525 posts / 18461 viewsLast Reply

Kudos to Woodland for a great tournament. Very impressed with how he held off any jitters to play some solid golf. Love that he finished with that birdie instead of a lag and par!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Woodland's Strokes Gained by Category, 

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.36.44 PM.png

Send this to Azinger.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Chris223 said:

Woodland uses graphite shaft irons, don’t see that often

I don't think they're graphite, just the black version of the c-taper.

Good on Woodland.

Viktor Hovland ended up as best amateur in his second straight major at T12 with -4.

One of the best US Opens I've ever seen. The strength that Woodland showed he had to hit the shots he had to hit was amazing

8 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Spieth had a good run there in 2015-16. Had a run of 5 majors where he went 1st-1st-4th-2nd-1st. And that 4th was one shot out of the playoff. Now comes the hard part for Brooks. He's been driving on adrenaline trying to prove doubters wrong and he's had an amazing run. Now he has to keep it going and try and win more majors and also win some PGA Tour events. Spieth had that hot stretch, too, but then lost the mojo. 

Yeah, Koepka will have to somehow sustain his rage. Maybe, Chamblee needs to keep calling him 'weak'...😆.

I swear to god Phil's birth certificate must just say "U.S. Open Sunday." Every single year I read something about how Sunday was his birthday. I know it's not true, but it's 100% true. 

9 minutes ago, jamo said:

I swear to god Phil's birth certificate must just say "U.S. Open Sunday." Every single year I read something about how Sunday was his birthday. I know it's not true, but it's 100% true. 

Born June 16th.   His birthday changes every year. ;-)   

7 hours ago, Zeph said:

Good on Woodland.

Viktor Hovland ended up as best amateur in his second straight major at T12 with -4.

and It's his last am event, it would have been nice to see him finish 1 stroke better and finished T9 - as that gets an automatic entry into next years US Open,

Great win for Woodland - don't know why, but I was pleased for him ( I don't know anything about him).

I really don't get too enthusiastic about Koepke much because he seems a little bland, but his golf game is brilliant. Four rounds in the 60's and didn't win. Pretty amazing.

Tiger was frustrating again on Sunday - amatuer level for 6 holes and then shreds the next 12 in 6 under. 

McIlroy - very disappointing.  A dumb decision on 2 off the tee cost him his chance. 

Was gutted for Adam Scott... got it to -9 and had a chance and then inexpicably hit it 100yards right off the tee out of bounds.  How can that swing be so far off line - ever???

Edited by Jay28

37 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

and It's his last am event, it would have been nice to see him finish 1 stroke better and finished T9 - as that gets an automatic entry into next years US Open,

He’ll get in next year’s Open. He’ll probably get in the British. He’s going to make an impact early as a pro. May even win one of his first few tournaments he plays. I feel like he’s going to make a mark early on Tour. I’ll go on a limb and say he gets a top-15 finish this week.

Also, Tiger likely not playing again until the British. So that means he'll have played a total of 2 1/2 tournaments between Augusta and Portrush. That's 10 tournament rounds over 3+ month span. 

Edited by ChrisP

26 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

He’ll get in next year’s Open. He’ll probably get in the British. He’s going to make an impact early as a pro. May even win one of his first few tournaments he plays. I feel like he’s going to make a mark early on Tour. I’ll go on a limb and say he gets a top-15 finish this week.

Also, Tiger likely not playing again until the British. So that means he'll have played a total of 2 1/2 tournaments between Augusta and Portrush. That's 10 tournament rounds over 3+ month span. 

Am's that display that kind of constancy agaist pro competition usually become multiple major winners. It'd be interesting to see what Hovland does in the next 18 months. 

All Tiger cares about are the majors. I doubt well ever see him play more than 10-12 tournaments a year in the future. It feels like to me that Tiger is pretty much going to depend on catching lighting in a bottle for a week for the rest of his career. Thats a hard way to get wins. 

10 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Am's that display that kind of constancy agaist pro competition usually become multiple major winners. It'd be interesting to see what Hovland does in the next 18 months. 

All Tiger cares about are the majors. I doubt well ever see him play more than 10-12 tournaments a year in the future. It feels like to me that Tiger is pretty much going to depend on catching lighting in a bottle for a week for the rest of his career. Thats a hard way to get wins. 

With Tiger, I hope it's not like Darren Clarke where he put so much energy and effort into winning a major that once he won it, he lost some of his drive. I do think the drive may not be there as much after winning the Masters, but I also think the body is giving him issues. I keep hearing since the Masters "I need some rest", which makes me worry about his health moving forward a bit. I don't know what kind of shape he's in physically, but if he's only playing three tournaments in a 3+ month span, that means he's likely not feeling great.

Edited by ChrisP

50 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

With Tiger, I hope it's not like Darren Clarke where he put so much energy and effort into winning a major that once he won it, he lost some of his drive. I do think the drive may not be there as much after winning the Masters, but I also think the body is giving him issues. I keep hearing since the Masters "I need some rest", which makes me worry about his health moving forward a bit. I don't know what kind of shape he's in physically, but if he's only playing three tournaments in a 3+ month span, that means he's likely not feeling great.

We were discussing this also. Tiger is physically brittle.  Something can go wrong at anytime so he is backing off playing.  Another thing tho and this is more personal but his children are at that age where alot of my buddies have backed off their recreations to have more time with their children.  Soccer dads so to speak.  Just my .02. 

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Ah, he was that close. The way he's been playing, he will hopefully qualify through other means.

He also posted the best tournament of an amateur ever in a U.S. Open. The previous record was held by Nicklaus with 282 at Cherry Hills Country Club in 1960. Hovland shot 280.

1 minute ago, gjunkie57 said:

We were discussing this also. Tiger is physically brittle.  Something can go wrong at anytime so he is backing off playing.  Another thing tho and this is more personal but his children are at that age where alot of my buddies have backed off their recreations to have more time with their children.  Soccer dads so to speak.  Just my .02. 

I just wonder how seriously he sees 18. I know it meant a lot when he was younger, but today, it may not mean as much. If he gets it, he gets it. If he doesn’t, he doesn’t. It’s not the end of the world for him. I don’t think he wants to jeopardize his future health by fixating himself on the record. There are other things more important for him now, which sucks for us because we don’t get to see him much and not at his best that often, but it’s good for him.