IGNORED

2019 U.S. Open

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Spent a quick 3 hours at the Sectionals in NY. It was either spend 3 more hours and still hit bad traffic or leave early and get a wee bit of traffic, something in between would have been mind blowingly bad traffic.

This guy hit it to 6 feet, 180ish yard par 3.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Just hand it to Tiger and lets move on to Portrush. 

Well, he should at least make the cut this time...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Well, he should at least make the cut this time...

:beer: - yeah, watching some of the Memorial on Sunday it seemed like the announcers were ready to hand Tiger the US Open trophy because he played great for 12 holes that day (the rest of the event he was slightly better than average).

There is no doubt that if he is on his game for 4 days Tiger can win next week, same can be said about at least a dozen other players....what, I think, we all want to see is at least 2 or more of them play well and have it be an exciting tournament to watch on the back nine on Sunday.

Players play, tough players win!

I think Pebble will be scoreable next week. Sadly, the USGA will prolly give in to the players desires to make the course play easier and Pebble has birdie opportunities, particularly on the first 7 holes. A lot will depend on the wind, though, and if it kicks up.

I wish there were more opportunities to watch golf like the USO Sectional. The actual USO is just a major headache as is any regular Tour event. To be able to park, walk 5 minutes to the first tee and follow a group with barely any encumbrances, no masses of people, is quite the experience. Much easier to follow the ball when you can position yourself anywhere you want. And this time, I remembered to use Game Golf and got yardages while watching. Maybe I should try and watch more women's events. The ironic thing is I got way more closeup videos at the actual USO because the ropes were so close to the tee boxes, wheres in the Sectional, I wanted to give the players their space, and hesitated to take any videos from close quarters. The thing I noticed yesterday was how aggressive they were playing. Instead of taking the side route, a lot of these guys tried to hit through the trees when their tee shots were off. I heard a lot of knocking on wood. I guess they have to though, they have to go low.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I wish there were more opportunities to watch golf like the USO Sectional. The actual USO is just a major headache as is any regular Tour event. To be able to park, walk 5 minutes to the first tee and follow a group with barely any encumbrances, no masses of people, is quite the experience. Much easier to follow the ball when you can position yourself anywhere you want. And this time, I remembered to use Game Golf and got yardages while watching. Maybe I should try and watch more women's events. 

I've done that at the US Am, and at senior PGA events (and my brother went to some LPGA events near here and said you could move around anywhere you'd like) - I don't think there are any regular tour stops that would have a crowd that allowed you that type of experience.

Players play, tough players win!

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I wish there were more opportunities to watch golf like the USO Sectional.

There are a ton. Look up your regional (state) golf association events. WPGA has a full list of scheduled events here: http://www.wpga.org/chp/rsc/competitions-schedule.html.

29 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The actual USO is just a major headache as is any regular Tour event. To be able to park, walk 5 minutes to the first tee and follow a group with barely any encumbrances, no masses of people, is quite the experience.

It's also not the spectacle, nor the level of performance.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like the USGA took Tiger’s advice and grew out the rough for the Open. I’m assuming they’ll keep green speeds a little down especially compared to 2010.

GCLogo.png

There was some concern about the U.S. Open setup at Pebble Beach. From the looks of this Instagram...

Also tee times released:

us-open-tee-times-tiger-woods.jpg

Check out full 2019 U.S. Open tee times for the first and second rounds at Pebble Beach...

• Like 1

if you're in the mood for vintage tiger at pebble, golf channel recently aired the 2000 U.S. Open during its "golf's greatest rounds" feature. 

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

PGA Players, ‘We just want it to be fair.’ What a dumb comment. They’re all playing the same course. It is fair. Doesn’t matter if the fairways are 5yds wide and 3’ rough. It’s the same for all the players. Shut up and play it as it is.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

PGA Players, ‘We just want it to be fair.’ What a dumb comment. They’re all playing the same course. It is fair. Doesn’t matter if the fairways are 5yds wide and 3’ rough. It’s the same for all the players. Shut up and play it as it is.

As a teacher (not of golf... obviously), I have to deal with the same thing.  I have students who tell me a test isn't fair.  For some reason, I get this more when I give tests where everyone gets the same form as opposed to ones with multiple forms.  

Professional golf tournaments are about as fair as golf can be.  Sure, one batch might get better weather (see also:  speculation from 2009's U.S. Open that Tiger might have won had he been in the opposite grouping on Th/Fr) or something, but everyone's playing the same course, from the same tees, to the same pins, no one can sandbag or get strokes they're not entitled to, everyone has the same rules, the same number of clubs, the same setup. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

As a teacher (not of golf... obviously), I have to deal with the same thing.  I have students who tell me a test isn't fair.  For some reason, I get this more when I give tests where everyone gets the same form as opposed to ones with multiple forms.  

Professional golf tournaments are about as fair as golf can be.  Sure, one batch might get better weather (see also:  speculation from 2009's U.S. Open that Tiger might have won had he been in the opposite grouping on Th/Fr) or something, but everyone's playing the same course, from the same tees, to the same pins, no one can sandbag or get strokes they're not entitled to, everyone has the same rules, the same number of clubs, the same setup. 

Yeah. Whiners like Justin Thomas are basically saying not only do they want to make millions for playing golf but they want to have fun doing it to! Ungrateful, spoiled brats. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Shindig said:

I can understand venting some frustration on some things, such as the greens at CB in '15 and the third round pin positions on a couple holes last year. But to threaten to boycott the US Open over it? That's outright absurd and childish, in my opinion. Vent your frustration and move on. Don't keep whining about it. It looks like Pebble is going old school US Open and growing out the rough and narrowing the fairways. That combined with some cold and breezy weather that is predicted should be enough to keep the players whining more next week.

Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!