IGNORED

What Kind of Golfer Are You?

Osnola
Note: This thread is 1758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would characterize myself a serious low-ish mid capper who takes their game seriously but not themselves anymore.

Not that I am happy shooting 88 when I do  but it doesn't affect my mood as much as it did even a year ago. Lately, glad to get a club on a ball whenever life allows.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im sort of a ty webb type. Ive never taken the game itself all that seriously, but ive had stretches of where i was really good at it. Now i view myself as a good club level player that mostly likes to golf in order to get out of the house for 4-5 hours. 

2 hours ago, Osnola said:

Good question.  I do play from the forward tees.  I started doing that when I turned 70 last February.  I like to play tees from about 5700 yards to 6100 yards.  Anything longer than than and i really struggle.  I just do not have the distance I used to have.  Drive is about 210 and 7i is 150 to give you and idea of my distance....

Thanks. I'm about the same length as you, too, but still hit from the whites.

The crummy kind with no natural inclination for scoring.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I am a serious golfer, although not to the point of being ridiculous. I play by the rules, all the time, but I really don't care if the people I am playing with do (unless we are playing for something). I do not play for the exercise nor for the social aspect, but I like to walk and most of my friends I made on the golf course. I am trying to play my best every time I tee it up and when I do not score well it makes the round significantly less enjoyable. The vast majority of my rounds are competitive, either tournaments or money games. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Competitive...  I enjoy tournament play, and can’t imagine even a casual round with my buddies that doesn’t have at least a few dollars, along with serious bragging rights on it.

Quick...  There’s nothing better than a leisurely 3-hour round with my usual 5-some.

Lazy...  I love to play golf, and like everyone, hope to improve.  But I won’t take any active steps to actually do so.  I have no desire to take lessons, or to practice.  The only time I spend on the range is for a 20 ball warm up prior to playing.  The practice green is 5 minutes to gauge speed.

Short (by internet standards)...  Driver: 230, 3-hybrid: 195, 7-iron: 150, and PW: 118.

Steady...  I spend most of time in the short grass, and very close to, or on the green.  I make a lot of pars, a few too many bogeys, and not that many doubles or birdies.  My last 20 rounds average score is 80.2, with a low score of 76 and a high of 84.  Current index 7.3 and anti-index 9.5. 

Enthusiastic...  59 rounds in the 20 weeks year to date so far.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Enthusiastic...  59 rounds in the 20 weeks year to date so far.

You suck! 😜(jk) 

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

im a ball striker and a great mid range putter. i can hit some great tee shots and iron approaches but it comes at a cost because when you mishit with a high swing speed you can throw a really big ugly sideways divot

I think of myself as a relaxed golfer, happy to play alone or with a group, for fun or in competitions but as soon as money gets mentioned (£5 for nearest to pin) I go to pieces, I have been told I play too fast and should take more time but think it's not going to make that much difference to my handicap so just keep going at what I think is a normal speed, playing for fun I'm called a bandit (21 handicap) because I get descent scores, and in the club comps I get poor scores (they say I'm protecting my handicap) I think it must be a mental thing and I have to work at not putting pressure on myself in the comps.

a wannabe amateur and life-long enthusiast. i think i have potential to develop a competitive game, but i also enjoy golf for the camaraderie, beautiful scenery, and sometimes the peaceful solitude of a casual solo twilight round.

two big things i get out of golf are pure joy and constant improvement. so even if i'm struggling to strike the ball well i try to use it as an opportunity to pay attention and learn something new. i'm not an outwardly emotional golfer but on the inside i'm a very driven perfectionist and have been overly critical of myself in the past. i've since learned to look at frustration as a kind of failure in and of itself which makes me (mostly) happier during struggles, both on and off the course. i think many hurdles i've overcome to play golf have improved my life outside of the game, so in a way i've also used golf as a tool to become a better person.

i admit that last bit sounded cheesy as i typed it out, but enough people have shared a similar sentiment with me that i know i'm not the only one. golf is much more than a simple game to me, it's become a metaphor for life. however, when people ask me if i golf i will probably always continue to call myself "just a wannabe". 😉

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

58, 60lbs overweight, bad back, bad hips, bad knee, arthritis setting in.....  Been playing nor for about 6 years.  I realize that I will never be anything other than a double digit handicap golfer, but that doesn't stop me from trying to do my best and improve what game I have.

I'm the guy that gets pissed at himself for bad shot, but typically over it by the time I get to the ball.  I am usually by myself, but, willingly will play along with others and have a good time.  I also tend to play a little better when I am with a better player. 

Not much feels better than when you take a swing, know you made great contact and see that ball go like you see it done on TV.  Those shots that you see happen in your mind and it actually happens.  That par 3 where you drop it next to the pin.......  The pitch up onto the green that rolls into the cup. 

Somewhat OCD when I take up a new hobby.  Better than sitting in front of the TV all the time.  I actually started to try to spend some time with my father who had 50 + years of golf behind him and still scored in the 80s.He passed a couple years ago, and I kept playing.  Typically 2-3 times a week i'll be out and play 9 on the way home.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

On 5/22/2019 at 4:01 PM, trainsmokegolf said:

im a ball striker and a great mid range putter. i can hit some great tee shots and iron approaches but it comes at a cost because when you mishit with a high swing speed you can throw a really big ugly sideways divot

Yep,  this stuff really played out a couple days ago.  I holed out for eagle with a well struck 7 iron,  no more highlights to speak of but I got the reaction on instagram

This is what golfs about,  the great moments

I am a rubbish golfer, and have been for eight months. I know what to do, have been able to previously do it, but now find myself gradually getting worse. The crazy thing is that I still enjoy it, because I have the right attitude, and know I am getting older. Fresh air, great company, and the opportunity to stay fit, so what else matters ?

- Simon Hornsby

I don't know. A weird one. I had four birdies on Friday and shot 87. Those things do not jive.

EDIT--Also, in case you think I may be one of those long hitters who just get in trouble a bit, I'm not. No penalty shots in that 87 with four birdies. Just a lot of bad shots.

Edited by Aguirre

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 1758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!