Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hoselpalooza

Increasing Irons Shaft Length Questions/Feedback

6 posts / 769 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

besides changing lie, anyone here have feedback about the feel/effect of lengthening irons with extenders vs. getting longer shafts? pros and cons? differences in static weight?

context: i have a spare 6i i can play with and am looking for guidance on best ways to test a new setup on my own. i play standard length shafts in my irons (2-9) and single/same length in my 4 wedges. recently i've built up new grips that add about 30g more weight than standard and added a few strips of 2" high-density lead tape to each club head to get swingweight back up. since increasing shaft length increases swing weight i'm wondering what a longer shaft would feel/play like instead of adding weight to each club head.
e.g. what kind of changes in distance, flex, kick point, trajectory? are there other important changes/considerations?

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

besides changing lie, anyone here have feedback about the feel/effect of lengthening irons with extenders vs. getting longer shafts? pros and cons? differences in static weight?

context: i have a spare 6i i can play with and am looking for guidance on best ways to test a new setup on my own. i play standard length shafts in my irons (2-9) and single/same length in my 4 wedges. recently i've built up new grips that add about 30g more weight than standard and added a few strips of 2" high-density lead tape to each club head to get swingweight back up. since increasing shaft length increases swing weight i'm wondering what a longer shaft would feel/play like instead of adding weight to each club head.
e.g. what kind of changes in distance, flex, kick point, trajectory? are there other important changes/considerations?

thanks!

I think @Adam C can help with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

besides changing lie, anyone here have feedback about the feel/effect of lengthening irons with extenders vs. getting longer shafts? pros and cons? differences in static weight?

context: i have a spare 6i i can play with and am looking for guidance on best ways to test a new setup on my own. i play standard length shafts in my irons (2-9) and single/same length in my 4 wedges. recently i've built up new grips that add about 30g more weight than standard and added a few strips of 2" high-density lead tape to each club head to get swingweight back up. since increasing shaft length increases swing weight i'm wondering what a longer shaft would feel/play like instead of adding weight to each club head.
e.g. what kind of changes in distance, flex, kick point, trajectory? are there other important changes/considerations?

thanks!

Since you have the spare club, the best way to figure out what you're asking is to go ahead and extend it, and hit it against your other 6 iron. I can tell you in theory that you might get more distance, but that doesn't always pan out with longer clubs, as it often leads to more inconsistency. Shaft will flex a bit more if nothing else changed, however if you start removing the lead tape than it will feel stiffer. Trajectory should not really change at least from what the shaft is contributing, but the longer club may influence your swing in such a way as you might see some launch changes.

As far as extensions vs. reshafting, my personal rule has always been that up to an inch or so, extensions are fine. If you are going longer than that I personally would look at new shafts. Weight change in one vs. the other is minimal. A few grams more back weighted with the overlap from the extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently broke my 6i shaft right below the grip.  Weird.  I took it and a 5i from the set that I don't use (hybrid replaced it) and had the 5i shaft put in the 6i head.  I didn't have it cut down either; left it at 5i length.  I did this because I wanted a bigger gap between my 6i and 7i even with a mediocre hit with the 6i and to bring the 6i closer to the hybrid.  I'm glad I did.  The 6i flies the way I think it should and I don't notice the difference in length or weight, but I'm sure there is a difference.  I just like the fact that it played out the way I had hoped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Since you have the spare club, the best way to figure out what you're asking is to go ahead and extend it, and hit it against your other 6 iron. I can tell you in theory that you might get more distance, but that doesn't always pan out with longer clubs, as it often leads to more inconsistency. Shaft will flex a bit more if nothing else changed, however if you start removing the lead tape than it will feel stiffer. Trajectory should not really change at least from what the shaft is contributing, but the longer club may influence your swing in such a way as you might see some launch changes.

As far as extensions vs. reshafting, my personal rule has always been that up to an inch or so, extensions are fine. If you are going longer than that I personally would look at new shafts. Weight change in one vs. the other is minimal. A few grams more back weighted with the overlap from the extension.

@Adam C, thanks for your feedback, very helpful. i'm surprised trajectory wouldn't change with a stiffer-playing shaft (minus the 6g lead tape). is this because of the added length or some other reason? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2019 at 4:10 PM, hoselpalooza said:

@Adam C, thanks for your feedback, very helpful. i'm surprised trajectory wouldn't change with a stiffer-playing shaft (minus the 6g lead tape). is this because of the added length or some other reason? 

It could effect the trajectory, whereby the stiffer shaft lowers the launch a bit, and on paper that should happen, but the longer shaft can influence this, both in reducing overall stiffness and possibly altering your swing mechanics. The longer shaft might influence your release. I ideally don't like to separate the shaft from the swing in a discussion like this. That's why my best advise is to extend one or two and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • I played my first round in 22 years on May 30 of this year. All 4 courses at Shanty Creek Resort. (It's 7 miles from the cottage). Marysville GC Oak Ridge - both courses Cedar Glen- repeatedly Golden Hawk - a lot Bello Woods Country Club Of Detroit (guest) Rammler Plumbrook St Clair Shores Muni Greystone Lake St Clair Metropark (par 3 course) Burning Tree (guest) Stony Creek Metropark        
    • Don't get your hopes up.  Women do a lot of things to attract a mate.  The only way to know if she is into golf for real, and not just to get a mate, is if she goes and plays on her own.  My wife and I have been a couple since 2006.  She has never went to play golf on her own or with just her and her friends.  She will only go if I ask her to.  I've tried getting her to play and take it up as a hobby, but I think she only got into it because I liked it, and she wanted to do something together.  She doesn't practice or even touch her clubs.  It's like pulling teeth to get her to come out.  Now, if we go somewhere on a trip and I take my clubs, she wants to ride in the cart with me and watch.  To her credit, she was walked and rode many times with me, but she doesn't play!  I think now that the kids are starting to show an interest in it, especially my daughter who hits on the sim with me some, she's starting to show an interest again.  In fact, once I built the golf tent for the simulator room, she came out in pretty cold weather and hit balls for a good long while.  She had a nice push draw going too!  
    • Have you looked into “Tiger Stepping”?  I’ve always had trouble flighting down wedges with wedge specific shafts but have just lived with it.  My best wedge flight came from my old Ping Eye2’s that were before someone came up with wedge shafts.  Check it out, I think it has to do with using your sets 8 iron in the wedges.
    • This is probably a good place to point out that the Rules of Golf now include a local rule for an option to Stroke and Distance, primarily to speed up play in more casual rounds.  There's also a Model Local Rule to address the "leaf rule" situation.  For your own purposes you could utilize both.  So its possible to play by the rules and still not hold up play by searching too much.
    • FWIW, the media reports that Pandemic unemployment benefits will end at the end of the year are bogus. Missouri stopped paying them altogether in October, saying the State fully opened without restrictions in June. Of course, that's fake news; you can look at BLS employment data and see the facts.  In the tourist area of Branson, for instance, 1/2 of the normal 9000 seasonal workers have not worked at all this year. 2019 Jul   42555 2020 Jul   38015 & as far as people staying at home to collect $600 a week, that ended at the end of July.  So, more would be employed in August because they had to go back to work, right? 2020 Jul   38015 2020 Aug   37643 Nope, fewer were working because many entertainment venues are closed for the year.        
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Augie
      Augie
      (62 years old)
    2. Dukes1304
      Dukes1304
      (35 years old)
    3. Mmgolfwiz
      Mmgolfwiz
      (57 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...