IGNORED

2019 U.S. Open

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 1736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Jay28 said:

If he gets to 18 majors, it will be at the Masters, not on an Open or US PGA set up.

I rather agree with you. For what it's worth, based on 2019's performance, to win 19 majors all he has to do is show up fit and well to Augusta for 4 years out of the next 8 and the discussion is pretty much over. In spite of the 700 pages (or whatever) of the Jack vs Tiger thread, the discussion is already pretty much over, but 4 more green jackets would close the file and lock it in a drawer for a very long time, perhaps indefinitely. I wouldn't bet against those 4 green jackets.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I’m disappointed that the US Open is not a true US Open this week. I understand the weather has a lot to do with it, but I also feel the USGA has given in a little bit to the players demands of making the setup easier. 30 players under par sounds more like a PGA Championship rather than a US open. The US Open has an identity, and if the USGA decides to lighten up and let the Championship become more like the RBC Heritage, then it’s not the US Open anymore. I’ve heard Jason Gore is trying to “please the players more”. What makes the US Open is the challenge, not guys double digits under par.

Edited by ChrisP

18 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I’m disappointed that the US Open is not a true US Open this week. I understand the weather has a lot to do with it, but I also feel the USGA has given in a little bit to the players demands of making the setup easier. 30 players under par sounds more like a PGA Championship rather than a US open. The US Open has an identity, and if the USGA decides to lighten up and let the Championship become more like the RBC Heritage, then it’s not the US Open anymore. What makes the US Open is the challenge, not guys double digits under par.

I see your point, but remember Pebble is a short track.  Further, because the greens are so small, hitting the middle of the green yields a makeable putt quite often.  This was exacerbated by soft greens as well.  

Back in 2010, there were like 10 players under par after the first day, but the wind really kicked up later on.  Nonetheless, we still saw some really low scores here and there, like DJ's low one on Saturday before his collapse.  The USGA "tricked up" some holes then too with shaved banks and much faster, yet bumpy greens.  To me, this year they got the course in really good shape and just let them play.  I want to see a tough test, but I also don't necessarily want it contrived to the point that good shots aren't rewarded.  I'm fine with "punishment" if you don't hit the right tier or whatever, but I don't want to see well-struck shots hitting the middle of the green rocketing over the back and into a hazard.

I think this year has been pretty good by and large.

18 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

30 players under par

There's only 23 as I looked currently.  I don't think how many players are over or under par matters much.  It's more about scoring relative to everyone else.  That's how the players will view it too; I don't think anyone cares what they shoot so long as it is better than the next guy.  

Edited by ncates00

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I see your point, but remember Pebble is a short track.  Further, because the greens are so small, hitting the middle of the green yields a makeable putt quite often.  This was exacerbated by soft greens as well.  

Back in 2010, there were like 10 players under par after the first day, but the wind really kicked up later on.  Nonetheless, we still saw some really low scores here and there, like DJ's low one on Saturday before his collapse.  The USGA "tricked up" some holes then too with shaved banks and much faster, yet bumpy greens.  To me, this year they got the course in really good shape and just let them play.  I want to see a tough test, but I also don't necessarily want it contrived to the point that good shots aren't rewarded.  I'm fine with "punishment" if you don't hit the right tier or whatever, but I don't want to see well-struck shots hitting the middle of the green rocketing over the back and into a hazard.

I think this year has been pretty good by and large.

Like I said, a lot of it is weather-based. I'm disappointed because I feel like the identity of the tournament, and why most people love the US Open, is because of its toughness. I was watching it at a bar with friends yesterday and everyone was like "Isn't this the US Open? Why does it look so easy? And the risk of putting it on a short track along the seaside is you depend a lot on wind to make it tough. And if the wind doesn't blow, you get what you get.

However, the USGA also has thrown the players some bones this week. I was there every day in 2010. It really wasn't that windy. Two of the days were just like they've been this week. One day was sunny but pretty calm, and another was sunny and breezy. The first round lead was -2 that year and less than 10 players broke par. The difference was a couple things:

1) The greens were fast from the start in 2010. They didn't water them as much pre-tournament as they did this week. Watching the Golf Channel earlier in the week, they said the USGA was putting a lot of water on the greens pre-tourney and the course was very soft Wednesday. In 2010, they did very little watering pre-tourney.

2) They've used some easy pin positions this week. They never used the pin on 17 in the front in 2010. Never used the pin on 14 like they did Thursday. Players beat that pin up. Don't remember them using the pin at 3 right there in the front like they did on Friday. They set up pins on 9 and 10 more towards the ocean in 2010 as well. They've used hole locations on the left side of the green this year more often rather than the ocean side.

Not saying those changes would have made a ton of difference, but it could have made things a little trickier on the greens and more demanding on the approaches. But I would 75% of the good scoring has to do with the weather. Even if they made those changes, the leading score would still probably be somewhere between 5 and 8 under.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Lots of red numbers on the board so far. Tiger should be able to score well.

Has he given any indication that this will happen this week? It's scary how bad some of these shots/putts are.

Colin P.

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

Has he given any indication that this will happen this week? It's scary how bad some of these shots/putts are.

Yeah, I feel like a moron because I convinced all my work buddies Tiger would be in the hunt come late Sunday. Propped him up and he let me down.

5 hours ago, Jay28 said:

Agree - the injuries seem to have taken away so much from his game. 

He'd be better off skipping Portrush and getting a win elsewhere - he has zero chance of winning The Open

Lol! You’re an entertaining read

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Somebody tell Joe Buck to stop talking!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Crikey, Tiger's fallen apart.  It's like his first round, except the putter is not working.  This might be the 80 that he should have shot on Thursday.

Looking forward to the leading groups - it's a shame McIlroy and Koepke are not playing together.  That would have been fun to watch.  

36 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Somebody tell Joe Buck to stop talking!

What is it you find so egregious about him?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On 6/13/2019 at 7:15 PM, Vinsk said:

It's just Thursday

Sun results

Reavie 63

Woodland 68

Hovland 67

Rose 70

Koepka 65

Not quite enough for Koepka and Reavie as Woodland holds the lead and walks into history

I guess I'm rooting for McIlroy. Woodland is pretty meh, and I've seen enough Koepka major wins for a while. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Just now, jamo said:

I guess I'm rooting for McIlroy. Woodland is pretty meh, and I've seen enough Koepka major wins for a while. 

Me too....but mostly for an 11-1 longshot wager I placed on him this morning....he just gotta get it going early (says mr. obvious)

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

3 minutes ago, jamo said:

Koepka winning three in a row would be a great story. May never happen again in our lifetime. So I personally would like to see history. If not him, I’ll prolly pull for Woodland. Seems like a good guy and is a good player. Wouldn’t be a “wow” win but neither would anyone else other than Brooks or Rory.

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Like I said, a lot of it is weather-based. I'm disappointed because I feel like the identity of the tournament, and why most people love the US Open, is because of its toughness. I was watching it at a bar with friends yesterday and everyone was like "Isn't this the US Open? Why does it look so easy?

I agree, it's too easy this week.  Tiger is having a terrible week, and he's still 2 over.  When he won in 2000, the players tied for second were 3 over.

Note: This thread is 1736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!