actual swing.

My phone is a couple years old (Samsung Galaxy S7) and it can shoot perfectly fine in slow motion. 

I used an app called "Technique" (Orange logo) for a while but I found that actually having the phone record the swing in slow motion gave me much better picture quality than I was able to get when filming through the "Technique" app.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

41 minutes ago, klineka said:

Take a video of one or two swings at a time then?

Yes, that's what I do (sorry, I was exaggerating in the original post)

Maybe the default app for playback on my Pixel 2 is the weak point - it's quite fiddly to scroll to an exact spot, and after pressing play the on-screen controls disappear so you can't immediately pause again.

I still wish there was a golf-specific app that made it a slicker operation.

Anyone out there using Hudl? Maybe I could get hold of an old second-hand iPhone to use, if it's worth it.

I use the Shot Tracer app. It will (as the name implies) trace the ball's flight if you enter that setting, or you can have it take a frame by frame and overlay them. I'll see if I can post a video of each type here.

2 hours ago, Coder said:

What apps are people using these days?

I looked at V1 Golf but the Android app hasn't been updated since 2017 and nearly all the recent reviews are one-star complaints.

Hudl looks promising but they seem to have removed "Hudl Technique" from the Android store - is it iPhone only?

I am hoping for something more convenient than the default camera and gallery apps on my phone. I want to check myself during practice sessions without scrolling through minutes of video looking for the two seconds that matter...

Have you tried a remote shutter? I've been meaning to try one of these, but haven't gotten around to it.

57 minutes ago, Coder said:

Maybe I could get hold of an old second-hand iPhone to use, if it's worth it.

The Camera App that comes with iOS makes video recording so easy. It's a great interface. I can accurately trim a video with one hand while walking in seconds. I've never seen anything come close to it on Android, albeit my Android experience is limited.

Hudl and Technique are now Hudl Technique.    It works well if that is what you are looking for.  

VLC for android works well too.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Have you tried a remote shutter?

Great idea, I will look into that, thanks.

I might also borrow an iPhone and see if the camera recording and playback is slicker than on my Pixel.

Been a while since I taped but I found the slomo on my phone is fine enough. I just trim the video for the tmextra stuff it captured to save space. The slomo on my Samsung is flgreat when theres lots of sun.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:01 PM, chicub15 said:

I use the Shot Tracer app. It will (as the name implies) trace the ball's flight if you enter that setting, or you can have it take a frame by frame and overlay them. I'll see if I can post a video of each type here.

I had no idea there was this tech available for phones....

Hmm, shot tracer looks like it's in dev on google play. I might pop the $5 for it though.

I use swingU (basic/free) for range finding and score keeping, but just my camera app for recording.

I use Swing Profile on my iPhone. The auto swing detect saves you from having to scroll through all of the time either side of the swing. It gives (adjustable) swing plane lines and the ability to draw on the swing videos (which are saved) and I can favourite the ones I want to share with my golf tutor. 

I now have the paid version so I can save unlimited videos. 

The old camera app on an iPhone works well with V1.  I have no complaints.  Record new video for each swing if you don't want to scroll.  Be sure to delete ones you don't want or face the same issue but across videos instead of multiple swings in a single video.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, JonWilliams said:

I use Swing Profile

Interesting, that is the kind of thing I was looking for. Shame there's no Android version...

On 5/16/2019 at 9:01 PM, Coder said:

Interesting, that is the kind of thing I was looking for. Shame there's no Android version...

I’ve been using this app for about six weeks and it continues to be used. Shame there’s not an Android version 😞