cartertheraptor

Bethpage Black

82 posts / 3916 viewsLast Reply

13 minutes ago, LICC said:

Great point. The fairways are narrow but the hole corridors are wide, so you don't lose many balls and you do have opportunities after bad drives to get the ball back in play

Yeah-who doesn’t love hacking it out with a wedge when you miss a 20y wide fairway-Great fun!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

The fairways are wider than 20 yards. And depending on your distance and lie, you may or may not be able to go for the green. If you miss by a lot the corridors are wide enough that you may find your ball and get back to a decent position, unlike certain other tree-lined courses.

9 minutes ago, LICC said:

The fairways are wider than 20 yards. And depending on your distance and lie, you may or may not be able to go for the green. If you miss by a lot the corridors are wide enough that you may find your ball and get back to a decent position, unlike certain other tree-lined courses.

Ha ha ha.-Okay 25 yards wide which is almost the max of most fairways.- And Trees don’t matter much when they are 50 yards apart. BPB is a hack fest.

I have to go with boring but difficult. 

12 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Ha ha ha.-Okay 25 yards wide which is almost the max of most fairways.- And Trees don’t matter much when they are 50 yards apart. BPB is a hack fest.

Of the 14 non-par 3 holes on the Black, the ones where if you just missed the fairway and were in the rough, say 5 or 10 yards in, and you could not realistically go for a GIR are: 5, 9 (although that is a big miss, 9's fairway is 35 yards from left bunker to right edge), 10-12, 15-16. So on half the course you still go go at the green if you missed the fairway on a good drive.

1 minute ago, Phil McGleno said:

Exactly, and lets not forget that majority of golfers do not have the swing speed to advance the ball that far out of thick rough. Especially since they can't hit anything other than short to wedges or they might leave in the rough.

13 minutes ago, LICC said:

If you miss by a lot the corridors are wide enough that you may find your ball and get back to a decent position, unlike certain other tree-lined courses.

Tree lined fairways are not that much of a problem. Most of the time you will be able to advance it further towards the green versus being in heavy rough with a short iron. Also, I find trees tend to not hurt much and can help. I can't remember the last time I had to punch out sideways. I play more tree line fairways then open courses with high rough.

@saevel25Direct quote from Tom Doak on a forum asking about proposed changes to the 1st and 18th holes on Bethpage Black:

"In general, I don't see any need to redesign any holes at Bethpage Black.  I'd maybe take out some of the bunkers that aren't original.  But mostly I'd just mow it differently."

Just now, LICC said:

@saevel25Direct quote from Tom Doak on a forum asking about proposed changes to the 1st and 18th holes on Bethpage Black:

If by mow differently he means add width to the fairways at strategic points, that would greatly modify the course in a good way. Just my take. 

Note, quoting a single golf architect doesn't mean his opinions are correct. He could be making the comments because he doesn't want to be controversial.

6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Note, quoting a single golf architect doesn't mean his opinions are correct. He could be making the comments because he doesn't want to be controversial.

Nor does it mean he’s “right.” It’s an opinion. Not a fact. Doak has also previously said the Black was a batter design in the 90s before Rees redid it.

But @LICC is incapable of moving on. Incapable of talking about anything else. Pity.

Bethpage Black merely needs a water feature on number 18. A lake or a pond with a fountain and a car floating on it. Now it's a great course.

Edited by Double Mocha Man